2011 Golf Lessons - My Journey

Great stuff Ole Gray !
My game needs some work too, just don't know who to go to at the moment .

ST - My coach also has me using the drill with my back against a wall or my golf bag teaching me not to go to flat inside with more of a up, down , and through the ball. This feels really weird but it something I will have to make a change to, for more consistent swing plane, spine angle and solid ball striking. This feels really weird and my distance loss is quite a bit with some push shots to the right. He said I will notice this at the beginning until I get the feel for driving through the ball. He wants me to use more of my left hand to pull hard into the impact area instead of powering through with my right hand.

Nice work Gray. I know you're working really hard with this and I love the fact you've embraced what you bring to the table. Can't wait to see you nail the Bear Trap at the outing!

This feels really weird but it something I will have to make a change to, for more consistent swing plane, spine angle and solid ball striking. This feels really weird and my distance loss is quite a bit with some push shots to the right. He said I will notice this at the beginning until I get the feel for driving through the ball. He wants me to use more of my left hand to pull hard into the impact area instead of powering through with my right hand.

I've been working on this some as well. I recently made a minor modification to my swing. I loosened my grip to get better wrist action. But sometimes I get a little lazy on the downswing, and if I don't pull with my left arm, I'm likely going to push shots off to the right.

My Dad always told me (and someone told him), if your golf swing feels comfortable, your not doing it right. I don't know how completely true that is, but when I'm fixing something in my swing, I ignore that it feels weird and simply admire that it produces a better golf shot.

Keep up the good work!

I've been working on this some as well. I recently made a minor modification to my swing. I loosened my grip to get better wrist action. But sometimes I get a little lazy on the downswing, and if I don't pull with my left arm, I'm likely going to push shots off to the right.

My Dad always told me (and someone told him), if your golf swing feels comfortable, your not doing it right. I don't know how completely true that is, but when I'm fixing something in my swing, I ignore that it feels weird and simply admire that it produces a better golf shot.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks McRock. Both of the things you mention above (underlined) was mentioned by my swing coach. It helps to hear other golfers going through the same type situations. Below is an excerpt from what our THP Pro Andy told me about my lesson and it also helped reinforce my goals.

Per Andy

"Gray he has you working on some very good things. Sounds to me like you just don't have the feel for connectin on the down swing yet. The more vertical feel and better top position is huge to a simpler more repeatable swing. Keep up the work and I would love a video to see how you are doing."

My response was:

Andy -- I will have Kelly take a video to show my progress. The feel of the swing feels weird but right at the same time as I feel like my body is turning through the shot. My local coach said the exact same thing you did about the vertical swing. It reminds me of a segment in the Tom Watson CD collection, where he found the the secret in 1998. He was tired of pushing his shots and while watching Corey Pavin on the practice range it hit him. He described it as a feeling similar to coming over the top with his swing but in actuality it corrected his spine angle allowing him to fire through the ball with a more solid impact. It's really cool to feel the right move but like you said I have not make the connection yet.

p.s. Good luck with your tournament schedule this summer and I will miss seeing you at WPB!

I shot a 92 today and it was not all bad considering what I was doing. I was working on a couple of moves my instructor gave me for homework last week. I was doing it all wrong until I hit the back nine. I have another lesson tomorrow a.m. and he will go over what I am working on and add more homework to it. I can almost feel the missing link in my swing. It's so close to being right.

It is good to read that you are seeing good things come of the work you are doing. It can be tough at times but I told myself a long time ago that the teacher always knows what is best. Trusting someone is always the hardest part in the beginning and it appears you are set in that area. Look forward to hearing more.

It is good to read that you are seeing good things come of the work you are doing. It can be tough at times but I told myself a long time ago that the teacher always knows what is best. Trusting someone is always the hardest part in the beginning and it appears you are set in that area. Look forward to hearing more.

Hoosier -- +1000. One of the mistakes I realized today was my right hand was not turning through the shot so the butt end of the grip was pointing down my target line. Something so simple but easy to lose sight of. I have an online journal that I post in when the light bulb comes on. :good: Going back and reading the positive confirmations is refreshing.

