Wedge Setup and Why?

It does, but most will never admit it. I don't even flop with it. I use it in the bunker or greenside when I'm really far below the hole.

I am in the same boat with you on my 60*. I use it for a flop shot once every month or so. I tried chipping just with it for about 6 months and that really hurt my game. I think you need to practice a ton to be great with it. I just went back to my 56* and my short game has gotten a lot better. I think the 60* is really over rated and hurts most amateurs games.

I am in the same boat with you on my 60*. I use it for a flop shot once every month or so. I tried chipping just with it for about 6 months and that really hurt my game. I think you need to practice a ton to be great with it. I just went back to my 56* and my short game has gotten a lot better. I think the 60* is really over rated and hurts most amateurs games.

I agree with this 100%. Ive taken the 60* out of my bag because I found it got me in more trouble then it was worth. The SW is more then capable of all the shots I need.

I agree with this 100%. Ive taken the 60* out of my bag because I found it got me in more trouble then it was worth. The SW is more then capable of all the shots I need.

Yeah that is what I am going to do and try a 53* out to fix the 85 yard gap I have. I for some reason can't get my AW to just go 80 yards. I just found a Cleveland 588 53* on craigslist for $19. I think I am going to get it to try out for awhile.

This is me too. No love/hate any more because I dumped it. I have a 60 and two 58's in my garage which never see the light of day. It's better that way. :surrender:

Last edited:
I'm currently carrying a 46* PW, 52* GW, 56* SW and 58* SW. I had the 58 before the 56. There was just too big of a gap between my 58 and my 52 so I picked up the 56. I'll probably get a 60 to replace the 58, but its tough since I've used the 58 for so many years now and really have the distance dialed in.

I've found a new joy from hitting half PWs into greens, and opening the face of the 54 degree wedge. The 58 is now consigned to sand shots only most of the time, and neither my 54 or 58 are getting any love when it comes to approaches. I'm done hitting my wedges hard.

This is me too. No love/hate any more because I dumped it. I have a 60 and two 58's in my garage which never se the light of day. It's better that way. :surrender:

I still have some difficulties with the full swing but I practiced/played/practiced some more more with the 60 for all of my pitches and chips. I'm quite comfortable with it now and need it due to my course's small greens. Don't give up people - just focus on your problem until it isn't one and then move onto the next issue!

PW @ 47 degrees, GW @ 52, SW @ 56. I haven't been playing my irons long enough to determine if i need to bend my gap wedge to split the gap in sand and pitching wedge. I play the Callaways because the "c-grind" sole allows me to play my 56 degree as a 60 or greater.

I still have some difficulties with the full swing but I practiced/played/practiced some more more with the 60 for all of my pitches and chips. I'm quite comfortable with it now and need it due to my course's small greens. Don't give up people - just focus on your problem until it isn't one and then move onto the next issue!

I didn't "give up" on the LW. It was an informed decision. I simply don't have any need for it. I carry the 14 clubs which are the most useful to me.

I rarely even hit the 56°. My 54° is my SW, the 56° serves as my LW, and works fine in that capacity. My home course doesn't have particularly large greens either, and that is exaggerated by false fronts and false sides on a few of the greens. I only use the 56° to lob a high arc when I'm short-sided or I need to carry the ball farther and land it softly.

Right now I am bagging the stock wedges with my G15 irons (both the PW and UW) and supplimenting them with 54 and 60 degree Clevelend CG14s. I find this set up covers any kind of shot I'd need from 120 or so and in.

The 54 and 60 degree wedges were added last year and are really starting to pay dividends - the 54 is a sold 80 and in; the 60 I abosolutely love around the greens and in greenside bunkers.

Currently have a 48* PW, 56* SW. But I am looking to fill the gap with a 52* and 60*

I think you will find you hardly use the 60* unless you are in the bunker. the 56* is just as versatile to get large amount of loft on those chips. So go for the bounce that is best for your bunkers.

While I wouldn't worry about the 56/60 gap because if you mainly use the 60 for sand the gap is irrelevant. It all depends on yardage for me when gauging my wedges but I would be concerned about a small gap in between your 50/56. I would have probably gone with a 54* but that is just me.

