Srixon Z-Star Driver

you forgot that you hit 300 yd drives and like long walks on the beach
Im 5'9 and 170. Sexy green eyes. Is that the data you meant? :alien:

you forgot that you hit 300 yd drives and like long walks on the beach

My bad. I just didnt want to break the app with my pure workabilityness.

Why would Srixon invest in an application if they don't really plan on marketing and having a presence in the US golf industry? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, in fact, I find it quite odd. "We provide an app so that golfers can better optimize the adjustability of this driver!" yeah, if they are right handed and can find the damn thing. It's just odd to me, and it kind of annoys me.

Why would Srixon invest in an application if they don't really plan on marketing and having a presence in the US golf industry? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, in fact, I find it quite odd. "We provide an app so that golfers can better optimize the adjustability of this driver!" yeah, if they are right handed and can find the damn thing. It's just odd to me, and it kind of annoys me.

Do you believe that apps are only a US thing?

Do you believe that apps are only a US thing?

Nope....and I thought of that before I posted. If the US market isn't your focus than just don't bring it here. And if you do, don't half ass it either. I think it blows that it's impossible for folks to find stuff to demo that you have in your bag. However, I'm sure that it's a justifiable reason.

Nope....and I thought of that before I posted. If the US market isn't your focus than just don't bring it here. And if you do, don't half ass it either. I think it blows that it's impossible for folks to find stuff to demo that you have in your bag. However, I'm sure that it's a justifiable reason.

No offense, but I could not disagree more. If the US is not your main focus, dont bring it here? That makes little sense to me. Do you know how many incredible products are here in every day life that the US is not the main focus on?

They cannot control distribution and whether shops want to carry it. They have started to change that, but in the end, have a great presence with one of their other lines (Cleveland). As the golf balls gain more marketshare, things might change.

Do you think Wilson Staff is half assing it?
How about Scratch, SeeMore or Bridgestone?

Do you think Wilson Staff is half assing it?
How about Scratch, SeeMore or Bridgestone?

No offense taken. Obviously, you know more about their goals as a company than I do, and I always appreciate when you share some information.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I think W/S half asses it. There's a brazilian posts on THP that prove it to. So many people are interested in their products, yet they're impossible to find for the most part. When people live in the Los Angeles area and have trouble finding W/S gear to demo, yeah, I'd call that half ass'ing it. I like W/S, I think they make some wonderful product, but it is not available like almost every other major OEM is.

I can't answer honestly about Scratch b/c I just don't care for them.

I think Bridgestone is wonderful when it comes to their golf balls, and it's pretty clear that balls are their baby, not equipment. SRI is a bit different to me b/c they seem to be more about the equipment than the golf ball. Why spend that kind of $$$$ to sponsor Gmac, who's predominantly a member of the PGA TOUR, if they don't plan on making Srixon equipment more available to the US market?

I'm not sure why Seemore's even being asked about. What makes you think that they belong in this discussion?

No offense taken. Obviously, you know more about their goals as a company than I do, and I always appreciate when you share some information.

Yes, I think W/S half asses it. There's a brazilian posts on THP that prove it to. So many people are interested in their products, yet they're impossible to find for the most part. When people live in the Los Angeles area and have trouble finding W/S gear to demo, yeah, I'd call that half ass'ing it. I like W/S, I think they make some wonderful product, but it is not available like almost every other major OEM is.

I asked the Wilson Staff rep over the weekend why these clubs can't be found anywhere near me. He told me that When he had gear in the area, they didn't sell. So he gives Albany a few things like wedges and hybrids because they are more likely to sell. He is out of Rochester(about 4 hours away) and says they move more irons out that way so that's what they offer out that way. I know he is a company sales rep so take it for what it's worth.

sorry to jump in here...maybe SRI sponsored Gmac knowing that he could potentially help them gain a bigger footprint in the US market? I know all my local golf shops and stores carry Cleveland out the wazoo but almost never any Srixon. Right now it's like a line of cars Hondas (Cleveland) are cheaper, sell better, and have more demand than Acura (Srixon) who may be made better but aren't as available and cost more. May not be the right analogy or even thought pattern but maybe the lack of some of these co's gear is strictly based on carriers not willing to carry it vs. the general availability of it?

I think Bridgestone is wonderful when it comes to their golf balls, and it's pretty clear that balls are their baby, not equipment. SRI is a bit different to me b/c they seem to be more about the equipment than the golf ball. Why spend that kind of $$$$ to sponsor Gmac, who's predominantly a member of the PGA TOUR, if they don't plan on making Srixon equipment more available to the US market?

I'm not sure why Seemore's even being asked about. What makes you think that they belong in this discussion?

sorry to jump in here...maybe SRI sponsored Gmac knowing that he could potentially help them gain a bigger footprint in the US market? I know all my local golf shops and stores carry Cleveland out the wazoo but almost never any Srixon. Right now it's like a line of cars Hondas (Cleveland) are cheaper, sell better, and have more demand than Acura (Srixon) who may be made better but aren't as available and cost more. May not be the right analogy or even thought pattern but maybe the lack of some of these co's gear is strictly based on carriers not willing to carry it vs. the general availability of it?

I think you make a good point, but look at how many people jump right on the Taylormade TP irons (their Acura), b/c they are forged and workable and whatever. Point is, SRI's CG16's, which are popular and I'm sure selling well, are Taylormade's 2.0's, and Taylormade's TP irons could be Srixon's ZStars (same price point, both forged), however, Taylormade just flat out gets it when it comes to marketing and availability. And there's no way that SRI doesn't have the $$$$ or the setup to be more assertive.

