Turn that hat around Jr.

if there's a dress code, abide by it.

hat backward? ok if you're under 30

I think hats should be forward on the course and off inside the clubhouse. I like a classy look.

I think hats should be forward on the course and off inside the clubhouse. I like a classy look.

To me it depends on the setting inside the clubhouse. Formal affair, no hat, but informal, everyday rounds, the hat is fine. After all we are talking about a clubhouse, not the whitehouse.

I tend to care less how someone chooses to dress or how they wear their hat. The important thing is that they use good etiquette and respect the course.

I agree with Sean the Marine on this one... I am by no means the fashion police, but its poor form to wear a hat indoors. I might be considered "old-fashioned" but I feel golf is one of the few sports that still has manners, courtesy and is not plagued by thugs with some spare talent. Being well-mannered is free of charge and reaps benefits.

Well guys, I just got back from a crack deal, I am gonna put on my saggiest blue jeans, my most noticible boxers, and my most ragged hoody an I am gonna hit the links blaring Easy-E the whole time. Later.
I agree with Sean the Marine on this one... I am by no means the fashion police, but its poor form to wear a hat indoors. I might be considered "old-fashioned" but I feel golf is one of the few sports that still has manners, courtesy and is not plagued by thugs with some spare talent. Being well-mannered is free of charge and reaps benefits.

Well guys, I just got back from a crack deal, I am gonna put on my saggiest blue jeans, my most noticible boxers, and my most ragged hoody an I am gonna hit the links blaring Easy-E the whole time. Later.

Huh???

You'll never see me where a hat inside a clubhouse, it always comes off. Wear a hat inside a clubhouse in Australia one time, you'll never do it again. I promise.

You'll never see me where a hat inside a clubhouse, it always comes off. Wear a hat inside a clubhouse in Australia one time, you'll never do it again. I promise.

Do it in Canada and someone will politely ask you to take it off but if not thats ok too.

Do it in Canada and someone will politely ask you to take it off but if not thats ok too.

You'll buy everyone in the clubhouse a drink if you do it in Australia. I did it once and it wasn't cheap.

You'll buy everyone in the clubhouse a drink if you do it in Australia. I did it once and it wasn't cheap.

Ouch, I didn't know that, I'm making a note of that if I ever go and play golf there.

I think you missed my point Jacob. My point being... there is a time and a place for everything. A press conference is not the time or the place. My home course is very laid back, to the point where sleeves are optional. However, when I travel to a course I'm not familiar with, I phone ahead to check on their dress code. It's about good manners. How I was raised moreover. I don't care if you roll with Easy-E or twang with George Jones, while you golf. If its obnoxiously loud I'll ask you politely to turn it down.

This reminds me of the Soprano's episode where Tony asks the guy to take his hat off in the restaurant. I was with Tony on that one.

That's what we do, only place where hats are allowed indoors is the pro shop.

LOL I'm sitting here reading this and I have my hat facing backwards.........

LOL, I'm sitting here reading this not wearing any clothes.

With Ricky Fowler being asked by an Augusta National Member to wear his hat "brim forward" I was wondering what THPers think about backwards facing hats.

I personally think dresscodes are an important part of the game but don't mind a bit of personality within limits. At my home club I would rather see a well dressed, fashon forward, youngster with his hat on backwards than some of the shabbily dressed folks that meet the letter of the dress code but still look like bums.

I think if you are under 18, it's "OK", but once you turn 18, turn that sucker around. Unless you're a catcher on a baseball team.

Personally, I think it looks a little stupid, teen or not. I don't care if you do it, but I wouldn't and I am not even 18 yet.
I think if you are under 18, it's "OK", but once you turn 18, turn that sucker around. Unless you're a catcher on a baseball team.

And yes, that was a terribly ill informed attempt at humor that fell flat on it's face. Sorry.

I always seem to be put off by stuff like this... Honestly it is something I dont like about myself but I tend to pay attention to what people wear..

I played for a coach(baseball) that made us run if we ever were spotted wearing a hat on backwards (on campus or off). After countless hours of running, I still to this day will not wear a cap backwards. It's more of an old school respect type of deal.

i love hats/caps/fedoras/flat brims etc i actually collect them and the only thing i cant stand is wearing it sideways
i only wear a cap brim backwards if there is a reason to
and i try my best to remember to remove my headgear when indoors but i dont mind a "polite" reminder when i forget

i love hats/caps/fedoras/flat brims etc i actually collect them and the only thing i cant stand is wearing it sideways
i only wear a cap brim backwards if there is a reason to and i try my best to remember to remove my headgear when indoors but i dont mind a "polite" reminder when i forget

When is there a reason to unless you're putting on a catcher's mask?

If you are in a nice place to eat, you take off the cap when you enter but if you are at a fast food place it's not necessary imo. At a lot of fast food places the employees have some kind of cap on. Why not the patrons? At a mall or at a store, leave it on if you want. I think if you are at a golf course pro shop you can leave it on if you want, why do I care if you have a cap on? If you are in the course "restaurant", taking it off might be the right thing but if it's just a snack shop, leave it on, what's it hurt?

Where in the rulebook does it say a hat on backwards is "disrespectful"? To who? The course? Patrons? You? I understand not wearing a hat at the table or inside a more formal area, but you guys are telling me that if I have my hat on backwards outside, I am disrespecting you? Stretching it a bit guys? There are too many other things going on in my life to even spend 5 seconds worrying about another guys hat wearing preference.

I personally think dresscodes are an important part of the game but don't mind a bit of personality within limits. At my home club I would rather see a well dressed, fashon forward, youngster with his hat on backwards than some of the shabbily dressed folks that meet the letter of the dress code but still look like bums.

If I'm paying $15 for 9 holes, and the course has a dress code, then I am going to find a different course. If I pay $50+ for a course I will accept a dress code of "collared shirt". If I pay North of $100, then and only then can I accept a "collared shirt and no baggy pockets on shorts" dress code.

Back