What do you chip with?

I'm adapting this season. Last year I'd have answered the question as "whichever club the situation warrants." At the time I was playing forged MP-52s with limited offset and great feel/weighting. They were predictable as chipping tools. Now, with the X24 irons, I have no idea yet how to chip with them -- the feel isn't there and they look rather scary behind the ball for a 40 foot chip. I've done more and more chipping lately with my 56 and it really has super feel and turf interaction but I am tending to leave chips a few yards shorter than I'd like. I just bagged a 52 deg wedge and I'm going to give it a try.

BTW: I'm not regretting the X24 switch, there's no doubt that they are longer and more forgiving on approach shots but they aren't the precision tools that they replaced. If only my swing were more consistent!

Instructors don't agree with you on this point glib, they stress getting the ball on the ground as quickly as possible so you can roll to the hole. As far as the closing down on your club, if it is that easy, why not play the entire round with only the 56* for your iron. It would be much cheaper than buying an entire set. I hope you don't think I am coming down hard on you, I only want you to think about this and open up a much easier way of scoring. Good luck!

I think it depends on your skill level. The Hogan book I was reading the other day recommends against the ball being on the ground more than half the total distance because it brings ground features into play that you can avoid by going over.

I am with Hogan on preferring to have the ball in the air more than on the ground. So I use whatever clubs lets me keep the ball in the air at least half the distance/time to the hole. Of course there are exception to everything, but that is my general rule of thumb and why I use different clubs for every shot.

Been using an 8 iron for chipping lately unless there isn't a lot of green to work with then I'll generally use the PW.

Honestly I find myself chipping with everything from my 58* wedge down to my 7 iron.

This, and also sometimes with my 22* hybrid or 3 wood. Mostly use my 54* for straight pitches, 58* if I need more loft, and my 8 iron if I want a little air and then roll.

All depends on the lie and hole location for me. I used to only use a SW but the results were so very inconsistent it wasn't even funny. So for the past year I've been working on using anything from 7i down to my LW and my chipping has gotten much better. Besides, it's fun to read breaks and roll your chips like putts!

Still yet to try hybrid chipping though. Anyone have any tips on this?

I have had some great results with the 7i and 50* wedge in particular so, I'll go with those for most often used.

Anywhere from a 7 iron to a 50* pitching wedge. Unless I happen to be carrying a Niblick that day, then usually that.

Used to be my 60* but lately moved to my 56* as I kept coming up too short.

i like using my 56 more then anything, even though my 52 is a close second

56* wedge for the most part but all depends on the situation I find myself in

If you use the same club for a variety of different pitches, and can do this successfully merely by delofting the club, the likelyhood is that you will develop better feel with that one club that you use.
Compare this with a player who uses nearly every club in the bag and I know who my money would be on.

I normally play my 56 with reasonable results, on the odd occasion when, to be more traditional, I have taken a 7 out, I find myself going way past where I intended the ball to stop. No feel!!
I'd bet on the guy who can chip with more than one club, every time.
Is anyone else in the same boat with me just about only using a 60?
I have used my 60 forever and can seem to hit a lot of shots with it (high lob and low bump n run).
What do yall think about this using one club to hit a bunch of shots?

I think you'd be more consitent using several clubs and the same swing rather than having 5 or 6 different setups and swings for one club.

What do you guys think about using one swing and letting the club 60,52,pw,9 do the rest depending on how far you need to go 10 ft,15, 18 ect. I've been thinking of practicing this and trying to use it. Seems once you get Ur carry and roll out dialed it would be very effective.
Yep, that's it.

I will use a 56º or 60º for all shots around the green. Just kind of depends on what I want to do when I stand over it. Some shots just feel better in my mind with one club or the other. For the longest time, I did everything with just the 56º. As I improved, I have worked in the 60º to get me more options.

I think you'd be more consitent using several clubs and the same swing rather than having 5 or 6 different setups and swings for one club.

I'm just the opposite. I would much rather swing the same club 5 different ways than try and learn 5 different clubs.

A "chip" to me is pretty specific. Mostly I'll use 8, 9, or pw. If I'm in the thick or deep rough I've been using a 50-55* wedge. Pitching, lobs, and flops are an entirely different swing than the chip though, to me anyway.

I'm just the opposite. I would much rather swing the same club 5 different ways than try and learn 5 different clubs.

That just doesn't make sense to me. I have enough trouble swinging the club one way.

I like to flop with my 6 iron.

I always chip with my 56 but I honestly think that the only reason is because it's a Vokey and the grooves bite more than my Taylormade R7 50 degree AW. If I had a Vokey 50 then I would probably use that most of the time.

A "chip" to me is pretty specific. Mostly I'll use 8, 9, or pw. If I'm in the thick or deep rough I've been using a 50-55* wedge. Pitching, lobs, and flops are an entirely different swing than the chip though, to me anyway.

I'm with you, man. One of my pet peeves is people calling a 20,30, or even 40 yard shot with a wedge a chip unless it is one that rolls a lot of the way. Chips roll, pitches land and stop.

I'm with you, man. One of my pet peeves is people calling a 20,30, or even 40 yard shot with a wedge a chip unless it is one that rolls a lot of the way. Chips roll, pitches land and stop.
Agreed, much like announcers with the "3 metal-wood'" description. I understand what they mean but metal, metal-wood? Back on point though, a "chip" in my book has zero wrist break.

For me it really depends on the shot. For chipping anything from 6-iron through LW. For pitching, anything between PW and LW, but usually my GW (50*).

If/when I get a hybrid, chipping with it is definitely something I would experiment with.

There is a ton of variety here! That just shows how many different golfing styles are out there.
How much does where you play determine how you chip?

really depends on the lie, the distance, slope of the green to the pin location...
but i would say 90% of the time, i chip with my 56*....seems to be the goto club for me around the greens.

**Chipping Tip**
I found myself having difficulty chipping from tightly mowed approaches. Either catching it too thin or chunking it, not being able to catch the ball nice and clean.
I began to practice chipping inside my house on a very thin carpet (actually a large area rug) with tile underneath, so there's not much forgiveness at all.
This taught me to be very careful and perfect my chipping swing, as I didn't want to send a ball flying into the wall or window.

Instructors don't agree with you on this point glib, they stress getting the ball on the ground as quickly as possible so you can roll to the hole. As far as the closing down on your club, if it is that easy, why not play the entire round with only the 56* for your iron. It would be much cheaper than buying an entire set. I hope you don't think I am coming down hard on you, I only want you to think about this and open up a much easier way of scoring. Good luck!
Stan Utley isan instructor, and a fine one at that. Getting the ball on the ground as quickly as possible is sometimes not a good idea on some of the greens I play on, for a variety of reasons. The part of your reply that is bolded is so flawed I am not sure how to respond. Thank you for your input, and good luck to you too.

Back