Go to the range and hit your wedges to figure out the yardages for yourself.

I have this love/hate thing with the 60. I could easily drop it and never look back, but I keep thinking I should have it. Stupid marketing.

man i absolutely love my 60 and use it for everything next to the green... its the most used wedge in my bag... most of the time i deloft the crap out of it and use it to bump and check at close range
my 8i is the other "wedge" i use all the time when the pin is on the opposite side of the green from where im chipping

man i absolutely love my 60 and use it for everything next to the green... its the most used wedge in my bag... most of the time i deloft the crap out of it and use it to bump and check at close range
my 8i is the other "wedge" i use all the time when the pin is on the opposite side of the green from where im chipping

That is a crapload of de-lofting. I find it so uncomfortable to do that.

I have an odd set up as well (relatively speaking). My iron set PW is 45*. I've added only 52* and 60* Vokeys. I hardly ever take a full swing with my wedges so I find that with a controlled partial swing I can hit almost any distance from ~110 and in with these three wedges. Of these, my favorite is my 60* because I can play a good flop shot with it. The problem with me is that's usually my fourth shot on a par 4. :banghead: :crying:

I have had to change up my wedges due to the strong lofted CG16s. I now play a 48* GW, 52* SW, and a 58* LW. I have found this setup to work pretty well.

My set came with a 45 Pitching wedge and a 50 Gap wedge and then I added a 56 and 60. The idea is to have equal gaps between them. Not perfect but it is close and it works.

45-50-56-60

Last edited:
I'm currently at: 47, 51, 56, 60.

But I switch to a 55* SW very often and also substitute a 64* LW from time to time.

I went with 47* PW in my set, then 50*, 54* and 58*. My 9 iron is 42* so if I feel like the gap between 9'and PW is too large or the distance gap between the PW and the 50* is too close then I will bend the PW to 46*.

I do three things with wedges depending on where I am playing and from what tees. Most of the time I will carry a 52GW / 56SW / 60LW especially if I don't know the golf course or if it is average distance playing middle tees. Sometimes I will take out the 52 and 56 and put in a 54SW so I can add in a 5 wood for a longer layout or for playing the back tees. The 54 gives better gap coverage between the 47PW and the 60LW than a 56 will and the 5W fills the gap between my 2 hybrid and the 3W. For an especially short track or if I know I am playing white tees like in a scramble or whatever I will usually dump the 5 wood and go with 3 wedges and sometimes even add in a 64LW and take out the hybrid if I don't think I need it and carry 4 wedges.

After hitting the range this morning I have come to the conclusion that I need a wedge in between my PW and 56. I am thinking of a 52 as my wedge is 47

I will have to drop the 60 though as I already have 14 clubs in the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

Gaps in wedges

Gaps in wedges

Hi everyone,
I had a question about wedge gaps. Right now my A wedge is 50*, my sand wedge is 56* and my lob wedge is 60*. I hit my A wedge around 115-125 and my sand wedge goes about 80-100. There's a big 15 yard gap there and I have no club for it. do you guys think I would benefit more from a 54 and 58 degree wedge after my 50 degree? Do you any of you use a 54/58 degree and do you like it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would simply say yes. It's the most logical thing to do. You could also bend your 56* to a 54* if money is tight. With short game a 15 yard gap is a bit of a difference because the wedge game is so touchy feely. I would close it up a bit with some smaller gaps degree wise between your 50 and 56.

You could bend your A wedge to 52 but I don't know what that'll do to the gap between your A wedge and your Pitching....

I play 54 and 58 degree wedges, with a gap wedge that is 50 degrees. I've played a 54 for a number of years as it's a pretty good 100 yard club for me. The more recent change for me is going from a 60 degree wedge to a 58 degree wedge. I've found that I can hit all of the shots with the 58 degree wedge that I used to hit with my 60, and it's made for better gaps on full shots from the fairway. Also, I use my 54 more out of the sand than my 58, but some people will use their 58 as their primary sand wedge instead of the 54, so that's something to consider if you're worried about losing your 56 degree wedge by making the switch.

Back