Steve Jobs Is Watching You

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa! If this is true...This is VERY VERY bad.

Several researchers at O’Reilly have discovered an extremely troubling feature of iPhones and 3G iPads running Apple’s iOS 4. In a blog post and accompanying video, the site details that Apple is storing the GPS coordinates of cellular iDevices locally, in an unencrypted and unprotected file. “Ever since iOS 4 arrived, your device has been storing a long list of locations and time stamps,” reads the post. “We’re not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it’s clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations.” O’Reilly goes on to note that along with a list of timestamped GPS coordinates, the file also contains a list of Wi-Fi access points that the affected device has been in range of. “Anybody with access to this file knows where you’ve been over the last year, since iOS 4 was released,” the brief continues. The file in question — named consolidated.db — is present in the backup file created when syncing a cellular iOS device with iTunes, and, obviously, on the iOS device itself. “Why this data is stored and how Apple intends to use it — or not — are important questions that need to be explored,” writes the team. Apple’s security team did not respond to O’Reilly‘s request for comment. The video made by the researchers is after the break.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/20/apple-recording-storing-gps-position-of-iphone-3g-ipad-users-video/

It's bad, but not shocking to me at all.

I could see it, but I question what they actually do with the data. I mean it can't harm us really.

bah, i'm used to being watched... though I don't have an iPhone anymore nor do I own and iPad yet!

• Admin
It's bad, but not shocking to me at all.

Yeah this is really really bad. The pro Apple crowd are arguing that it is not transmitting info to Apple. But that is not really the point. It's tracking private information without your knowledge, and without any way for the user to access and delete the information. Its really quite frightening. Like a camera watching you and because it is not being transmitted but held on file, it is okay.

If this is true I'm gonna throw my Iphone in the trash. After my contract is up lol. Cant afford the term fee.

In all reality though, how is this not infuriating to some? If any other company did this, good lord can you imagine the outrage?

I wonder if they are selling my information to people? The NSA has been doing this for quite some time, ever since they mandated that all phones have the GPS tracking for emergency purposes.

wow this is crazy, might have to think twice about getting the Iphone in august

Well Kev atleast you carry a gun incase a psycho from Apple decides to stalk you haha.

your device has been storing a long list of locations and time stamps

That giant 'cha-ching' sound you just heard were all the divorce attorneys rejoicing over yet another way to prove Bill was at Heather's house after all while Michelle was home with the kids thinking Bill was working late.

Yeah, I think the U.S. gov't has been doing this for years. I don't worry about things I cannot control. I also don't have AT & T so it doesn't concern me too much.

Make sure you don't lose your phone or have it stolen.

This is a great way for people that want to learn information (crazy stalkers) to get it.

There is no positive spin on this, as an Apple user, I am appalled by this.

Yeah this is really really bad. The pro Apple crowd are arguing that it is not transmitting info to Apple. But that is not really the point. It's tracking private information without your knowledge, and without any way for the user to access and delete the information. Its really quite frightening. Like a camera watching you and because it is not being transmitted but held on file, it is okay.

I would imagine most companies are using info like this for market research and whatnot. With all the 4square and using different WiFi locations most people are already trackable (new word) by their IP address, aren't they? Apple has always seemed like a shady company to me, but I find their products really easy to use. I'll just make sure the next time I'm going to murder a hitchhiker and dump his body I won't bring my iPhone or iPad with me.

You have to live life knowing someone could be watching your every move.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. This stuff has been going on for years without anyone knowing. Someone just stumbled across it.

Yeah, I think the U.S. gov't has been doing this for years. I don't worry about things I cannot control. I also don't have AT & T so it doesn't concern me too much.

That may be true. But you are not buying the US govt for personal use (sort of). This is a device one buys for their personal use and it is secretly collecting data about them.

your device has been storing a long list of locations and time stamps

That giant 'cha-ching' sound you just heard were all the divorce attorneys rejoicing over yet another way to prove Bill was at Heather's house after all while Michelle was home with the kids thinking Bill was working late.

Are these types of records of peoples locations admissible in court?

I've honestly always assumed data like that was tracked, not a big deal imo.

They only know where my phone goes, not where I go.

I would imagine most companies are using info like this for market research and whatnot. With all the 4square and using different WiFi locations most people are already trackable (new word) by their IP address, aren't they? Apple has always seemed like a shady company to me, but I find their products really easy to use. I'll just make sure the next time I'm going to murder a hitchhiker and dump his body I won't bring my iPhone or iPad with me.

But again those are people choosing to use a service such as that. This is a device doing it without any notification and no way to delete it.

Are these types of records of peoples locations admissible in court?

Seriously doubtful since just because your phone is there doesn't mean that you have it or are using it.

Me too dude. This is bullsh!t to be honest. Bolded part is the biggest reason. Easy enough for someone to get info as it is, Apple just contributing another avenue because you know someone is gonna find a way to this info without good intentions.

Make sure you don't lose your phone or have it stolen.

This is a great way for people that want to learn information (crazy stalkers) to get it.

There is no positive spin on this, as an Apple user, I am appalled by this.

I wonder if they are doing it to trace where people are accessing the internet from to maybe build a advertisment system....maybe a...looking for a place to eat? this is 2 blocks away!

Is it scary to think about what else they can do with this? yes
If anything they should give you an option to turn it on or off...

But for me it isnt much different than google tracking where you are and what you look at on the internet most to give you advertisements targeted toward you alone...

That may be true. But you are not buying the US govt for personal use (sort of). This is a device one buys for their personal use and it is secretly collecting data about them.

I bought my laptop for personal use and I have no doubt that Yahoo! and Google and plenty of other places collects data about me. Like I said, I don't concern myself with things I cannot control. I'm sure that this is something that isn't in fact illegal.

Back