Can a guy become a tour pro in 10,000 hours?

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
This guy is going to try to go from never playing golf in his life to making the PGA Tour with a plan to play for 10,000 hours:
http://www.tampabay.com/features/ca...golf-pro-with-10000-hours-of-practice/1159357

The 10,000 hour theory also holds that you have some talent in that area as well. I can promise you that I have spend well over 10,000 hours playing basketball competively and was so far away from playing pro ball its silly and I was good. I really doubt that he makes the PGA tour.

Interesting plan but I would say no dice.

A person could spend 10,000 hours just working on ball striking and not be as good of a ball striker as a tour pro. Much less all the other aspects of the game as well

I wish him luck, he's going to need it. 10,000 hours is nowhere near enough time to be ready for the PGA tour.

Sounds just like a plan that somebody that has never played the game before would cook up. You might be able to pull it off if your 10,000 hours started about age four and your parents had some reason to believe you had some physical ability to begin with.

My daughter's swing coach claims it takes, assuming some natural talent, 6,000 hours of focused practice to play D1 college golf. That's a lot of golf in Cheeseland.

Kevin

I've been a human being for well over 10,000 hours and still have a long way to go before I master getting that down. :)

He's a lefty. More power to him, he'll do it.

Can't wait to hear on this guy's progress. I don't personally think it can be done, but I have been wrong before.

No. I'll play the odds on this one.

More power to him for chasing his dream though.

I don't think he will even get to scratch. Surprised he hasn't quit already, mentioned all the other things he did he quit. I don't even think he will last through the whole experiment.

If anyone wants to read about a story like this check out the book "Paper Tiger" just a great book and a good read on how a guy does almost this same thing. Quits his life to become a pro golfer.

My first reaction to this is here we go again with golf being disrespected as being somehow easy. My second thought is that it is just not possible. He would have about the same chance of success he would have if he had decided he wanted to play football, baseball or basketball after training for that long. That is a big fat zero.

if the 10000 hrs was at 7-8 hrs aday that would be 3 1/2 years if he has a talent then id say why not

3.5 years of practicing 8 hours every day I would think he would be pretty good but I doubt it would be enough for the PGA tour.

Interesting plan but I would say no dice.

+2. People just don't know or they forget just how good the tour guys really are. Most could spend unlimited amount of hours and never get close to the big tour.

He says himself that there's a "99 percent chance I'm not going to become a PGA golfer." There is more to becoming a Pro Golfer than simply putting in the time. It is a must that the player have that certain natural God given ability that the tour pros possess. If you have ever heard a pro strike a golf ball, it difinitely sounds different than the ball being struck by the vast majority of golfers, their mental toughness, decision making, green reading, imagination are all so very far above those of most that it is just unreal. By giving himself a 1% chance he may have been estimating a bit too high IMO.

Great book...worth the read if you're a golf fan. I actually worked for a bit with the same swing coach that Coyne used in the book, and he claimed that the guy was a head case and that really held him back. I think it just goes to show you that in this game you can have talent, training, etc., but if you don't have the right stuff between your ears, you're sunk before you even start.

I'd bet this guy has less than 1% chance of making it.

Tom Coyne did something similar several years ago and wrote a book about it called "Paper Tiger". Its a pretty good read, I'd recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Tiger-Obsessed-Golfers-Quest/dp/B001A5UVDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303290025&sr=8-1

His plan is 6 hours a day for 6 years. I read the article and I think the guy can do it. First he has convinced one of the best Coaches no one has heard of outside of the Portland in Chris Smith. And he seems to be going about it the right way. It's not like those reality shows where Jim Mcleans takes a chop and gets him to break 90. This guy seems to be working on the right things, not just beating balls. 10,000 hours of good practice can turn him into a PGA pro. Hell 10,000 hours was the time neededto learn fluent Japanese by my uncle. I wish the guy all the best and will start following his progress.

3.5 years of practicing 8 hours every day I would think he would be pretty good but I doubt it would be enough for the PGA tour.

Man if I practiced 6 hrs 6days a week for 6 years I would be Badass lol

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

after reading the article on this I've got mixed feelings about it. He comes from a family of successful & dedicated individuals...but he's the black sheep of the bunch. A starter for sure, but not a finisher of anything really. I'm going to follow this, but sadly I think he will never see his 10,000 hour of practice completed!

In my limited play in competition talent and skill is only a small part of what you need to WIN. I encounter numerous scratch and insanely talented golfers that aren't on tour for some reason. What's between the ears makes a tour player if ya ask me. Can't teach that, just have to be wired to not crumble under the intense pressure of competition at the highest level.

Back