Scotty Cameron putter branding

SamYYZ

Reaction score
So, I've always wondered why I've been averse to SC putters. I finally realized that I'm not comfortable having someone else's name plastered all over my putter. A brand name, yes.. a person's name, no. I think the limit of what I'd be willing to accept is the Vokey name on a wedge (although granted I'm partial to Cleveland wedges.. also a person's name).

Is this an oddity or are there others out there that feel the same way?

I don't have an issue with having a designer's name on anything. I prefer not to have a player's name on anything though.

I never went with Scotty's because of some issues I have with (insert the standard disclaimer that this is just my opinion) him copying other designers work, the incredible amount of overhyping by fanboys, not being a fan of stainless steel putters as much as carbon steel putters and last the prices.

I used a Cameron for a while and never really thought about it like that. I like Bettinardi putters and that is his name as well. Heck, Cleveland wedges, Callaway, etc...are all someones name when you think about it. Granted he uses the first name which I have always thought was a little odd.

In the end, its about branding and there sure are a lot of people that love that SC brand on their putter. Im not one of them mind you, but there sure are lots that do.

Good point about most brands being names at the end of the day, JB. :) Maybe it is the first name that throws me off too. Plus some of his putters have his name on them three or four times, not counting the head cover. It all just seems a little much to me I guess.

This was all driven home for me when I was happy to pay SC prices for my custom NC Gambler. It underscored that it wasn't really the price of the club that was pushing me away from SC putters.

Your reasons for not playing Cameron putters are your reason. I find it a little silly. But that doesn't mean you're wrong for having that opinion.

This was all driven home for me when I was happy to pay SC prices for my custom NC Gambler. It underscored that it wasn't really the price of the club that was pushing me away from SC putters.

It's probably the price of these putters that has scared me away in the past. I've tried a few Scotty putters in the past year and thought they were very well designed putters. Do I think they are the best: No. But they are excellent putters and different putters suit different peoples games. If I had the $$$ to buy one I would still prob not, but the name, recognition, and branding, have made these the go to putter for many.

Being in marketing I can always appreciate a good marketing/branding strategy.

I have been using a Cameron for about 5 years now and I've also got a few LE Camerons. Personally I can see why that bothers some people. I feel like within the last year or so it has gotten a little excessive (The Laguna 2 for example has Scotty Cameron on the front, back and sole I believe). Personally I like a lot of his older models & headcovers from a few years back - more dancing headcovers without Scotty's name or initials and more putters with less writing and script on them... To each his own I guess but as JB stated names are on everything these days.

This thread is dangerously close to merging with the $300 doller putter thread.
I Always turned my nose up at SC's and other >$300 plus putters. Thought the price was ludicrous and a $300 doller scotty couldn't be $200 better than a $100 Ping Anser. I now game an Old Scotty Pro PLatinum, 11 year old putter it was still $100 used (WTF!?)
I used to think Scotty's were just like high priced italian Sports cars. They charge an Arm and a Leg only because they can.
But I won't lie, I've been a Anser/zing style blade putter my whole life. And this Scotty Newport is the nicest most solid putter I've ever used.

I dont think that anyone can tell you that you are wrong for not liking Camerons for that reason. Its definetly a new reason for not liking them though, I dont think Ive heard that one before.

A name is a name is a name!! That being clarified if your SC putter feels good to you then use it. I like my Odyssey putter but some swear by Nike or Ping. I don't think a name should deter you from using it. Unless it is a $$$$ thing, then I think that money can be better spent. Like on THP attire maybe!!

I understand where you are coming from. If it was just a Titleist Cameron would you feel different? This thread has made me think of some interesting things...

Ralph Lauren
the Ferrari Enzo
Hugo Boss
Abercrombie & Fitch – David T. Abercrombie and Ezra Fitch
Adidas – Adi Dassler (kind of)
Wal Mart/Sams Club -Sam Walton
Baskin-Robbins – Burt Baskin and Irv Robbins
Bridgestone – Shojiro Ishibashi; The name comes from a calque translation and transposition of ishibashi, meaning "stone bridge".

Disney, Ben and Jerrys, Cutter and Buck. The list goes on, lol.
I understand where you are coming from. If it was just a Titleist Cameron would you feel different? This thread has made me think of some interesting things...

Ralph Lauren
the Ferrari Enzo
Hugo Boss
Abercrombie & Fitch – David T. Abercrombie and Ezra Fitch
Adidas – Adi Dassler (kind of)
Wal Mart/Sams Club -Sam Walton
Baskin-Robbins – Burt Baskin and Irv Robbins
Bridgestone – Shojiro Ishibashi; The name comes from a calque translation and transposition of ishibashi, meaning "stone bridge".

Yeah I'm more than willing to admit that this is an odd foible of mine. I spent about 20 minutes putting with a Newport 2.0 at a golf shop and really like it. But I just knew I wouldn't buy it because of the branding.

