Wilson Staff TW9 Wedge

James

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys, looking to get a WS TW9 60* Wedge, was just wondering if anyone uses or has used the TW9. Just wondering what it is like and how forgiving it is?

I played the TW9 for most of last year and really liked it. For the price you cannot do a lot better.

I like Wilson Staff, but I don't love that wedge. It is good, but there are some that are much better imo. Good value for the price, however.

I really liked that wedge. I thought it provided plenty of spin on the ball and it was great out of the sand for me.

I'm kinda with Hawk on this. Even though I have 2 in the bag! Got a great deal on them, and they're certainly not bad wedges. I may be clouded by picking up a couple with too much bounce though. They certainly do impart a decent amount of spin, and don't seem to chew the ball.

I have a 50*, 56* and 60* and they perform very good for me but, i dont find the 56* and 60* all that forgiving but as forgiving as any other blade wedge i guess but, the 50* is fairly forgiving. They generate a ton of spin tho and do it without destroying the ball (even prov 1's). Overall it is a very good wedge with above average spin great from the fairways, rough, sand and around the green. I will say i have a hard time flopping the 60* for some reason i can hit a flop with the 56* much easier than the 60* Maybe bacause the 56* has twice the bounce i dont know.

I have a 50*, 56* and 60* and they perform very good for me but, i dont find the 56* and 60* all that forgiving but as forgiving as any other blade wedge i guess but, the 50* is fairly forgiving. They generate a ton of spin tho and do it without destroying the ball (even prov 1's). Overall it is a very good wedge with above average spin great from the fairways, rough, sand and around the green. I will say i have a hard time flopping the 60* for some reason i can hit a flop with the 56* much easier than the 60* Maybe bacause the 56* has twice the bounce i dont know.

What do you find more forgiving about the 50 than the other 2? They are all constructed the same way and have the same design correct?

What do you find more forgiving about the 50 than the other 2? They are all constructed the same way and have the same design correct?

No actually the 48* and 50* are designed differently than the 52*, 54* 56* and 60*. They have a slightly larger cavity back and have more of that black rubber stuff on the back. The 50* holds its line better when i miss out on the toe while the 56* and 60* go right.

No actually the 48* and 50* are designed differently than the 52*, 54* 56* and 60*. They have a slightly larger cavity back and have more of that black rubber stuff on the back. The 50* holds its line better when i miss out on the toe while the 56* and 60* go right.

I understand the larger cavity, although I think they cut the toe away a little low on the 48 & 50 to eliminate some of that forgiveness. What does the rubber stuff as you called it due to assist forgiveness? Does it assist? You might know better than me, I always thought it was for aesthetics?

I understand the larger cavity, although I think they cut the toe away a little low on the 48 & 50 to eliminate some of that forgiveness. What does the rubber stuff as you called it due to assist forgiveness? Does it assist? You might know better than me, I always thought it was for aesthetics?

I thought it was aesthetics and maybe to dampen some vibrations, but I could be wrong.

I actually bought a 54 & 58 from rockbottomgolf to fill out the rest of my bag. I guess I didnt know that these were aimed more at consistent swingers, because I cant hit them all that well.

I dont know if the rubber stuff assists or not the 50* does feel quite a bit lighter than the others and, i've hit it terribly many times only to look up and see it holding my line and only being short. When i hit the others bad the ball doesnt go down my line it falls off to the right.

I've played the Wilson Staff 56* Tw9 for the past year or so and have absolutely loved it. Definitely made the biggest difference on my bunker game (which I seem to work on far too often).

I compared the 50* side by side with the 56* and 60* when i got home from work this evening and the 50* is a little bigger and has a squarer toe. I dont know if that makes it more forgiving or not but it is bigger.

Going to pick up the 60 tomorrow, just a quick question smooth duffer, I see you play the Ci9 Irons, how do you find them? Are they aimed at the Mid-Low Handicap Golfer. What's the distance, workability and forgiveness like?

According to Wilson the rubber coating is a vibration dampener, I was looking at their website the other day to get some info on the FG Tours.

According to Wilson the rubber coating is a vibration dampener, I was looking at their website the other day to get some info on the FG Tours.

What is the consensus on vibration dampening as it relates to forgiveness? I never considered that to add forgiveness in shots. To the hands maybe, but do some feel as though it adds forgiveness?

