Niblick Unboxing & Thread

On Friday night a packaged arrived from UPS which contained a 56 degree Niblick that I purchased off of ebay. Got it for $44 shipped and it looked basically brand new (has the authentic label with the serial number, etc).

Got to the course yesterday morning to walk 36 but did not get to hit this club at full distance prior to starting my round. First opportunity to use it was on hole number 2. I absolutely bombed a drive 290 down the middle of the FW and had 75 yards left to the flag. Pulled this out and hit it 55 yards. So, left me short of the green but was a good learning experience. Cool thing was seeing the ball get in up in the air so quickly. I have a high ball flight already but really struggle with hitting a 54 SW out of the fairways (typically either hit fat or skull it). So I now knew that my max distance was probably 60 yards or so.

I had several other chances to hit the club including one where I had to get the ball up about 50 feet into the air while only about 25-30 feet behind a tree. No problem at all with this club!!! It looks and feels so big compared to a regular SW but acted the same performance wise yet just MUCH easier to hit. With the ZIP grooves, the ball even stopped immediately upon landing (even with a Staff X1 distance ball).

I am very impressed by this club and so glad to have it in my bag - it has already saved me strokes on the course and I had no problems playing it from various lies. Now off to look for a 49 degree!! :banana:

glad to hear that went well for you

I have the 42*, I like it, I just need to practice more, as Ive had a lot of run outs

Really thinking of buying the 56* as well, and who knows, maybe the 49 too lol

I have been reading all the threads related to Niblick today and there was lots of enthusiasm about Niblicks over a year ago. How many people still have at least one in their bag at this point?

Is the new "conforming" Niblick different other than the grooves?

Thanks all.

I have been reading all the threads related to Niblick today and there was lots of enthusiasm about Niblicks over a year ago. How many people still have at least one in their bag at this point?

Thanks all.

Good question. I just got mine a few weeks ago but have not seriously practiced with it and have had mixed results the few times I have used it. I want to be able to really practice with it but I have some tournaments coming up this month so I'm sticking with what's comfortable for now and keeping it out of the bag.

I wonder how many people kept theirs and how they used them. What degree do you think is best? I'm kind of wishing I had bought the 49° for around the green chips mostly.

Last edited:
I think the 56 is ideal for flop shots or having to carry something with some height. I can hit mine 50-55 comfortably but would not recommend using it for touch shots around the greens.

I am now looking for a 49 that I can use for shots from 65-85 yards and perhaps around the greens a bit more. I could not be happier with the 56, fits my style (or lack thereof) perfectly!

Thanks all.

The 42* was the first one I purchased and it is still in my bag today along with the 49*. I at one point had all 4 in my bag and I have had thoughts of putting the 56* bag from time to time. All of these are the original Niblicks not the new editions.

Thanks all.

I just picked one up recently thanks to forum member Jman. I have used it for 4 rounds and I don't see any reason why it will leave my bag anytime soon. I have the 49. It really simplifies the short game for me.

I have teh 42, wish I had bought the 49, cause the 42 has some serious roll out. I know part of that will be fixed with some practice.

Part of me is SERIOUSLY considering buying the 49 and the 56 too

But if I have to buy just 1, it will be the 56, need something with more air time around the greens

The 42* was the first one I purchased and it is still in my bag today along with the 49*. I at one point had all 4 in my bag and I have had thoughts of putting the 56* bag from time to time. All of these are the original Niblicks not the new editions.

I just picked one up recently thanks to forum member Jman. I have used it for 4 rounds and I don't see any reason why it will leave my bag anytime soon. I have the 49. It really simplifies the short game for me.

Thank you, I have seen similar clubs appear for a little while then disappear from friends bags.

I think I can make room for one maybe to replace my 48 degree wedge or 60? How is the 56 niblick off super tight lies around small hard greens? I am pretty good with the 60 in that situation and do not want to lose that capability. Other traits such as sand, deep rough, soft wet lies, all sound like the niblick may be superior. Thoughts please?

I still have mine and love it (49)

Thanks all.

