Stock PW vs. Aftermarket PW

I looked and didn't see another thread talking about this. Do most of you just stick with the PW that comes with your set or do many of you buy a 48 degree wedge like the Titleist or Cleveland? I have never actually bought a 48 degree wedge and just use the ones that come with my irons like my MP68's, but what do you fellow hackers think about this situation? What do you do?

My R9 PW is 46*, and AW is 50*. I use both of those as well as a 52* and 56*. I figure that the PW is really a 9 iron, the AW really a PW, etc. So the lowest iron I carry is a 5. I can hit that one 200 yards, which I cannot do with standard issue 5-irons.

Always only had the PW from my iron set until last year when I added an adams wedge set. Tempted to move to just 2 wedges after the PW this year I don't find myself using much more then my PW and 56 anyway.

I use both the stock PW and GW in my Mizzy MX-300's.

Some folks might even say that the stock PW in your set is the equivalent of what used to be the 9i.

That's what I was thinking. In the end, all those numbers are there for is identification. As long as you know what club= what distance, you way as well give them letters or color-code them.

I just use the stock pw and gw that came with my JPX 800 Pro's. I like the feel of them.

I actually was gonna order a Vokey 48 to replace my VR PW but I love the MB PW so I stuck with it.

I stick with the stock PW. I've never had much of an issue with them either. Also, as a lefty, finding a 48* wedge is not an easy task at times. My PW is 45*, it's still a PW, and I'm dead set lethal with it. I go from it to a 50* wedge and not once in about a year have I thought I needed something to close the gap.

my ci9 pw is 44* and gw is 48*, i use both! and i find them easier to hit

I carry the stock MP32 PW because it works for me but I would not hesitate to replace it with a non-stock wedge if I thought it would make a difference. It may actually be an advantage to leave that PW in the set from the standpoint of consistent feel across more clubs, one of the reasons I feel like I have to spend more time with wedges off the golf course is because each one is just slightly different, my stock PW and 9I and 8I all feel pretty much the same. I like the idea of having a GW as part of the set matching the other irons, my next iron set will have one.

I play the standard PW and then add an aftermarket GW, SW and LW.

i use my stock pw and aw 45 and 50 i upgraded my sw to a 56 xft wedge which i use from 70 yards in and feel comftable doing so

My stock PW is 45*, so I'm also using a 49* 588. When I was playing the DCIs, I would switch back and forth between the stock wedge (loft ?) and the 49* 588.

I play the stock PW in my x22 set and it seems fine.I am thinking of changing over to a new set of wedges with different gap distances, but I'm fine with PW at 45 i believe.

Stock PW (10 iron) for me and then an after market GW and SW.

I play the stock PW in my set which is a 44*. I have a bit of a gap between the PW and my 52*. I'm thinking about getting it bent to a 50*.

My stock R7 PW is 45 and I wouldn't ever change it. Although, the next iron set I buy will only go down to PW since I'd like to buy a gap wedge independently instead of using a stock gap wedge as I do now.

I play the stock PW and I like to have the stock GW/AW if possible. They are easier to hit on full shots for me, which is what I use both for quite a bit anyway.

I also play the stock PW 46*. Then I have a 50*, 54* and 58*. I have flirted with the benefits of getting rid of my stock PW and going 48, 53, and 58. Since I just got my new clubs yesterday I have to figure out my real life gapping, and then I guess time will tell.

I use the stock PW.

I thought about using an aftermarket gap wedge this year, but went back to the stock gap wedge. So I use the oem pitch and gap wedge, and an after market sand wedge.

I carry the stock MP32 PW because it works for me but I would not hesitate to replace it with a non-stock wedge if I thought it would make a difference. It may actually be an advantage to leave that PW in the set from the standpoint of consistent feel across more clubs, one of the reasons I feel like I have to spend more time with wedges off the golf course is because each one is just slightly different, my stock PW and 9I and 8I all feel pretty much the same. I like the idea of having a GW as part of the set matching the other irons, my next iron set will have one.

I was hitting the MP32's before I switched to my MP68's. The PW with the Mizuno's always works well for me and spins similarly to a Vokey as long as I'm taking a full swing with it.

I've always used the stock pw in my set. That said, a friend has a set of TM Burner irons, and I could totally see the attraction in replacing the PW/SW in that set (for me). The wedge just felt very chunky, and they are pretty strong lofted meaning feel shots (about half to 3/4 range) would take quite a bit of getting used to.

I also use the stock PW. I see it as a scoring club, but rarely take anything but full swings with it, so I've never been interested in switching to a Vokey or other.

For you stock users out there... Do you have other wedges that you would rather use instead of taking a 1/2 swing with your PW?

For you stock users out there... Do you have other wedges that you would rather use instead of taking a 1/2 swing with your PW?

Relevant question for me. I've recently decided that a 1.2 swing with my PW is much more effective/predictable than a full GW/LW.

Back