Who's right - Bridgestone or Titleist?

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
I am shopping for a new ball and see that Bridgestone and Titleist have a different view on swing speed and compression. My swing speed is 102-104 with the driver. Bridgestone thinks that won't provide enough compression for B330S I currently play. Titleist states the swing speed has little effect for the Pro V1 line. I would like to hear your thoughts.

I dont think there is a right or wrong in which ball is a better ball. Both are great balls. However I do not believe for a second that swing speed has no effect on a golf ball in the premium category. Compression is all about distance and control and without being able to compress a golf ball you might as well play anything you find. Of course a company wants you to buy their products so telling you that you can play anything they offer makes all the sense in the world.

One question though is while Bridgestone is offering you compression info and seems pretty honest, you can still play a premium ball from the company in the B330RX or the B330 RXS with no issues right?

I went through both ball fittings. I got to thinking, if the entire compression thing has no validity then why does Titleist manufacture other balls besides the ProV1 and ProV1x? Or, asking it another way, if anyone can play the ProV1 and ProV1x than why manufacture any other ball like the NXT, NXT Tour, etc.?

My understanding from the titleist website is that the testing shows only about a 5 yard difference between amatuer and pro swing speeds. The multiple offers are to capture the market for people who are not willing to pay for a premium ball. The Pro V1 line has a softer cover and provides better feel than the NXT series.

From the Titleist website:

Can slow(er) swing speed players benefit from Pro V1/Pro V1x?
Pro V1 and Pro V1x are Titleist’s tour performance golf balls designed for all swing speed players. All Titleist golf balls are long – regardless of swing speed. Differences between models off the driver for swing speeds ranging from tour players (near 110 mph) down to lower speed players (in the 80s mph) are less than 4 yards - and that distance is not game changing or score changing. Game changing differences are found on the scoring shots into and around the green, and the Pro V1 and Pro V1x offer the most performance control on all shots. Golfers of all skill levels and swing speeds play Pro V1 because of this real performance benefit.

My understanding from the titleist website is that the testing shows only about a 5 yard difference between amatuer and pro swing speeds. The multiple offers are to capture the market for people who are not willing to pay for a premium ball. The Pro V1 line has a softer cover and provides better feel than the NXT series.

So based on that, why have a Pro V1 and a Pro V1x? Why not just have one ball?

Or Could it be that marketshare is down quite a bit over the last 12 months and one other company (Bridgestone) is a sold #2 now based on actual ball fittings and showing golfers of all skill levels what ball is better for their game regardless of price.

Like I said, both companies make great golf balls, but we have done enough testing and been to enough ball fittings by multiple companies to know exactly what happens with compression and amateurs being able to compress a golf ball, over compress a golf ball or not compress a ball at all. I dont expect any equipment company to say "Our golf ball does not work for everybody".

By the way, there is a really easy way to figure it out. Hop on a launch monitor and hit them side by side and see which one works best for you. In the end, the only thing that matters is finding the right ball for your game. I dont believe that less expensive balls mean less quality in every aspect. The e6 for example is a ball that is geared towards a certain golfer. One company sells on Play the Best Ball (the ball the pros play) and the other sells on Play the Ball that fits you best.

From the Titleist website:

Can slow(er) swing speed players benefit from Pro V1/Pro V1x?
Pro V1 and Pro V1x are Titleist’s tour performance golf balls designed for all swing speed players. All Titleist golf balls are long – regardless of swing speed. Differences between models off the driver for swing speeds ranging from tour players (near 110 mph) down to lower speed players (in the 80s mph) are less than 4 yards - and that distance is not game changing or score changing. Game changing differences are found on the scoring shots into and around the green, and the Pro V1 and Pro V1x offer the most performance control on all shots. Golfers of all skill levels and swing speeds play Pro V1 because of this real performance benefit.

Are they saying that someone with a 110mph ss only gets 4 more yards then someone with say an 85mph ss?

Are they saying that someone with a 110mph ss only gets 4 more yards then someone with say an 85mph ss?

No they are saying that players trying both regardless of swing speed are not showing distance differences.

No they are saying that players trying both regardless of swing speed are not showing distance differences.

Ah, ok thanks. Couldn't believe that was something they'd say. I'm too tired to comprehend much today I guess.
4 yrd difference between the ProV1 and ProV1X, that really doesn't seem like much but to some I guess every yd counts.

By the way, there is a really easy way to figure it out. Hop on a launch monitor and hit them side by side and see which one works best for you. In the end, the only thing that matters is finding the right ball for your game. I dont believe that less expensive balls mean less quality in every aspect. The e6 for example is a ball that is geared towards a certain golfer. One company sells on Play the Best Ball (the ball the pros play) and the other sells on Play the Ball that fits you best.

I am not trying to take the Titleist side on this one but my understanding of their point is that you only hit your driver about 14 times a round and in the end it has little affect on your scoring. Titleist thinks that the ball you play should depend on how the ball performs for you on the shots to the green and not based on the distance off the tee.

I am not trying to take the Titleist side on this one but my understanding of their point is that you only hit your driver about 14 times a round and in the end it has little affect on your scoring. Titleist thinks that the ball you play should depend on how the ball performs for you on the shots to the green and not based on the distance off the tee.