Is my favorite suit a Hugo Boss? Yes. Would I wear a t-shirt that says Hugo Boss on the front, back, and sleeve? No.

Same thing for the other brands mentioned in this thread. I have no objection to any of them, but I wouldn't make myself a walking advertisement for anyone them.

Thinking about it, one of the reasons I like my Ogio bag is it's understated badging. :)

I'm weird.

I can understand your point. I really do not like golf bags with callaway, taylor made or any other brand name written all over the sides. Ok, I BOUGHT your product, I paid for it, why the bleep should I pay for carrying around a huge commercial? If they had given it to me, no problem. SC putters I just do not like because of the looks, it has a hippie look to me, especially the head covers, dreadful.

I can understand your point. I really do not like golf bags with callaway, taylor made or any other brand name written all over the sides. Ok, I BOUGHT your product, I paid for it, why the bleep should I pay for carrying around a huge commercial? If they had given it to me, no problem. SC putters I just do not like because of the looks, it has a hippie look to me, especially the head covers, dreadful.

Personally, I think most SC putters are gorgeous, but I wouldn't game them. I don't like their business practices.

Personally, I think most SC putters are gorgeous, but I wouldn't game them. I don't like their business practices.

+2. His putters are ok but nothing special. There many other options out there that are just as good if not better, plus I agree that Cameron does have a bit of a checkered past, and that in itself is a huge turnoff to me. JMO of course.

When I think about it, I find branding interesting. We tend to like to display the brands that we bought with pride for one reason or another. I am no different, but why do we do this? When I was a little higher up in a different sport, I thought about not displaying any brands unless the company either a) gave me the equipment or b)sponsored me in some form or fashion. We are really paying for the privilege to be brand ambassadors as well as using their equipment. People like TC could probably get free equipment if they petitioned a company to give them free equipment in exchange for putting it in their sig. Talk about extremely cheap advertising. I am not suggesting this, but THP reaches thousands of people every day and having a low handicap saying they like their equipment might speak louder in some instances than having a pro play it. I know I trust what people like JB, TC, P4B, OEM, Hanks, Hawk etc. say about clubs. When they like something, chances are that I am going to to go a store and try it out.

People like to display the brands they choose because of the reputation associated to the brand -- i.e. we want to show that we own quality products. :)

I agree with what you're saying. My latest golf purchases have been very significantly influenced by the reviews and opinions on THP!

I have fallen in love with Seemore putters after I started reading on this forum, I can not understand why!

I disagree that Scotty Cameron is just out to set up his brand. I have gamed a Scotty for years, my first was a hand me down bullseye from a relative that Scotty designed with he worked for Acushnet. Yes Scotty is setting up by branding his putter on the PGA tour with MANY players but on the average tour event, 60% of players are playing with a Scotty Cameron, not because of the name, not because of the look but because of how they play. Granted he does charge an arm and a leg just to customize it but you get what you pay for.

I have always had a Scotty and I will always play a Scotty, not because of the look but because of how it plays.

Play what you like but dont knock the guy for branding his image, setting up a brand loyalty WORLDWIDE, and making a great line of putters.

My 6 yr old sons name is Cameron, and on my Newport ss2.0 it says Cameron on the back and on the face. He thinks this is so cool so I cut it down and Put it in his bag. The blade style putter does not fit my stroke or my eye, I just replaced it with a Cleveland Classic Black Platinum mid mallet #2. I got a great deal on the Cameron so I dont feel at all horrible about my 6 yr old having an expensive putter. FYI, LOVING the new Cleveland Putter.

He is welcome to set up his brand, and trust me, he has been. He is the undisputed KING of marketing, and he does not even run commercials. As I said above, I am sure they putt great, and they certainly look nice, but I will NEVER give that thief a red cent of my money, even if I could afford his through the roof prices. Take a look at his "Casanova" design. Now take a look at the NC Gambler. NC came up with an AMAZING idea to reinvent themselves. Scotty sees it, realizes that it is good, and takes the idea for himself. For that, he has lost me as a potential customer, and short of donating me a vital organ, he will never change that.

I disagree that Scotty Cameron is just out to set up his brand. I have gamed a Scotty for years, my first was a hand me down bullseye from a relative that Scotty designed with he worked for Acushnet. Yes Scotty is setting up by branding his putter on the PGA tour with MANY players but on the average tour event, 60% of players are playing with a Scotty Cameron, not because of the name, not because of the look but because of how they play. Granted he does charge an arm and a leg just to customize it but you get what you pay for.

I have always had a Scotty and I will always play a Scotty, not because of the look but because of how it plays.

Play what you like but dont knock the guy for branding his image, setting up a brand loyalty WORLDWIDE, and making a great line of putters.

Im not sure I agree with a lot here, but that is an opinion and I will leave it at that. I do have a question though? Where did you get the 60% number? Not even close to what we have here, so I am curious about that?

Last edited:

Has as much, if not more to do with "Pay for Play". This is the darkside of what this great game has become on tour.

Back