How's Your Handicap

How's Your Handicap

• Total voters
Woo hoo! My hcp is down to a 4.3 as of yesterday!

Great stuff man, I think I'm hovering around 11 right now, which should be much lower, if I can get my putting worked out which is getting much better after a lot of putting green time over the past couple of days.

I feel like mine is ready to start dropping, but I am going to lose several very good rounds in the next month which is bound to move it in the wrong direction. I haven't played a lot this year, but still havent gotten into the 80s. I posted a 90 on a par 71 and it registered as a 14.8 though.

My Handicap has been stable for the past 6-8 months. But with my R11 and CB's (on the way) I have a feeling I'm going to make a run this season at knocking off a few strokes.

OK quick Handicap thread hijack:

This is my 1st year ever to keep a true handicap, and so far I just received my 1st actual GHIN handicap last week. One quick question though, are AWAY scores weighed heavier than home scores? And secondly, if so, are the only true "home" scores suppose to be the rounds at that SPECIFIC club? I go from public to public depending on the week and who's course is in the best shape, so I consider these all home courses for me....so needless to say my HCP seems a little off....any thoughts?

Mine is rising (temporarily) since I played very little in 2010. My early 2011 round of 88 knocked off a 79 from last 20 scores! I'm committed to playing more in 2011 and that should correct the slide.

This is my 1st year ever to keep a true handicap, and so far I just received my 1st actual GHIN handicap last week. One quick question though, are AWAY scores weighed heavier than home scores? And secondly, if so, are the only true "home" scores suppose to be the rounds at that SPECIFIC club? I go from public to public depending on the week and who's course is in the best shape, so I consider these all home courses for me....so needless to say my HCP seems a little off....any thoughts?

Any round which isn't played at the club which maintains your handicap is an away score. And no, Away scores are not weighed any differently from home scores. All differentials are calculated from the same formula based on the particular course rating and slope for the tees you played at that course.

I just log my scores in on the Golf logix app and it tells me my handicap after 5 rounds. I think it is a good reference point to see if the things you are working on are helping or not.

It doesn't matter where you play your round. Every set of tees on every course has a course rating and course slope. Those two numbers and your score are used to calculate a "differential." Then your handicap index is calculated using the lowest 10 of the last 20 differentials you have posted. After you have a handicap index, use that index and the slope of the tees you are playing to determine your "Course Handicap." For example, my index this week is 5.6 so my course handicap on a course with slope of 137 is 7.

The GHIN website is pretty handy for looking your handicap index and then will give you your course handicap if you know the slope of the course. Your course handicap could be different for different sets of tees at the same course, it is all based on slope.

Your home course is simply the course where you paid the fees for maintaining a handicap.

Last edited:
i hope my scores go down when the wind stops blowing :sad:

I do not belong to a club and do not have an "official" handicap. However, I was directed to an online service, www.myscorecard.com and I entered all of my rounds from the June until now. According to the service, my handicapp is much better than I thought it was. Is it great? NO!! But it is starting point and gives me somethingto work with. I have had my HC listed in my signature at 18 and after my rounds being entered into the service, I have a HC of 13.

I do not belong to a club and do not have an "official" handicap. However, I was directed to an online service, www.myscorecard.com and I entered all of my rounds from the June until now. According to the service, my handicapp is much better than I thought it was. Is it great? NO!! But it is starting point and gives me somethingto work with. I have had my HC listed in my signature at 18 and after my rounds being entered into the service, I have a HC of 13.
It always nice to be surprised, keep,working and it'll get even lower. Congrats!

I have been using scorecard.com since the beginning of the year and I really like it since I can track my progress throughout the year and go back and see where and what I have done. It is definitely worth the 12-13 dollars a year for it.

Back