Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Review

sfahrney

Reaction score
Handicap
I was looking on the site for a review of the Superfast 2.0 TP as I was looking to purchase a new driver this weekend. Well, nevertheless, after spending more than an hour at golfsmith this Saturday…meet “Moby”. During my testing I hit the R11, Razr, Razr Tour, Titleist 910, and G15…but nothing compared to the Superfast 2.0 TP. So, for those looking to get a new driver…I hope this review helps.

Burner Superfast 2.0 TP
Loft – 9.5*
Shaft – Matrix Ozik HD6 (TM graphics) S Flex, tipped 1”. 66 grams, 3.2*torque.

Appearance – 97 out of 100

News Flash…this thing is White!!! Get over it! The white body actually serves a purpose, the contrast between the face and the crown is an added help in aligning the golf club. At address the SFTP 2.0 has an open face of 1*, which you can clearly see at address. For players that like the open face (and I do) it’s a welcome addition. Furthermore, the white head looks smaller than the Non-TP version, but never the less it is a 460cc head. All in all, I was 100% against the white drivers, but now I really love it.
(On a sidenote, I think this is one of the greatest marketing tools by TaylorMade. See I noticed that some non-TM tour players are using the white drivers …with non TM headcovers. IMHO this is a fantastic marketing device, as now the public can easily identify the TM drivers when non TM players are playing them. Simply Brilliant.)
Ok, back to the review. Taylor Made also finally got rid of the dual crown, giving this driver a more classic look. The graphics on the crown, while at first a bit distracting, don’t really affect the look or feel of the driver once you begin your swing. Actually, by the end of the testing, I felt the graphics helped me take the club back to the inside just a bit more. (ala the “Detour”). I do feel that the club could have been made without the graphics on the crown, but that is grasping at straws.

Tech Specs – 92 out of 100

The SFTP 2.0 weighs in at 198.7 grams in the head, 66 grams in the shaft, and 52 grams in the grip for a combined weight of 316 grams. Among the “Tour” Drivers available on the open market, this is considerably lighter than most (about 10g less than most). Taylormade shortened the length from 46.5” in the standard model to 45.5” in the TP model. This is a welcome addition as I often play a 44” or 44.25”driver. I plan to keep the length for a few range sessions and see what happens.

The Shaft in the SFTP 2.0 is powered by Matrix. The Matrix Ozik-HD6 is a low spin/mid launch shaft weighing in at 66 grams. With just 3.2* torque, this shaft is perfect for the better player. The HD6 loads well and has a softer feel, but still feels like you’re in control of the head, thanks to the stiffer tip. What’s even better is the shaft is the real thing, an actual premium shaft with TM graphics. However this shaft is only in the TP version (the standard version has a “Made for” Matrix Xcon 4.8 ). From a technical aspect, the Superfast TP is great. With the premium shaft, lightweight head and excellent engineering, this club is one of the best out there. The only downside is the TM graphics on the shaft…Id rather have the standard graphics…and the weightport. Had they made the weightport adjustable, it would have been easier to cut down the club and keep the swingweight. Again, grasping for negatives.

Performance – 96 out of 100

The driver performed well in every shot that I put it through. While the SFTP 2.0 sets up for a fade, (2* open face and a toe-weight) the SFTP 2.0 can still work the ball both right and left. I loved that the club seemed to be on auto pilot. 278 carry, 5 yard fade, 2200 rpm and a smash factor of around 1.43 every time. I felt that the ball seemed to launch off the clubface every single time. I’ll be honest, I went into Golfsmith looking to get the R11 driver, but I couldn’t ignore the 7-10 yards I was getting on every shot with the Superfast 2.0 TP. The sound wasn’t too loud and it wasn’t too muted. The only complaint I do have is that 1 out of every 8 shots seemed to get away. I felt that this was a result of the 45.5” shaft. I really would like to cut the length down to 44.5 or 44.25, but we will have to wait for some on course testing.