But if you have several options to choose from in the same compression category you can match the greenside stuff too.
What good does greenside spin do you if you are getting so much driver spin you never find the fairway?

That is marketing speaking. Hitting the driver is also the most violent impact of the golf ball and one that has the biggest difference between balls. I can get most balls to stop around the green at the premium level, but how many will give me the best launch conditions is what matters to me.

Like I said, both are great ball companies, but for my money, I am going with actual fitting regardless of brand rather than website marketing.

That is marketing speaking.QUOTE]

That is kind of what I thought but wanted to see how others felt. I have been very happy with B330-S but will likely go to the B330-RXS or RX due to my swing speed and see how they compare to the B330-S. I live about 4 hours from the nearest launch monitor but will give that a try when the opportunity comes up.

Its always an interesting discussion and dilemma that us consumers have trying to find out what works the best. Fortunately for us, fittings are out there to be had and we can finally find out what works best out of all these world class companies.

The truth for most people is somewhere in between. If you struggle to hit fairways because your drives are bending off left or right out of control then a lower spin ball will help a lot with that. I think it has to have a negative impact on scoring for most people to be constantly switching from one ball to another, never getting used to one or hitting it enough to figure out exactly how it will react for them.

I went through both ball fittings. I got to thinking, if the entire compression thing has no validity then why does Titleist manufacture other balls besides the ProV1 and ProV1x? Or, asking it another way, if anyone can play the ProV1 and ProV1x than why manufacture any other ball like the NXT, NXT Tour, etc.?

ProV's are $50 a dozen, NXT's are $25 a dozen.
For me, a ball costing twice as much is not going to help me twice as much. For an accomplished player, it might.
BTW, my swing speed is well below 100, I played a ProV Sunday and was getting as much distance as any other ball I've played.

I get the impression Titleist is just trying to get people to try other balls besides the Pro-v's. I can't play them thats for sure, but that doesn't mean they don't make another ball I can play.

If this is the case, they REALLY need to redo their fitting widget. Unless you are a 50 cap with a banana ball off of the putter, you are getting recommended a Pro V.
I get the impression Titleist is just trying to get people to try other balls besides the Pro-v's. I can't play them thats for sure, but that doesn't mean they don't make another ball I can play.

Frankly I have never found a ball that I felt was consistently longer off the tee or irons. My ball choice is dependent entirely on how they react around the green.

My Bridgestone ball fitting experience was disappointing in that swing speed seemed to be the determining factor and I was recommended the "e6" which I hated.

Fitting / schmitting; try them all and pick the one you like. It's not like investing $300 or more for clubs.

I am not an e6 fan either. The e5's are doing well though...
Frankly I have never found a ball that I felt was consistently longer off the tee or irons. My ball choice is dependent entirely on how they react around the green.

My Bridgestone ball fitting experience was disappointing in that swing speed seemed to be the determining factor and I was recommended the "e6" which I hated.

Fitting / schmitting; try them all and pick the one you like. It's not like investing $300 or more for clubs.

+1 jean i like a softer ball but, i have a 110ish s.s. so does that mean i cant play a soft ball ..... nope. I've hit basically every name brand ball that has been out since 2010 and i rarely see more than a 5 yard difference between 2 well hit urethane covered balls off of the tee. I play a ball that isnt supposed to fit me but, i am playing the best golf of my life right now and i think part of it is cause i'm confident/comfortable in my ball when my scoring clubs and putter are in my hands. Who cares about 5 more yards off of the tee, play the ball that you feel most comfortable with when you are in scoring range not when your 400 yards away. Thats why i play the fg tour.

Reactions: JB
+1 jean i like a softer ball but, i have a 110ish s.s. so does that mean i cant play a soft ball ..... nope. I've hit basically every name brand ball that has been out since 2010 and i rarely see more than a 5 yard difference between 2 well hit urethane covered balls off of the tee. I play a ball that isnt supposed to fit me but, i am playing the best golf of my life right now and i think part of it is cause i'm confident/comfortable in my ball when my scoring clubs and putter are in my hands. Who cares about 5 more yards off of the tee, play the ball that you feel most comfortable with when you are in scoring range not when your 400 yards away. Thats why i play the fg tour.

My game off the tee is far more affected by my ball than around the green. Launch angle, back spin, side spin, and compression all make a big difference on distance and my ability to stay on (or near) the fairway. I don't need a ball to check up to hit a good chip shot.

My game off the tee is far more affected by my ball than around the green. Launch angle, back spin, side spin, and compression all make a big difference

Me too Hawk. I got 13 yards more off the tee and 7 yards closer to the center on shot dispersion on average by switching balls. This with actual numbers on a course using a launch monitor. Almost every single premium ball spins around the green. That is what multilayers and urethane covers do. Not every ball has proper spin and compression for a swing.

Still not sure why the above poster started talking about Wilson Staff in a thread asking about Bridgestone & Titleist, but its kind of the norm. :alien:

Also, you can tell Bridgestone to find the ball that spins the most, but still works best for your launch numbers.

Back