Real or fake clubs

masterkaj

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all,

New golfer, new to the forums. I just purchased 4-PW Diablo Edge Irons from hurricanegolf.com and a Diablo Edge Driver from them as well.

I also bought a gap wedge and sand wedge from golfsmith (I know they are legit) and each club had it's own serial sticker.

My question is, do the set of clubs from callaway only come with one serial number? That's what hurricanegolf told me when I asked them about it. I just want to make sure I got legit clubs.

Anyone have any experience with hurricane golf? Should I just take my clubs into Dicks and have them compare?

Hello all,

New golfer, new to the forums. I just purchased 4-PW Diablo Edge Irons from hurricanegolf.com and a Diablo Edge Driver from them as well.

I also bought a gap wedge and sand wedge from golfsmith (I know they are legit) and each club had it's own serial sticker.

My question is, do the set of clubs from callaway only come with one serial number? That's what hurricanegolf told me when I asked them about it. I just want to make sure I got legit clubs.

Anyone have any experience with hurricane golf? Should I just take my clubs into Dicks and have them compare?

Its hard to say wether or not you got legit clubs without seeing them or knowing how much you paid. As far as serial #'s, a set of irons only has one club marked with the serial # for that set, so that aspect of the clubs is legit.

Hello all,

I would definitely take them into either GolfGalaxy or Dicks and compare them to a sure thing. I believe the serial for the Diablo Edge's is under the 8I grip. (If someone can verify that for me).

Its hard to say wether or not you got legit clubs without seeing them or knowing how much you paid. As far as serial #'s, a set of irons only has one club marked with the serial # for that set, so that aspect of the clubs is legit.

not all irons just have them on 1 club, mizzys have it on every iron.

not all irons just have them on 1 club, mizzys have it on every iron.

Well every set of irons I have ever had use the one club serial # method.

I would reccomend calling callaway or going online to confirm the info. I hope they are real.

I think what you paid will tell you all you need to know. If you paid a couple hundred less for your irons than you could find anywhere else, there is a good chance they are fake. You know what they say..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". That said, call and check the serial number. I hope it works out for you man. Let us know.

I don't know as price is that indicative anymore as from what I've read the counterfeiters are getting smarter and are charging something closer to retail so as to make it seem they are legit which, at the same time, also makes them a higher profit margin per unit sold. I can't say as to whether your clubs are real, but I know a number of manufacturers only put the serial number on one or the irons per set.

I think what you paid will tell you all you need to know. If you paid a couple hundred less for your irons than you could find anywhere else, there is a good chance they are fake. You know what they say..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". That said, call and check the serial number. I hope it works out for you man. Let us know.

I agree, great prices are usually a deal breaker and spell trouble.

I don't know as price is that indicative anymore as from what I've read the counterfeiters are getting smarter and are charging something closer to retail so as to make it seem they are legit which, at the same time, also makes them a higher profit margin per unit sold. I can't say as to whether your clubs are real, but I know a number of manufacturers only put the serial number on one or the irons per set.

Another unfortunate theme amongst scammers these days is that they have also begun to use real serial #'s as well. Pretty much the only surefire way to guarantee your getting real clubs anymore is to only buy from listed authorized dealers.

I was simply stating that IF he paid significantly lower than retail, bad sign. If he didn't, it is obviously a moot point.

If that is where you bought them, you can be almost 100% certain they are fakes.

Edit: I take that back. If it's the same place I am seeing reviewed, its like RockBottomGolf, just less well known. I hope you got the real thing. We should take it down from the counterfeit list.