The 49 is great just for this reason alone
Good question. I just got mine a few weeks ago but have not seriously practiced with it and have had mixed results the few times I have used it. I want to be able to really practice with it but I have some tournaments coming up this month so I'm sticking with what's comfortable for now and keeping it out of the bag.

I wonder how many people kept theirs and how they used them. What degree do you think is best? I'm kind of wishing I had bought the 49° for around the green chips mostly.

The 49 is a great club for me from 85-100
I think the 56 is ideal for flop shots or having to carry something with some height. I can hit mine 50-55 comfortably but would not recommend using it for touch shots around the greens.

I am now looking for a 49 that I can use for shots from 65-85 yards and perhaps around the greens a bit more. I could not be happier with the 56, fits my style (or lack thereof) perfectly!

told you that this would find a place in your bag, man. Assault!

Thanks all.

I have had all 4 of them for over a year and still consistently play the 42* and 49*. I rotate in the 37* and 56* depending on the course. For my short game they were and are a revelation. I am certain the Niblicks allowed me to break 100 and playing them has actually improved how I swing my other irons.

Last year I bought the 42 and the 49 as I had slowly really let my short game go due to lack of practice to the point where I had no confidence (or ability) to consistently hit good shots from less than 75 yards in. The niblicks were great but I thought their usefulness was still somewhat limited when the fairways were soggy or where the greens were really elevated. So this spring I made a concerted effort to really practice my short game and so now I don't use either and sold them to a friend. For me the key came when a friend who used to bum around on the mini tours told me that the key to hitting those 3/4 or less wedges was to make sure to take a shorter backswing than I thought I needed. He said that would cause me to then accelerate through the ball since mentally I would think I need to get more oomph on the ball and more likely not be herky jerky. No more decelerated laying the sod over or the last second wrist pop scull shot over the green. And with a little bit of practice, his little tip cured me. The other night I got up and down 5 out of 5 times over 9 holes.

Niblicks are gret, I have the 42* and just bought a 49* and 56*, hoping that some time with these will improve my scoring now, my confidence and allow me to get back to hitting "regular wedges" at some point

When I refer to the niblick swing, I am referring to a chipping/pitching stroke. No breaking of the wrists for the most part.

For short chips and shorter pitches I like to think "putter swing". Stand square, center the ball, hit it like a putter. KISS. If I start thinking "Open your stance, open the blade, hinge and hold, tilt the shaft, hit it like a wedge" etc, it takes away from the ease of the club. The club is stupid easy if you keep it simple. Longer shots are similar, just a big steep backswing with very little rotation. Keep the ball center or back/center. At least for me thats what works. These clubs are like cheating they are so easy and well worth the verbal abuse you take from other players and having to deal with questions like "why the hell do you carry 4 chippers???" and "what is that? damn thats ugly". Almost every round I play with strangers I get a comment of some sort.

Im all for anything thats going to help lower your score....and these do for sure

The 56* niblick is a mixed bag, definately not a magic club for me yet. Here's the scoop:
I went to the baseball field across the street. So I'm hitting everything from the rough ad it's dropped 3 - 5 inches of rain the last few days. So that's the turf conditions.

I chip Utley style, ball forward, deloft the club, rotate through. I was hittng everything thin. I couldn't hit pitches either. I was starting to wonder if the niblick doesn't work well with his technique.

I did seem to do ok using a putting stroke.

You dont hit a Niblick like that for chips and pitches. Use PUTTING STROKE with the ball centered. Straight back, straight forward. Imagine you have a putter in hand with a huge putt. Keep it simple.

On half and full swings keep body rotation to a minimum. Use big steep swings.The Niblick will throw darts!

You dont hit a Niblick like that for chips and pitches. Use PUTTING STROKE with the ball centered. Straight back, straight forward. Imagine you have a putter in hand with a huge putt. Keep it simple.

On half and full swings keep body rotation to a minimum. Use big steep swings.The Niblick will throw darts!