I am getting ready to leave for lesson #2 of my 4 - pack session. I'm not sure about you guys think but I always get a bit nervous heading to a lesson. Excited yes, but a bit nervous as working on a swing is somewhat risky. What if I hack the ball in front of my instructor? All kind of little negatives can creep into your mind. I just suck it up and think of all the positives that can come out of it. I mean the first step towards getting better is to admit you have a flaw. I am going in with my head held high and a I kind get er done attitude. I paid good money for these lessons and I am going to get every pennies worth out of it. I like to take notes of the things the coach stresses during my time with him. The important part is taking it home and doing the homework. Why pay if you are not willing to put into practice the correct techniques. If there are any of you out there who have thought about lessons but are a bit timid, suck it up and go. What if you get embarrassed? No one will give a crap next week and remember it but yourself and you should not harp on the negative. Ok getting ready to become the best possible golfer I can be and going into todays lesson with nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain!

Last edited:
Lesson #2 wrap up:

1. Think circle. My coach was saying even as flat as Matt Kuchar and other on tour are, they follow through on the same circle for their swings. My circle feels like starting from my right shoulder and the turn around feeling like I am hitting through to the left side of the fairway. It actually keeps me through the shot and back around my left shoulder. Feels odd but I hit some very crisp shots.

2. The second drill he had me working on was taking a short (3/4) back swing and punch down and left. He wanted me to feel as though I was thinking of hitting a low punch hook. This also teaches me to hit ball first and drive through the left side of my stance.

3. The third drill was the Gary Player step through drill. This drill will help me feel the full turning through the left side. I hit the shot and then follow it with my right foot. It's a great drill to teach momentum and follow through.

4. The fourth drill he had me turning my body through the ball first with my arms and hands following. It takes a bit of rhythm to master this but it teaches lag.

5. The fifth drill was taking practice swings with the grip always ahead of the club head into the ball. It was a forward shaft lean drill while punching shots.

It was a great lesson for sure!

Next week we will work full time on the wedge game, chip shots, and sand shots. The fourth lesson will be a playing lesson to include down hill, up hill, and side hill lies. This lesson will be very interesting from the different lies.

I plan on signing up for another four pack after I am finished with this set. I can feel my swing evolving. It is a work in progress and my goal of solid ball striking is looking good!

Last edited:
Nice write ups Gray. I definitely try and pick up some new drills when I read your entries. Thank you so much for sharing!

Played yesterday with the revised swing and came in after six holes. Things got very ugly and I was not going to aggravate myself. Hit the driving range and still could not work it out. Balls were flying hard left hooking like the Lady in Red with the dark black stockings :beat-up:.

I went out today after reviewing some notes from my lesson and with a minor tweak of my grip (weaker position) along with the position of my hands (too low) it was much better. I shot 89 which was not what my ultimate goal is at least somewhat somewhat better. I will write down my grip modification in my personal journal so I can review it prior to my next round. I believe with the weaker grip and my hands up a bit in my setup, the fairways will become my friend.

I am excited about next week as our friend SW Fla is coming up to play some golf with us Wednesday.

This is great to read Gray, and should hopefully inspire some people to take lessons. And yes, for the timid out there afraid of looking bad in front of the instructor, don't be timid. The reason you need lessons is because you may be chunking it or pulling it or whatever. Knowing a golf pro personally, believe me, the golf pros have seen every kind of problem there is, and they know how to fix it. It took me a long time to get the courage up to get a lesson a couple years ago, but it was well worth it. 30 minutes of one lesson, and all my problems were fixed. Purely a posture and grip issue, but I had to pay some a pro to fix me.

The other great thing about this thread Gray is that we get to read about how you are bringing your lessons to the course. And when things don't go well, it's nice to hear that you are still sticking with what you are being taught. I know from personal experience that it can be very easy to get flustered with a swing change, go back to 'your old swing' and just play it and forget the 'correct' swing you are being taught. It sounds like you are definitely sticking with what you are being taught. Good luck with it.

I will be very excited to hear about your wedge game and chip shots. I just started working on them this week (on my own, no lessons yet this year).

