Sharks in a water hazard?

CraftyLefty

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
Haha that's crazy.

Jeez that's one hazard I might not try to fish my ball out of.

I wouldn't be that frightened. I mean I wouldn't go digging for my ball and all that they are just there so if you stay dry they are harmless.

Good thing the Kraft Nabisco isn't held there.

now thats just cool

WOW... Better have a long metal ball retriever.

That's awesome!! I really like sharks (diving in FL, you see them all the time)
Makes for a cool feature on the course.

Sharks love water, but HATE the back 9 at Augusta.

Thats crazy. I would love to see it in person. Lost balls to alligators but never a shark

After thinking about it, Im more afraid of a bear on a par 3 than a shark in a lake.

Yeah.. I'm thinking I would have a hogleg out on the course just in case... That'd be crazy. Moose would be more-so right?

If that is a fresh water lake, then I'm thinking that they are probably bull sharks. That is the only true shark species I know of that can live for prolonged periods in fresh water. They are often found well inland in rivers, and are particularly dangerous in murky water where they can't see their prey and only attack by scent and vibrations. I certainly wouldn't go wading there. :nono:

That is correct. In fact 'Jaws' (the movie, not the wedges) was based on a bull shark attack in Northern NJ in the early 1900's where a rogue bull shark swam up a river, got stuck, got hungry, and then had some good times with the locals there
If that is a fresh water lake, then I'm thinking that they are probably bull sharks. That is the only true shark species I know of that can live for prolonged periods in fresh water. They are often found well inland in rivers, and are particularly dangerous in murky water where they can't see their prey and only attack by scent and vibrations. I certainly wouldn't go wading there. :nono:

Pretty neat. I'm guessing you don't see the neighborhood going into that lake to find and sale refurbished balls.

They sure look like Bull Sharks. It is one thing to have sharks in the pond, but Bull Sharks are as dangerous as they come.

there's a show called River Monsters, where this dude goes to places in the wild where the locals' tell tales of a Monster in their rivers, then he fishes it out. The last episode of season 1 is on Bull sharks. They pulled a 15 footer out of a freshwater river in South Africa. Crazy.

there's a show called River Monsters, where this dude goes to places in the wild where the locals' tell tales of a Monster in their rivers, then he fishes it out. The last episode of season 1 is on Bull sharks. They pulled a 15 footer out of a freshwater river in South Africa. Crazy.

It's things like this that make me glad I live about as far away from the ocean as you can get. We get the occasional piranha here but that's a heck of a long way for a bullshark to swim.

They sure look like Bull Sharks. It is one thing to have sharks in the pond, but Bull Sharks are as dangerous as they come.

Yeah, the article says they are bull sharks, so you fellas are correct (and seem to know your sharks)

It's things like this that make me glad I live about as far away from the ocean as you can get. We get the occasional piranha here but that's a heck of a long way for a bullshark to swim.

But I bet there are more people injured from tractors in Omaha each year than there are sharks attacks in the world each year.

And for some reason, piranha scare the crap out of me!

But I bet there are more people injured from tractors in Omaha each year than there are sharks attacks in the world each year.

You're probably right. Maybe not in Omaha (it's a nice cosmopolitan town) but the surrounding area most likely.

That is correct. In fact 'Jaws' (the movie, not the wedges) was based on a bull shark attack in Northern NJ in the early 1900's where a rogue bull shark swam up a river, got stuck, got hungry, and then had some good times with the locals there

That is one of several incidents where bull sharks are known or suspected of attacks on people far from the ocean.

That is pretty awesome. So not only do you have to worry about crocodiles in the hazards, but sharks as well.

Pulled from the Bull Shark Wikipedia page:
"Unlike most sharks, bull sharks tolerate fresh water and can travel far up rivers. They have even been known to travel as far up as Indiana in the Ohio River and Illinois in the Mississippi River, although there have been few recorded attacks. As a result, they are probably responsible for the majority of near-shore shark attacks, including many attacks attributed to other species."

Bulls Sharks, Coming to a river near you.....

Back