Going to pick up the 60 tomorrow, just a quick question smooth duffer, I see you play the Ci9 Irons, how do you find them? Are they aimed at the Mid-Low Handicap Golfer. What's the distance, workability and forgiveness like?

Hello james, yea i've been gaming the Ci9's for about 6 months now, the first 3 or so was winter so, only about 4 months of solid playing i guess. I now have an official handicap of 11 and, my iron play has been the best part of my game over the past couple of months. I went to the Ci9's after gaming Wilson Staff Di7's for my first 10 months that i played golf. They are more aimed at the midcapper but there not that hard to be consistent with, i dont think. Distance is very long, i had to rework all of my approach shot yardages the first week i gamed them. I was flying the ball plum over the greens LOL, even tho the lofts are more jacked up on the Di7's the Ci9's are longer. Workability with them is no problem, as long as i put the right swing on it the ball will go left or right easily. Forgivness is good but, not great i struggled with missing out on the toe with them for awhile and those shots were F#$@*! UGLY. But now i have them fitted for me 2* upright and like i said my iron play is really shining right now and, it has been winning me alotta money lately (80 bones yesterday, woohoo). Everything else is mediocre right now but, when you hit those 6, 7, 8, 9 and PW approaches within 10-20 feet consistently golf becomes really, really fun. Overall the Ci9's are terrific irons and, the best club purchase i've ever made, i recommend them to anybody that has a solid iron game. That being said i am still thinking about the getting new Di11's even tho i know i dont need them, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? :banghead:

I just put a 52* & 58* TW9 in my bag replacing my old Tom Watson's Adams 56* & 60* wedges. I would say that the TW9's are less forgiving on mis-hits BUT, are much more rewarding on solid contact. They do produce alot of spin, which has just been crazy for me being I have never had that kind of control with my Adams wedges. That being said it is taking me some time to get use to the (added) weight and feel but that is expected I guess. But with a price tag of $150 (for both) I couldn't be happier.

What is the consensus on vibration dampening as it relates to forgiveness? I never considered that to add forgiveness in shots. To the hands maybe, but do some feel as though it adds forgiveness?

I could be wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with forgiveness, I think it is intended to reduce vibration on miss-hits.

Just ordered a 60*, need to get a 52 as well. Got it for £34.99, which is pretty cheap considering American Golf are selling it for £60.

I've hit my 54 & 58 on the range a few times, and they are much better now. I still dont think I am 100% satisfied with the lie angle of them. I'm 6'1" and have pretty long legs for my height- so maybe that has something to do with it. I fit standard loft/lie on most iron sets, but these feel a bit too upright for me. I am hitting them alot better now, after a few range sessions.

They do chew the range balls up pretty good, I've noticed quite a bit of the cover material stuck in the grooves after each swing. I dont have experience with other wedges outside of a "Spindoctor" hand me down- so I cant comment on how tough they are in comparison to others.

I've hit my 54 & 58 on the range a few times, and they are much better now. I still dont think I am 100% satisfied with the lie angle of them. I'm 6'1" and have pretty long legs for my height- so maybe that has something to do with it. I fit standard loft/lie on most iron sets, but these feel a bit too upright for me. I am hitting them alot better now, after a few range sessions.

They do chew the range balls up pretty good, I've noticed quite a bit of the cover material stuck in the grooves after each swing. I dont have experience with other wedges outside of a "Spindoctor" hand me down- so I cant comment on how tough they are in comparison to others.

When i got fitted a couple of weeks ago my irons had to be bent 2* upright to fit me but, he said the TW9s already fit me with no bending. I guess that means they were already upright enough and i bought them new straight from W/S so, you may need to get fitted for them.

I am playing the 52 and the 58 TW9. The 52 is a great wedge, I use it for most approach shots. I use the 58 alternating with a 56 tour tc wedge, just to tinker around with the bounces and lofts. I am not a big fan of the stiff tt gold shafts. I replaced the shafts in all of my wedges with Apollo cws shafts in r flex. I also have pro soft vibration dampers in all of my steel shafted clubs. Regripped with Avon Chamois grips, which are both great and can be stretched nicely so I can grip down like with the Lamkin wedge grips (add extra layers of masking tape to make up for the loss in diameter).

Back