This is great to read Gray, and should hopefully inspire some people to take lessons. And yes, for the timid out there afraid of looking bad in front of the instructor, don't be timid. The reason you need lessons is because you may be chunking it or pulling it or whatever. Knowing a golf pro personally, believe me, the golf pros have seen every kind of problem there is, and they know how to fix it. It took me a long time to get the courage up to get a lesson a couple years ago, but it was well worth it. 30 minutes of one lesson, and all my problems were fixed. Purely a posture and grip issue, but I had to pay some a pro to fix me.

The other great thing about this thread Gray is that we get to read about how you are bringing your lessons to the course. And when things don't go well, it's nice to hear that you are still sticking with what you are being taught. I know from personal experience that it can be very easy to get flustered with a swing change, go back to 'your old swing' and just play it and forget the 'correct' swing you are being taught. It sounds like you are definitely sticking with what you are being taught. Good luck with it.

I will be very excited to hear about your wedge game and chip shots. I just started working on them this week (on my own, no lessons yet this year).

Thanks McRock and yes, it is an ongoing process. It's funny how two little tweaks and the stuff I was taught last week ,starting working! I was hitting the ball straight and some with a slight fade. It was really cool. I don't have a lesson this coming week as my pro will not be in town. My short game lesson will come week after next. I am looking forward to it!

I was out today practicing and the LIGHT BULB CAME ON! I hit the ball better today than I have in years. It's the new move my coach had me working on. I take club head outside the hands on the take away and the pull through my left side which is finishing the swing. I am excited! Solid as a rock and love it !

I was out today practicing and the LIGHT BULB CAME ON! I hit the ball better today than I have in years. It's the new move my coach had me working on. I take club head outside the hands on the take away and the pull through my left side which is finishing the swing. I am excited! Solid as a rock and love it !

Glad the change is working for you bud. I'm gonna put that light bulb out tomorrow though!

I kid of course...maybe ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

These are the moments in golf we all live for. Congratulations!

thats great, keep up the good work!

That's nice to hear Gray. I look forward to hearing about your next round of golf. :)

That's nice to hear Gray. I look forward to hearing about your next round of golf. :)

I am playing tomorrow with SW Fla & DawgDaddy! Looking forward to putting the game under the spotlight, I think :D.... It's going to be beautiful weather, good company, and a fun day on the course. Can't wait :thumb:

Glad the change is working for you bud. I'm gonna put that light bulb out tomorrow though!

I'm looking forward to seeing how cozy you have gotten with that driver, you busted quite a few last time. I am thinking it will be fun to see.

Yep, I hope it all comes to the course with you, I know sometimes that bulb must come on 2 or 3 times for me to be able to game what I have learned. I'm wanting to see you in that groove your coach has you in.

Yep, I hope it all comes to the course with you, I know sometimes that bulb must come on 2 or 3 times for me to be able to game what I have learned. I'm wanting to see you in that groove your coach has you in.

I hope his light stays on longer than mine does after a lesson. :act-up:

I'm looking forward to seeing how cozy you have gotten with that driver, you busted quite a few last time. I am thinking it will be fun to see.

Ha! We are in the love hate stages right now. Put it on the monitor last night after playing some twilight golf and hitting well. Something was off, spin rate was up in the low 4000 with an ugly launch angle and zilch for roll. Sitting in the hotel doing chair drills and 3 tee reroutes hoping to figure something out.

Ha! We are in the love hate stages right now. Put it on the monitor last night after playing some twilight golf and hitting well. Something was off, spin rate was up in the low 4000 with an ugly launch angle and zilch for roll. Sitting in the hotel doing chair drills and 3 tee reroutes hoping to figure something out.

I am having 2 really good rounds to each mediocre round with the driver. That is much better than the 1 good round to 4 so so rounds with the old one. Hope to bring a really good one tomorrow.

Last edited:

I will report back tomorrow evening good or bad how my ball striking goes :thumb:. I have only one swing key that my poor brain will have to think about. If I can keep my thoughts on this, the ball striking will be there, now about the putting, it's a entirely different animal. I'm looking forward to whacking it around with the two R11 homeys.

Back