I actually use both methods very successfully. I do urge you all not to overlook the full swing with the nibs, awesomeness and pinpoint too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I actually use both methods very successfully. I do urge you all not to overlook the full swing with the nibs, awesomeness and pinpoint too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually use fill swing more than chipping. They are money on approach shots. Point shoot and watch them land on the green. Way easier and more accurate than normal wedges.

Ive tried a few full swings on the range, the results were scarry so I havent tried it out on the course yet, I know it just takes practice.

I have used it from 40-50 yards and its dead on all the time!

My Niblicks Have Arrived.....finally

My Niblicks Have Arrived.....finally

After 14 days in the mail from Illinois to Ohio, the 49* and 56* Niblicks that I bought right here on THP have arrived in the mail.

I cannot wait to get some time in with these, of course Im playing Saturday and have NO TIME whatsoever to get used to them....oh well, cant do any worse than just chipping with my regular wedges

So tell us....How did the 49 and 56 work for you on the course?

After 14 days in the mail from Illinois to Ohio, the 49* and 56* Niblicks that I bought right here on THP have arrived in the mail.

I cannot wait to get some time in with these, of course Im playing Saturday and have NO TIME whatsoever to get used to them....oh well, cant do any worse than just chipping with my regular wedges

well, the 42* and the 49* are the real deal, im using them all over, including some full swings.

I havent practiced enough with the 56* to form an opinion. I do know I need to practice with all of them, as I have a tendency to not trust my swing and end up hitting them all real short

I'm curious....Anybody out there still carrying all (4) Niblick lofts, (i.e. the 2010 series of 37*,42*, 49*, 56* lofts)....?????

Since the Niblicks work so well for full shots, (as well the short game), the advantage to carrying all (4) could be simply to have the most versatile short iron/wedge bag mix possible. I suppose if you had to pass on one, it would be the 37* (the 9-iron replacement), but that said, I haven't found anything a conventional 9-iron can do any better than a 37* Niblick. In fact, the 37* Niblick actually works better for knockdown shots into the wind than my conventional 9-iron, while obviously being the better chipping club. (I have also noted that other brands of "chipper-type" clubs out there are usually 37* loft because that loft seems to produce the most consistency from the fringe).

Interesting that Cleveland dropped the 37* for the new 2011 Niblicks, but perhaps the move to conforming grooves had something to do with that. It can be tough to control the rollout of the 2010 37* for longer chips on fast greens. The zip grooves did help more to control that shot. It isn't much of an issue with shorter chips from the fringe, however, which is the more typical "chipper" club role. Perhaps Cleveland just dropped the 37* to try and shed the "chipper club" reputation once and for all. I don't think anyone really can seriously write-off the higher-lofted Niblicks as just another "chipper club". The higher the loft, the more obvious it becomes that the Niblicks are acutally more versatile wedges, (or as Cleveland calls them, short game hybrids).

That said, I still think a conventional low bounce 60 Lob Wedge which can double as a Sand Wedge for certain sand situations is still a must, even if you choose to carry all (4) Niblicks in the bag. Conventional drop and stop shots from tight fairway lies, hardpan lies in the sand, buried sand lies, or downhill sand lies, are all situations where the additional loft of the 60* and a lower bouce than the 14* bounce on the 56* Niblick is required. (My own Cleveland CG14 60* Lob/Sand Wedge has just 8* of bounce making it perfect 60* wedge for that role).

Anyone with (4) out there? Any thoughts?

:hello:

I have been grooving the 49 and 56 lately. At first they were crap for me. Kept hitting fat and off the hosel. I started using the putting stroke method for chips and things started to come around. I added some hands and a little rotation for pitches. Today I was hitting everything shortsided and the 56 was gold for pitches. The Niblicks just pop the ball in the air right where you aim. Great clubs.

I still LOVE my 42 degree Niblick! That thing has got me out of more trouble than a divorce lawyer hehe kidding. I love it for trouble shots, punching under and out of trees ( Believe me I have SERIOUSLY tested this product out of trees) and any other trick shot you might need.

Back