Should ex-athletes play on Nationwide Tour events?

I don't see the problem as long as they qualify under normal circumstances. Either by playing a Monday qualifier or sponsor exemption qualifier. I don't think they should just give them a spot in the field, but can understand if it happens every once in a while. Gotta pay the bills. It's not like these tournaments are getting rich on ticket sales.

I go our local Nationwide event about every year. Thursday and Friday the crowds are pretty light. If letting one guy come in will increase excitement, then maybe it is worth it.

I found this on ESPN. I've heard this discussed before. What does everyone think? Personally, I think that there is no problem with ex-athletes playing. It isn't hurting anything, so by all means have at it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6382925&categoryid=2630020

I do believe they should be allowed to play. I realize that they take up a spot of a more deserving 'golfer'. But the only reason these tournaments happen is due to the Sponsors. And if it is good for the Sponsor to have a celeb or two in the field so gain attention to their tournament, then that is a consideration that the players need to accept so they have their opportunities.

I think qualifying is almost a must however, if a sponsor feels they have earned their exemption then so be it. They have to make money and that's why people take part in it. They're really not hurting the other players if they don't make the cut IMO. And actually they're probably helping them in small ways, bigger crowds, more pressure, etc hopefully gearing them up for the big dance.

So how will you feel when the decide to do this at a regular tour event? I have no interest in watching some washed up retired ball player hacking around a pro golf event. I agree that this is the reason they have pro am days.

If they qualify. Their status from another sport should not get them in alone. The should have to earn their way in just like anyone else. If not, the tour becomes a circus side show.

I agree 100%! No one should get a free ride anywhere in professional sports IMO, so they should have to earn every spot that they have!

I've put some more thought into this. After reading a lot of these answers, I've come to my final conclusion. While ex-athletes will most likely bring more money and publicity to the event, they need to be competitive. By that, I mean they need to go in there having a legitimate chance of making the cut. I think the video said Rice's last tournament he was 19 shots off the cut line. That's terrible! And if a tournament is all about publicity and extra money, then why not just have a celebrity pro-am on the Wednesday before?

whats it matter

My answer was typed better by cj3. It's always about the money and it's never a bad thing when extra revenue can be generated. I don't see the attraction of watching Rice chunk it around either but some people do so they would pay money to see him play

Then he should be playing in the ProAm's , jerry rice belonged on a football field not on the nationwide tour, i could go chunk it around like him and shoot an 82 they wont let me on i have to EARN it l, Let them stay with the Pro Am,s

Put yourself in the shoes of the sponsor of the local event. You want the best players you can get but you also want as many paying customers coming through the gates as possible. Thus the reason for sponsor's exemptions. The sponsor can put anyone he wants in those spots and they don't take opportunity away from any of the regular tour members. In the local event, the sponsor put three young local guys in and one of those made the cut but all of those guys families turned out in big numbers to support their golfers. Let that sponsor enter who he thinks will give his event the most publicity after all it is his money at risk.

Golf is my sport of choice. I don't follow the others at all except in passing. If a nba, mlb, or nfl guy qualifies great, otherwise he is just a distraction.

Back