Who Makes SC Putters?

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I ran into something interesting while looking up Scotty Cameron on Wikipedia. I will include the more interesting bits in the below quote. Keep in mind that this did come from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Cameron

Putter heads for Titleist's Scotty Cameron brand were manufactured by X-cel Golf/Bettinardi between 1993 and 1997. Slivnik Machining Inc., who with Scotty Cameron jointly hold the patent on the Tei3 putter,[4] and K-Tech Machine Inc.[5] have also made putters for the brand. Interestingly, with all the success Cameron has had building his reputation as a putter maker, Cameron has never owned his own machine shop and all his putters bearing his name have been outsourced to third party manufactures.

I am not trying to make waves or anything like that, I am just interested to see who really made the putter that I am using.

Wow.....I find this info extremely interesting.
How can he have such a great rep if he has never done any of the work on his own?

I ran into something interesting while looking up Scotty Cameron on Wikipedia. I will include the more interesting bits in the below quote. Keep in mind that this did come from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Cameron

I am not trying to make waves or anything like that, I am just interested to see who really made the putter that I am using.

Depends on the age of your putter. Cameron still does not mill putters today from raw stock. All the heads are CNC milled by a outside source. He is a great welder, stamper and bender though........

Wow.....I find this info extremely interesting.
How can he have such a great rep if he has never done any of the work on his own?

What I find even more mind boggling is, how does he sell a 009 for $2000/$3000 or one is his famous "garage" putters for up to $10,000/$15,000 when they are in fact nothing more than CNC milled heads that have necks welded on, a bunch of goofy stampings and a finish applied, all done by some shop employee? Mind boggling.
:confused2:

Depends on the age of your putter. Cameron still does not mill putters today from raw stock. All the heads are CNC milled by a outside source. He is a great welder, stamper and bender though........

Do you know who mills his putters? I like his putters (even if I am biased against SC for my own stupid reasons) and I would love to know who does the milling and if they make other lines of putters.

What I find even more mind boggling is, how does he sell a 009 for $2000/$3000 or one is his famous "garage" putters for up to $10,000/$15,000 when they are in fact nothing more than CNC milled heads that have necks welded on, a bunch of goofy stampings and a finish applied, all done by a shop employee? Mind boggling.

In the immortal words of PT Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute..."

In the immortal words of PT Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute..."

+1, SC charges and arm and a leg because they can.

I was surprised to learn that Bettinardi had milled putters for him.

And don't forget its because SC is the KING of advertising. I have an upmost distain for anything SC but definitely can recognize the unparalleled advertising he has managed to get his stuff to the level that it is.

I was surprised to learn that Bettinardi had milled putters for him.

You should see the Cameron putters that Bob did some test honeycomb face milling that Cameron will not admit they are legit! :D

and more importantly because someone will buy at those prices. If no one was willing to pay that price then they wouldn't sell them at said prices

Wow this just turned me off to SC's now.

Do you know who mills his putters? I like his putters (even if I am biased against SC for my own stupid reasons) and I would love to know who does the milling and if they make other lines of putters.

I know X-Cel/BB milled all the early putters and K-Tech milled the Studio Design and I believe all putter lines since. This has been a well known fact for a long long time and it has been discussed in great detail on other sites.

The only milling done at the CS would be face re-milling, repair's etc. I don't believe any putters have ever been milled there. There has been many topics also in the past about this at other places/sites, along with discussions about Cameron having a Bridgeport mill at home in his garage, but again a big debate over whether or not he in fact ever did mill putters there from scratch.

There has been an even bigger debate over the years as to whether or not the "handmade" putters that have "Scott Cameron" stamped in them, in the SC registry, as to whether or not these were simply CNC milled heads from BB, that had necks welded on and hand stamped or actually putters that were hand milled, with Camerons hand on the controls. I lean towards thinking they are nothing more than CNC milled heads, and hand stamped like all the others.

This whole subject can be a big can of worms in certain circles. Cameron also it should be noted, is not the only current or past custom builder that did not mill all or part of their putters in house. Even David Mills has many of his putters today milled off site. It is the nature of the beast. To turn out large numbers, you must mass produce, and not everyone can afford a CNC machine and it takes many many hours to hand mill a putter.

Wow I thought this was common knowledge that Don doesn't make any of his putters! He has some employees that finish/assemble/stamp his putters in his shop. Manufacturing is done by K-Tech Machine Inc. They even have some putter pics on their website gallery. http://www.k-techmachine.com/index.html

Wow I thought this was common knowledge that Don doesn't make any of his putters! He has some employees that finish/assemble/stamp his putters in his shop. Manufacturing is done by K-Tech Machine Inc. They even have some putter pics on their website gallery. http://www.k-techmachine.com/index.html

Thanks for pointing me to the web site. It may be common knowledge, but I certainly didn't know it. I have not been traveling in golf circles that long.

I bet a Scotty Putter is a walk in the park compared to an Engine Manifold for K-Tech

You're reasons aren't stupid Seth. They're you're reasons and that's all you need.

I was going to say the Chinese but I guess I was off a little. :D

What I find even more mind boggling is, how does he sell a 009 for $2000/$3000 or one is his famous "garage" putters for up to $10,000/$15,000 when they are in fact nothing more than CNC milled heads that have necks welded on, a bunch of goofy stampings and a finish applied, all done by some shop employee? Mind boggling.
:confused2:

Art maybe?? Just put it on your wall in a frame!!

Scotty C please forgive me

Scotty C please forgive me

:clown:
Very interesting info on Scotty C putters, thanks! I recently sawed down my Scotty C putter from 35" to 33" and added a thick putter grip (ala KJ Choi). My friends think I'm crazy because I seriously devalued the putter. In hindsight I probably did goof. :angry: Although the height feels better and more natural to me (I'm 5'9" but found the 35" too long to get over the ball) the putter doesn't feel as balanced.

:clown:
Very interesting info on Scotty C putters, thanks! I recently sawed down my Scotty C putter from 35" to 33" and added a thick putter grip (ala KJ Choi). My friends think I'm crazy because I seriously devalued the putter. In hindsight I probably did goof. :angry: Although the height feels better and more natural to me (I'm 5'9" but found the 35" too long to get over the ball) the putter doesn't feel as balanced.

Do you have weights in the bottom of the putter? If so, you can buy some 20 gram weights from ebay for about 50 dollars. This will fix the weighting issue.

Funny I read his wikipedia page last night after reading the 'Scotty Cameron putter branding' thread and as you have stated I found it very interesting to read that he does not do his own milling/ manufacturing of putters. Kind of makes you wonder how he got all the glitz and glamour he has achieved. Seems like he is more of a marketing genius. I also would like to know what Acushnet paid him in the early 90's to keep Cameron from going to other OEM's. That could potentially explain some of the high price of his putters. Just a thought. To be honest, I think SC's are typically gorgeous putters. There have been a few designs I was not a fan of such as the futura. I use to think SCs were the top premium putters similar to a ferrari or lambo in the car market. There are other great sports cars but something about the ferrari or lambo branding just stands out. I have to say that THP has opened my eyes to putters I did not know even existed such as NC gamblers, Pirreti & bettinardi just to name a few. I am definitely interested in the boutique brands and the level of customization you can get with these brands. But as we have said something is only worth what people are willing to pay and SC can charge $300 because people continue to pay it.

Thanks, I thought of that but didn't know how much weight to ad. How did you come up with 20 grams?

Back