TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Great first post Rad Rob and welcome to THP!

This is my first post on this board, and just wanted to tell everyone thanks for educating and entertaining me over the past few months.

I've been looking for new irons for six months or so, I'm a lefty so selection is a bit iffy sometimes, and my game is "inconsistent". (That's a euphemism for kinda crappy - I'm a 26 index.)

A local shop was having a demo day this past weekend, so I went out in search of left handed irons to hit. I hit the Cobra S3, Cleveland CG16 and CG16 Tour, Ping i15 and the TP CB.

I was having a good ball striking day and hit everything pretty well. The Ping iron was nice, but not flashy in any sort of way. I hit a rocket of a 5 iron shot with the Cleveland CG16s. But with the jacked up lofts on the Cleveland iron, it's hard to compare to the other 6 irons I was hitting.

I've had my eye on the CB for awhile now, and they had a 6 iron club head that I tried with four different shafts. I hit the DGXP in stiff and regular, KBS Tour in stiff, and a Project X in 5.5. I'm 52 years old and swing a 5 iron in the high 70s, and my 150 yard club is a 7 iron. So a Regular shaft probably fits me best.

The comments on this site about the CB are spot-on. You guys have done an excellent job talking about the club's characteristics. First off, the look inspires confidence. The ball flight is high, but that's a part of my game I'm trying to improve. So this iron's flight characteristics are good for me. Distance was hard for me to judge because the range we were using had no yardage markers! Seemed like it was a bit shorter than I'm used to by maybe five yards, but that's just a feel/guess. Fat shots were ugly, but well struck shots were a thing of beauty. The CBs are probably more club than I ought to be playing, but what's life without goals! My plan is to play at a level that makes them worth being in my bag.

Making a long story as short as I can - I couldn't get over the feel and look of these irons at address. They just screamed "own me". So I placed an order this morning.

I'm getting the 4 iron through A wedge. Standard length DGXP shaft in regular flex, and 2 degrees upright. Should be here from Taylormade in about a week, but I'm hoping for this Friday so I can play with them this weekend.

Welcome to the site, Rob. Congrats on the new sticks! I hope that you'll come back to update us after you get them out on the course.

This is my first post on this board, and just wanted to tell everyone thanks for educating and entertaining me over the past few months.

I've been looking for new irons for six months or so, I'm a lefty so selection is a bit iffy sometimes, and my game is "inconsistent". (That's a euphemism for kinda crappy - I'm a 26 index.)

A local shop was having a demo day this past weekend, so I went out in search of left handed irons to hit. I hit the Cobra S3, Cleveland CG16 and CG16 Tour, Ping i15 and the TP CB.

I was having a good ball striking day and hit everything pretty well. The Ping iron was nice, but not flashy in any sort of way. I hit a rocket of a 5 iron shot with the Cleveland CG16s. But with the jacked up lofts on the Cleveland iron, it's hard to compare to the other 6 irons I was hitting.

I've had my eye on the CB for awhile now, and they had a 6 iron club head that I tried with four different shafts. I hit the DGXP in stiff and regular, KBS Tour in stiff, and a Project X in 5.5. I'm 52 years old and swing a 5 iron in the high 70s, and my 150 yard club is a 7 iron. So a Regular shaft probably fits me best.

The comments on this site about the CB are spot-on. You guys have done an excellent job talking about the club's characteristics. First off, the look inspires confidence. The ball flight is high, but that's a part of my game I'm trying to improve. So this iron's flight characteristics are good for me. Distance was hard for me to judge because the range we were using had no yardage markers! Seemed like it was a bit shorter than I'm used to by maybe five yards, but that's just a feel/guess. Fat shots were ugly, but well struck shots were a thing of beauty. The CBs are probably more club than I ought to be playing, but what's life without goals! My plan is to play at a level that makes them worth being in my bag.

Making a long story as short as I can - I couldn't get over the feel and look of these irons at address. They just screamed "own me". So I placed an order this morning.

I'm getting the 4 iron through A wedge. Standard length DGXP shaft in regular flex, and 2 degrees upright. Should be here from Taylormade in about a week, but I'm hoping for this Friday so I can play with them this weekend.

congrats Rob! Make sure to stick around and post some pics when they come in.