I included a company like SeeMore because it is another example of a company that people want to try and many times cannot.

Do you assume that for golf companies that if you make it, you just throw it in a store and see if it does well? There has to be a store that buys it and that is all based on demand of a product. Yes you will be able to find the Callaway and TM and Titleist and Nike and others in every store to hit. They dominate marketing and demand right now and because of that every store wants and has to have them.

Its not easy to get distribution. This is not consignment. It costs a TON of money to get into the proper channels and SRI has weighed the costs and in my opinion said why start over with Srixon, when we have Cleveland in these channels now. Go overseas and you will see the exact opposite. You will see all Srixon clubs and very few Cleveland clubs. Why would a company want to have two products compete against each other in the same marketplace. Remember the Titleist Cobra thing? It did not go well.

I think that Srixon is starting to grab some attention. I know that my driver has created a little buzz around the high school kids that I grab a round with occasionally.

I think you make a good point, but look at how many people jump right on the Taylormade TP irons (their Acura), b/c they are forged and workable and whatever. Point is, SRI's CG16's, which are popular and I'm sure selling well, are Taylormade's 2.0's, and Taylormade's TP irons could be Srixon's ZStars (same price point, both forged), however, Taylormade just flat out gets it when it comes to marketing and availability. And there's no way that SRI doesn't have the $$$$ or the setup to be more assertive.

Cleveland has a "TP" line, its called Tour.

These are all very valid points and I tend to agree. Look at all the post about wanting to try the Di11's but not being able to find them. Heck in the Z-star iron thread someone was just talking about this very thing. In a huge, awesome state like Texas full of iPads and golf courses and tons of golf shops no Z-star irons to be found.

Cleveland has a "TP" line, its called Tour.

They aren't forged, nor do they really cater to the same customer, at least in my opinion.

These are all very valid points and I tend to agree. Look at all the post about wanting to try the Di11's but not being able to find them. Heck in the Z-star iron thread someone was just talking about this very thing. In a huge, awesome state like Texas full of iPads and golf courses and tons of golf shops no Z-star irons to be found.

Do you believe that is Wilsons fault? Or the stores fault that decides what they will buy and when?

They aren't forged, nor do they really cater to the same customer, at least in my opinion.

Neither were R9 TPs, R7 TPs or anything else for the last few years until this year.

Do you believe that is Wilsons fault? Or the stores fault that decides what they will buy and when?

Honestly Im not sure. When it comes to distribution is the store or the OEM more in control? I always thought it was a little of both but Im not sure. I know I ask Golf Galaxy about W/S once and they said it was dropped by their choice.

I think it's more of this more than anything else, just an un-educated guess though

Neither were R9 TPs, R7 TPs or anything else for the last few years until this year.

True, but at least people can find the FORGED TP irons to hit in 2011, can't say the same for the Z Stars.

I don't want to argue about this. I'm just sharing my feelings on the matter, offering my opinion. I just think it's silly for me to believe that Srixon isn't really interested in the US market when they blanket GMac with their brand then push this whole Ipad application. I think it's cool and progressive but sucks that you just can't find them. I don't see any fault with thinking that way.

. I know I ask Golf Galaxy about W/S once and they said it was dropped by their choice.

Well, then there is your answer. It takes millions of dollars to get a foot in the door in this market. Yes SRI has that, but in the end is it worth it to then go after and compete with another top 5 brand that falls under the same umbrella?

I am not sure I know the answer, but I do understand why it happens.

Honestly Im not sure. When it comes to distribution is the store or the OEM more in control? I always thought it was a little of both but Im not sure. I know I ask Golf Galaxy about W/S once and they said it was dropped by their choice.

I worked at GG when they decided to drop them, I was told that it was GG choice because the W/S product wasn't moving enough to make it worth keeping. I would think the store has a little more control over the OEM about what goes on their shelves.

True, but at least people can find the FORGED TP irons to hit in 2011, can't say the same for the Z Stars.

I don't want to argue about this. I'm just sharing my feelings on the matter, offering my opinion. I just think it's silly for me to believe that Srixon isn't really interested in the US market when they blanket GMac with their brand then push this whole Ipad application. I think it's cool and progressive but sucks that you just can't find them. I don't see any fault with thinking that way.

Let me ask you a question.
Were they silly when they covered Jim Furyk for the last how many years?
Just like Bridgestone, they are going after a market segment and that happens to be golf balls in the US.
An area that Cleveland does not cover.

Is it silly that Bridgestone sponsors Fred Couples, Kuchar, DLIII or other guys and they play their equipment? I think that it has done well in terms of ball sales as they are #2 in marketshare at this time. Srixon wants a piece of that pie over here since they already have a large piece of the equipment pie in their other company.

Let me ask you a question.
Were they silly when they covered Jim Furyk for the last how many years?
Just like Bridgestone, they are going after a market segment and that happens to be golf balls in the US.
An area that Cleveland does not cover.

Is it silly that Bridgestone sponsors Fred Couples, Kuchar, DLIII or other guys and they play their equipment? I think that it has done well in terms of ball sales as they are #2 in marketshare at this time. Srixon wants a piece of that pie over here since they already have a large piece of the equipment pie in their other company.

If they want ball marketshare then they should be investing in ball fitting apps and doing what they can to get their golf balls out there as much as possible. I don't see them doing that, so how am I suppose to know that they are more interested in golf ball market share than equipment market share? Not everyone has the connections, contacts and information that you have.

Back