All in all, I think that the SuperFast 2.0 TP and its counterpart the Superfast 2.0 have been overshadowed by the adjustability of the R11. During the testing I hit the R11 as well, and have nothing bad to say about it. But when you find a driver that works, there is no need to adjust anything. Most importantly, have a driver fitting to find the right one for your game.

Last edited:
The only complaint I do have is that 1 out of every 8 shots seemed to get away. I felt that this was a result of the 45.5” shaft. I really would like to cut the length down to 44.5 or 44.25, but we will have to wait for some on course testing.
Thanks for the write up, there have been quite a few people asking about the TP version so this should be a welcomed addition to the site. I noticed the same thing you pointed out about 1 out of every 8 shots or so getting away from you, but that was only on my range testing and my very initial rounds actually. Once I got used to it and got it out to the course more I did not have any that got away from me like that. So I feel like it's more of a need to get used to club more than anything (for me it was anyway).

As an update to the review, I was able to get out on the course this weekend with my new driver. I played sunday at Mansion Ridge in Monroe, NY with a stiff 25-30 breeze. Having determined to keep better statistics this year my average driver was about 265. Of course factoring in that most holes save for about 3 hit directly into or slightly into the wind, and the course recieved about 3 inches of rain the night before. I averaged a decent carry with the Burner. While i missed a few fairways that was mainly due to the wind carrying the ball just a bit off line. This is a very very good club, and sad to be said, well overshadowed by the R11.

Thanks for the write up, there have been quite a few people asking about the TP version so this should be a welcomed addition to the site. I noticed the same thing you pointed out about 1 out of every 8 shots or so getting away from you, but that was only on my range testing and my very initial rounds actually. Once I got used to it and got it out to the course more I did not have any that got away from me like that. So I feel like it's more of a need to get used to club more than anything (for me it was anyway).

I was one looking for a review like this.

I am pretty excited to go to Golfsmith on Thursday and test out a bunch of stuff. This being on the top of my list for sure.

I agree with you 100% Since the review which was written a few weeks ago, but not knowing that the review could be posted here by the average joe, I have cut down the shaft to 44.25 inches. I felt that I was able to control the ball flight better, control the trajectory a bit better. Sunday, I really only had one bad drive and that was because I rotated my hips way too fast on the down swing, thus hitting a big block to the right. Once you find the right swing with this club, its a solid 9.5 out of 10!

I was one looking for a review like this.

I am pretty excited to go to Golfsmith on Thursday and test out a bunch of stuff. This being on the top of my list for sure.

Very Cool, be sure to post your thoughts on the Superfast 2.0 after youre done with it. Its a great club. Make sure you hit drives chocking down on the club as well. That way you can get a feel for the club with a shorter shaft. Personally, Im 5'6" and never hit anything longer than 44.5"

Nice review sfahrney, I enjoyed the SF2.0 when I hit it at the Kingdom, but I saw the best numbers with the R-11, that is why a fitting is so important, there is no magic club for everyone.

Can I ask how you came about the ranking system (numbers)? How did you create a benchmark to determine that XYZ club gets a certain number for tech specs, etc?

Nice review sfahrney, I enjoyed the SF2.0 when I hit it at the Kingdom, but I saw the best numbers with the R-11, that is why a fitting is so important, there is no magic club for everyone.

Most important aspect of golf...the fitting. There really is no magic club for everyone. I went into my fitting not even thinking about the 2.0 TP.

Can I ask how you came about the ranking system (numbers)? How did you create a benchmark to determine that XYZ club gets a certain number for tech specs, etc?

Thanks JB, thats a great question. I used a satisfaction rating system. Based on how satisfied with the club based on each category. Truthfully, its a bit arbitrary, but I felt that I would dock "points" for things I didnt like and award "points" for things I did like about the driver.

For example. The Looks and Aesthetics of the club I rated a 97%. I loved everything about the club, the way it set up, the paint, the black ion face...but I did feel that the graphics detracted from the overall appearance. So I came up with a percentage out of 100 that I approved of the looks.