That is Awesome!!! Congrats on your purchase and thank you so much for coming in and letting us know that you got them and that you enjoyed our reviews. Good luck with the CB's and we hope to see more of you on THP!

Welcome to THP Rob. I specifically like your 'raise my game to the clubs' mentality. Good luck!

I'm having a hard time deciding what irons to get also. I do know I want TM, I'm very loyal to my brand... LOL I normally don't have a problem with heigth on my shots. I get the ball plenty in the air! Heck, I think I hit it too high. Any suggestions? Still making my way thru the MB and MC threads... Sure are a lot of posts... LOL

I'm having a hard time deciding what irons to get also. I do know I want TM, I'm very loyal to my brand... LOL I normally don't have a problem with heigth on my shots. I get the ball plenty in the air! Heck, I think I hit it too high. Any suggestions? Still making my way thru the MB and MC threads... Sure are a lot of posts... LOL

Well, one way to get that trajectory lower would be the shaft. If the CB is best fit for your game then all you need is the right shaft and Boom!

I would take your loyalty and let it go. There's no reason not to try everything on the market.

I would take your loyalty and let it go. There's no reason not to try everything on the market.

+Eleventybillion

But, if you are already of higher ball stricker (and are good with your irons) the MC might be a good option. The MC seems to be giving testers a little bit lower ball flight that the CB's.

+Eleventybillion

But, if you are already of higher ball stricker (and are good with your irons) the MC might be a good option. The MC seems to be giving testers a little bit lower ball flight that the CB's.

Im not sure I agree with this one. Should one really remove the forgiveness they might be looking for?

Im not sure I agree with this one. Should one really remove the forgiveness they might be looking for?

Since he has been viewing the TM TP iron and 2.0 threads it seems he wants to go with a TM iron. I was just basing my quick reccomendation on the fact that the CB's will get the ball into the air really high. If he is looking for a lower ball flight the MC's might be a better option. But I totally agree with you, if forgiveness is your #1 deciding factor and you were between the MC's or CB's, the CB's would be a no brainer. Deciding what is important to you and what will improve your game will help you narrow down and choose your clubs.

I think brand loyalty is a nice gesture, but trying different brand clubs will open up your eyes to what you like and don't like, and what is good/bad for your game. In my personal opinion I love hitting different brand clubs, it gives me a new perspective on gear and technology that can help change my game. Many times I'm surprised by the results both good and bad.

If ball flight is an issue, I'd be looking a shaft options to pair with the head that will give you what you are looking for in terms of distance, forgiveness, feel, etc. The shafts in the MC's are a big reason they are low launching.

Stll reading the threads on the CB and MC. I'm leaning towards the CB's. But I am definitetly gonna hit the 2.0's, CB's and MC's. Then I will make my decision. What about shafts tho? Like I said before I hit the ball high naturally, I'd like to control that part better. And I am definitely doing a fitting! I've never done one. Do they charge for a fitting if your buying the clubs?

Stll reading the threads on the CB and MC. I'm leaning towards the CB's. But I am definitetly gonna hit the 2.0's, CB's and MC's. Then I will make my decision. What about shafts tho? Like I said before I hit the ball high naturally, I'd like to control that part better. And I am definitely doing a fitting! I've never done one. Do they charge for a fitting if your buying the clubs?

I think the first step is finding out if you hit the ball too high or just right. I think too often people associate high ball flight as a bad thing, but IMHO its a good thing as long as its not a ballooning high flight.

In my opinion they are balloons. But like I have said before I'm an amateur what do I know.

And I am definitely doing a fitting! I've never done one. Do they charge for a fitting if your buying the clubs?

I'm in the same boat as most. I'm between MCs and CBs. I'm actually leaning towards MCs right now, but who knows. I haven't hit the CBs on actual turf yet.

As for the cost for fitting, it just depends. I know golf galaxy said they would 'waive' the fitting fee since it was new clubs that TM would ship to my specifications. They are also waiving it because their definition of fitting is trying multiple clubs out.