(http://www.mygolfspy.com/hurricanegolf-hurricane-golf/)

Last edited:
Tomahawk - I agree with that completely. I just realized that Hurricane Golf is where I bought my Adipure Z shoes for a great price on ebay. They certainly are not counterfeit. If memory serves, Hurricane Golf is located out of central Illinois -- either Dekalb or Rockford. Neither of which would I consider to be a hotbed location for counterfeiters as those are usually found more on the coasts where they can import their fake crap cheaper and easier. For what it's worth, on their website they address the question of how they can sell stuff cheap as follows:

With golf companies bringing out new clubs every few months, the shelf life of a golf club has dwindled considerably compared to just a few years ago. If a golf company has a whole new line of clubs coming out only 9 months after another line, that company needs to rid themselves of the older inventory. That is where Hurricane Golf comes in. With our purchasing power, we can take a huge allotment if not all of a golf manufacturer’s inventory and in turn pass it along to the golfer.

I also see that if you bought the item directly from their website rather than through ebay they will accept returns if the stuff hasn't been used and shrink wrap is in place for a 10% restock fee if you want your money back and if you buy something else with the credit there is no 10% restock fee. Not something I'd expect out of a counterfeiter. I suppose they don't allow it for ebay stuff since they've already taken the ebay and paypal hits on the selling prices so they'd lose money.

Tomahawk - I agree with that completely. I just realized that Hurricane Golf is where I bought my Adipure Z shoes for a great price on ebay. They certainly are not counterfeit. If memory serves, Hurricane Golf is located out of central Illinois -- either Dekalb or Rockford. Neither of which would I consider to be a hotbed location for counterfeiters as those are usually found more on the coasts where they can import their fake crap cheaper and easier. For what it's worth, on their website they address the question of how they can sell stuff cheap as follows:

With golf companies bringing out new clubs every few months, the shelf life of a golf club has dwindled considerably compared to just a few years ago. If a golf company has a whole new line of clubs coming out only 9 months after another line, that company needs to rid themselves of the older inventory. That is where Hurricane Golf comes in. With our purchasing power, we can take a huge allotment if not all of a golf manufacturer’s inventory and in turn pass it along to the golfer.

I also see that if you bought the item directly from their website rather than through ebay they will accept returns if the stuff hasn't been used and shrink wrap is in place for a 10% restock fee if you want your money back and if you buy something else with the credit there is no 10% restock fee. Not something I'd expect out of a counterfeiter. I suppose they don't allow it for ebay stuff since they've already taken the ebay and paypal hits on the selling prices so they'd lose money.

Of course they will say that. You dont think they would post on their website that they sell fake clubs do you. They are a business that is trying to make money, its the same thing as every club manufacturer saying that their clubs go further and straighter than all the others but it doesnt make it true.

Ping has serial numbers on all clubs, with the only exception being some putters. Callaway has the serial number on the 8 iron in iron sets.

Another unfortunate theme amongst scammers these days is that they have also begun to use real serial #'s as well. Pretty much the only surefire way to guarantee your getting real clubs anymore is to only buy from listed authorized dealers.

Right on. Why anyone would buy new clubs today from the internet, knowing what we know now, just blows my mind.

Whats the consensus about this place?

They have Penta's for $27/doz!

I watched equipment show the other day. Some other indicators of Fake was to look at the Font sizes of the name (fakes were not as sharp). Also the location of the name on the shaft. I think it was Taylormade that showed their mark is on the backside of shaft so you won't see it on address. The fake was on the frontside of shaft. it was interesting show, they cross sectioned a fake driver head and real driver head. You could really see the difference.

Whats the consensus about this place?

They have Penta's for $27/doz!

I just dont see how they can be the only retailer around to be able to offer these prices. Ultimatley people will have to make their own judgments but I wouldnt spend my money there.

I went to the site and it looks pretty legit. They seem to be selling 1 and 2 year old equipment mostly. Most of the counterfitters are trying to copy current equipment and sell it cheap. I just make a point to not buy golf clubs online personally. Clothes, accessories, sure. But for me there is alot of risk spending hundreds of dollars online for a product I have not seen in person. If I get a fake polo, hat, or marking tool, I will get over it quickly. If I get a fake set of R9's or RAZR's, I would freak out!

Back