The tech specs were done similarly to the looks. Again using an approval rating of 100 as perfect, I deducted points for things i didnt like and added points for things i did like. Because TM used a high end shaft with a lightweight, and low torque, it got excellent ratings. While I recognized that not everyone fits into the same shaft, I did think they did an excellent job fitting a great shaft into a club that most players using the SFTP 2.0 could work with.

JB, I hope this provides an insight into my review a bit more. I tried to be as objective as possible, hoping that others would use this review to go out and test their own. Like DawgDaddy said, there is no one club for everyone. Our members should use the reviews as a starting point then get out there and get fitted!

Nice review, thanks for adding it to the site! Like I said in the thread that was posted this morning for P4B's Burner Superfast 2.0 review, I had really only been thinking about the R11 for a Taylormade driver to pick up later this summer, but now I'll have to look at the Burner Superfast 2.0. My only hesitation with the TP model is the open face, especially since I've been working on a grip change to make my grip weaker, so I struggle with the fade at times. Do you primarily play a fade or a draw?

Nice review, thanks for adding it to the site! Like I said in the thread that was posted this morning for P4B's Burner Superfast 2.0 review, I had really only been thinking about the R11 for a Taylormade driver to pick up later this summer, but now I'll have to look at the Burner Superfast 2.0. My only hesitation with the TP model is the open face, especially since I've been working on a grip change to make my grip weaker, so I struggle with the fade at times. Do you primarily play a fade or a draw?

im in the same bot as you, fading everything, need something to combat it, maybe just the regular 2.0?

Nice review. Did you add weight to the head when you shortened it? The only complaint I have with mine is the length, I would like to cut it down to 44.5.

@Arydolphin: Normally I play a 5 yard fade. The beauty of this was the face doesnt look open. While TaylorMade says its a 2* open face angle, it maybe looks 1* open. Its really not that pronounced. You set the club down and have a tremendous amount of confidence over the ball. I owned the SFTP 1.0 last year and you could distinguish the fade biased head from the non-tp. I think that if you give the 2.0TP a swing you may feel that same confidence over the ball. Like I said give it a swing and see how the face angle works for you. I will say, if you struggle with a fade, the non-tp head may be a better option since the toe weight is removed from the driver and the head is a full 460cc as opposed to the 420cc that the TP version has.

@donm1955 - I did not add any additional wieight to the head when I had the shaft trimmed to 44.25". Its swinging at a D1 (stock is D4). I really didnt notice any detriment to that. even having cut down the shaft an inch or so, I could still feel the head in relation to the shaft. I'd like to add the 3 points back, but I hate the idea of lead tape on this driver. Maybe TM can put me in touch with someone who can make that adjustment.

@Arydolphin: Normally I play a 5 yard fade. The beauty of this was the face doesnt look open. While TaylorMade says its a 2* open face angle, it maybe looks 1* open. Its really not that pronounced. You set the club down and have a tremendous amount of confidence over the ball. I owned the SFTP 1.0 last year and you could distinguish the fade biased head from the non-tp. I think that if you give the 2.0TP a swing you may feel that same confidence over the ball. Like I said give it a swing and see how the face angle works for you. I will say, if you struggle with a fade, the non-tp head may be a better option since the toe weight is removed from the driver and the head is a full 460cc as opposed to the 420cc that the TP version has.

Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't seen this driver in real life yet, I'll have to do that soon to see how it looks when I put it behind the ball. I don't necessarily mind an open face because I played a 2007 Burner TP driver for 3 years and that was slightly open, I was more concerned that the club would have a notable fade bias on it, which would make it harder for me to play. It sounds like you have a bit more swing speed than I do with your 278 carry, so perhaps the HD6 in stiff flex untipped may be the way to go for me. If I can get the launch angle that I have on my Supertri right now and cut down on the spin so that the ball is flatter towards the end of its flight, I'd love it.