My local pro shop does not waive the fee. Clearly there's no club modification charges, b/c the clubs will come straight from TM to my specification. While I have to pay a fitting fee here, my local pro shop has the TM select fit, and I don't think my Golf Galaxy does. That has it's benefits, particularly with trying out grips, club heads, and shafts.

Either way, $50 to have a $900 set of clubs fit to you is pretty minimal cost compared to the large benefit of having clubs fitted.

I'm in the same boat as most. I'm between MCs and CBs. I'm actually leaning towards MCs right now, but who knows. I haven't hit the CBs on actual turf yet.

As for the cost for fitting, it just depends. I know golf galaxy said they would 'waive' the fitting fee since it was new clubs that TM would ship to my specifications. They are also waiving it because their definition of fitting is trying multiple clubs out.

My local pro shop does not waive the fee. Clearly there's no club modification charges, b/c the clubs will come straight from TM to my specification. While I have to pay a fitting fee here, my local pro shop has the TM select fit, and I don't think my Golf Galaxy does. That has it's benefits, particularly with trying out grips, club heads, and shafts.

Either way, $50 to have a $900 set of clubs fit to you is pretty minimal cost compared to the large benefit of having clubs fitted.

I totally agree!

In my opinion they are balloons. But like I have said before I'm an amateur what do I know.

we all are buddy, hit them on a launch monitor with someone who knows what they are talking about and they will tell you if the launch angle is too high

Some places waive the fee if you get fit on a TM demo day sometimes. $50 is miniscule investment in making sure everything is the way you need it to be. Can't wait to see which clubs you decide on.

Welp it's officially. TM called me today to confirm something and let me know my order is complete and going to be shipped. The CB's are coming home!

Welp it's officially. TM called me today to confirm something and let me know my order is complete and going to be shipped. The CB's are coming home!

Congratulations! Yours and mine are in a race to the finish. Expecting mine hopefully Friday - we'll see.
You and I are definitely different golfers - I need a regular shaft. I was toying with the KBS Tour 90 shaft in regular flex, but it was about 10 grams lighter than the DGXP in regular. That, along with the mid-high ball flight in the KBS Tour 90 convinced me to go with the Dynamic Gold XP. When I pick up my irons at the shop, I'll hit the 7-iron on their launch monitor. I want to see what the distance is and get a look at the representation of ball flight and launch angle. I just don't know if I trust launch monitors to be completely accurate. Seems like it's a representation, but how does it calculate ball flight and distance with complete accuracy? Two rounds of golf are planned this weekend, I hope the new Taylormade CBs arrive in time.

Thats awesome buddy!!!!

Had a great day with the CB's today. TC and I played 36. we played the back 9 3 times and I par'd the same par 3 all 3 times. It is 189, a little down hill and I hit the green all 3 times with my 7 iron. Also, I was in a fairway bunker about 220 out on hole 4 which is a long par 4, I had a tree in my way so I decided to fade the ball around the tree with a 5 iron, damn if I didnt do it. I was way short of the green but had a 60* in my hand and bogeyed the hole. All in all, I was loving my CB's today, again, I am seeing the same distances as I was getting out of my CLeveland CG7's. so, distance loss is not there unless they are compared to a stronger lofted club.

Had a great day with the CB's today. TC and I played 36. we played the back 9 3 times and I par'd the same par 3 all 3 times. It is 189, a little down hill and I hit the green all 3 times with my 7 iron. Also, I was in a fairway bunker about 220 out on hole 4 which is a long par 4, I had a tree in my way so I decided to fade the ball around the tree with a 5 iron, damn if I didnt do it. I was way short of the green but had a 60* in my hand and bogeyed the hole. All in all, I was loving my CB's today, again, I am seeing the same distances as I was getting out of my CLeveland CG7's. so, distance loss is not there unless they are compared to a stronger lofted club.
Rock on buddy, that is awesome! I cannot wait to hit these in a few weeks, I really liked them for the short period of time I hit them at the Kingdom. I love the looks and I really liked hitting them too.

you can definitely take a few shots with mine dude...
Rock on buddy, that is awesome! I cannot wait to hit these in a few weeks, I really liked them for the short period of time I hit them at the Kingdom. I love the looks and I really liked hitting them too.

Back