One little caveat on your comment: according to Taylormade's website, the head size on the BSF 2.0 TP is 460 cc, not 420 cc.

I appreciate the kind words. I hope that my review has been helpful. I know the TM Website says 460cc for the SFTP 2.0, but there is now way that's actually true. It's significantly smaller than the 460cc non-TP version. My swing speed is between 116-125 when I was on the launch monitor.

Good review. I tried the 2.0 at ProLine Golf in Chicago a few months ago when the TM rep brought the new TM clubs in. Mixed feelings. I have the BSF 1.0 stiff and love it.

Fast forward to last week. I take lessons at ProLine and my instructor did side by side numbers on the monitor. My 1.0 versus 4 different 2.0 clubs. 10.5 Stiff and Regular. 9.5 Stiff and Regular.

Wow! I hit the 10.5 BSF 2.0 Regular 15 - 20 further than my 1.0 and 10 - 15 further than the other BSF clubs.

Club head speed better with the 2.0. Spin lower. Hit the 2.0 straighter.

I am getting the 10.5 BSF 2.0 Regular.

I did ask about the shaft length. My instructor says to stick with the shaft length the club comes with as much research and technology goes into club weight, balance, performance.

Very Cool, be sure to post your thoughts on the Superfast 2.0 after youre done with it. Its a great club. Make sure you hit drives chocking down on the club as well. That way you can get a feel for the club with a shorter shaft. Personally, Im 5'6" and never hit anything longer than 44.5"

Same.... I am 5'6" as well. I actually just ran over to the local Dicks (the one I don't work at). They have the TP. I hit and it launched pretty high for me, but the sim was saying I was getting 278 carry 292 roll out. Ball speed of 158. I really wanna hit this with a better system tracking me. I'm still very much scared of the 1* open and weighted toe as I already have a natural fade.

Nice man! 278 carry was nothing to sneeze at. If you google trackman you can find a trackman near you. That will give you the best analysis of your numbers. Your ball speed isn't much slower than mine and I was put into a 1" tipped stiff. My ball speed is 162-168. Great to hear that you liked it. With your employee discount you can certainly get it for a great price.

I really wish my local golf town would Carry this so I could hit it. I hit a draw/ hook and the open face or fade setup would fit me perfect. I love the orig SF as it is crazy long but just not straight enough for my liking. Then again the stores dont have anything stiffer than the stock stiff shaft.

Tappin to the oldies

Over the last year I have become a regular at my local Golfsmith...it's kinda like Cheers to me. When I purchased the club, the fitter/club repair tech wanted to put me in a stiffer flex. He suggested that we tip trim the shaft to bring the cpm closer to 280cpm. So after I purchased the club, he pulled the shaft, tipped it and inch, epoxied the head and the next day I came in and hit the club again. So much better. The ball flight became more predictable and more consistant. I tell people all the time. Find a fitter, an authorized Retailer and get fit for a driver. Find a TM Demo day and get fit. Special orders won't cost much more and will be worth your time. You may even stop buying a driver every six months. I still have my R9 (just in case) but the SFTP 2.0 isnt leaving my bag anytime soon.

good stuff, thanks for sharing!

I do not know much about the HD6 or any Matrix shafts at that...

I launched the HD6 pretty high and would like to lower the flight a bit if I went with the 2.0TP

Should I look into a RIP Beta or Alpha

and would a $65 upcharge for either a Fubuki Alpha or Diamana Ahina/Kaili be worth it over the RIP?

Were you swinging a S or X in the HD6? TM's HD6 in stiff is a mid launch shaft, low launch in the X flex.

RIP Beta is going to be more like the Kai'li in that it's a mid launch, mid to low spinner. RIP and Ahina will both be low launch, low spin with the Ahina being the lower of the two. Fubuki alpha is about the mid point between the RIP alpha and Kai'li.

How low of a launch are you looking for?

Back