Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll join the club too!! Have only broken 100 twice and it was 2 years ago. My biggest problem, swinging the club correctly to hit the ball where I want it to go:D (from what I have seen at the range so far this year I will be lucky to break 100 on 9 holes)

shot 101 today down from 107 yesterday. played with strangers both days and think that has an effect on the nerves. goibg to scratch my stats and start again based on rounds where im out alone or with people im more comfortable playing with. my driving seems to have come on today changed my address and shot routine and seem to have reduced the terrible hook i hit yesterday.

hit 44% of fairway and those i missed where either in first cut or short due to a complete mishit.

putting average of 1.56 and my play around the green was pretty good.

long irons need a lot of work. hitting a big left to right curve in my shots alignment is way off. also need to improve the 100-40 yard side of my game. thinned a lot of shots there.

2 pars despite no GIR so getting better now to keep it moving that way.

last round i shot 101 with one of those being a penalty shot from double striking the ball while chipping due to trying add loft and not trusting my club. This was one of my better rounds. Aiming to get consitently in the mid nineties so want to see consistant drop over my next 10 rounds. Short game and putting is my big weakness. several chips going 20 feet past the pin followed by 3 putts is a regular feature of my current game!

Kudos for not flubbing the score just to break 100. I know a few dudes that would have not counted the penalty (along with a few other things like swings and the ball goes 2 feet) than bragged about breaking 100.

Kudos for not flubbing the score just to break 100. I know a few dudes that would have not counted the penalty (along with a few other things like swings and the ball goes 2 feet) than bragged about breaking 100.

if i were to exclude the 2 feet duff and penalties then i probaly would have shot 80 ;). no point in fudging scores as you are only kidding yourself. i still didnt learn the lesson though. most recent round (another 101) i dropped 3 shots in penalties doing the exact same thing while chipping.

Not only did I break 100 I broke 90 with 89 but still consider myself a member of this group because I have only broken 100 maybe 10 times and until I can do it at least 8 out of 10 times then I will join the breaking 90 family,but my round of 89 was due to me finally not trying to make any hero shots meaning I wasn't trying to make the green with every shot,i didn't use any woods except driver.I had a par 5 where I was 240 out instead of grabbing the 3 wood and slicing it I pulled a 5 iron and hit it 190 with roll of course but it was straight and I had a easy chip,back nine I shot a 43 which included a 9 on a par 5 so all in all a good round,3 lessons under my belt has helped tremendously.89 for me was really impressive to me considering I screwed up the par 3's

Well, best of luck to all. :)

putting average of 1.56
I'd kill for putting stats like that. Then I'd be looking at breaking 80 or something. Hate to practice putting though, so guess things are as to be expected.

I finally broke 100 and scored a 99 today from playing from the white tees, not the ladies tees :clapp: I'm hoping this is a start of good things to come :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot 101 yesterday, down from 108 (2 weeks ago and that was my first round in about 5-6 years).
Would've probably broke 100 if not for the snowman I took on #1 trying to kill my drive off the tee and pull hooking OB.
Only had 1 more triple all day so I did pretty good limiting damage on course.

I know that about 75% of my problems stem from me trying to absolutely crush it off the tee regardless of the club in my hand. My buddy said to me on about the 6th tee to just act like you're in your living room practice swinging even when your over the ball. It worked - piped my next drive about 250 over a 175 forced carry on a par 5. 3H to about 30 yds from the green - pitch and a 2 putt and it was my first par of the day and it completely turned my round around.

Hey Gang, well I am new to THP and I hope you can welcome a new member to the Breaking 100's club. This will be my 2nd real golfing season hitting the Links on a average of 1-2 times every couple weeks. My biggest improvement from last season is my driving. I was a slice master and was the biggest frustration I had. If I could minus all of the penalty strokes I take in a round I could probably break 100 with no problem. My last round at least 2/3's of my drives were dead straight will fairly decent distance. But like anything usually the holes that I drive well my irons or pitching fails on me lol. So this year my focus is taking divots and getting my short game improved. So I look forward to hearing what is going on with everyones road to success and any tips/drills/equipment you guys/gals are using to help you out.

Hey Gang, well I am new to THP and I hope you can welcome a new member to the Breaking 100's club. This will be my 2nd real golfing season hitting the Links on a average of 1-2 times every couple weeks. My biggest improvement from last season is my driving. I was a slice master and was the biggest frustration I had. If I could minus all of the penalty strokes I take in a round I could probably break 100 with no problem. My last round at least 2/3's of my drives were dead straight will fairly decent distance. But like anything usually the holes that I drive well my irons or pitching fails on me lol. So this year my focus is taking divots and getting my short game improved. So I look forward to hearing what is going on with everyones road to success and any tips/drills/equipment you guys/gals are using to help you out.

Welcome Matt. I have about the same amount of golfing experience as you and I have the same problems: Good drive, horrible irons or vice versa. You should check back to the beginning of this thread and there are alot of useful tips. Plus, the resident pro section of the forums always has good pointers.

Let's hope we can break a hundred this year! :drinks:

I am a newbie to THP but am a veteran of the 100+ golf game....unfortunately. I picked up the game about 6 years ago and two years ago would have been in the breaking 90 thread, but with a full year off of the game I am now in need of some work. To start the year off, I went ahead and updated my irons & wedges to both help my game (hopefully!) as well as just to add that extra excitement back into playing. I have been hitting the range a couple of times a week (weather permitting...raining for the last week) for the last month or so and am hoping to take it to the course next week. Currently, my range sessions have been mediocre, alot of FAT shots. During one of my last range session I was hitting about 2 of 5 shots fat and couldn't figure out what I was doing. Until, an older gentlemen approached me and asked if he could lend me some advice. I told him, I would listen to any words of possible wisdom. He told me one of the best words of advice that completely turned my session around......."keep your head down"! One of the first things anyone ever tells another about a golf swing. I was so anxious to see where my new shiny clubs were going to send this scuffed up range ball that I was pulling up and dipping. This has always been one of my golf flaws......hit a couple good shots then I can't wait to watch the next "great" shot, which of-course is alway the bad one.

My goal this year is to just swing in tempo, trust my swing, and to see the point on the ground where my golf ball was before looking for the result. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and I hope that we can all chat again in the 90's club someday soon. :glasses-cool:

Alright so I figured I would start this thread in here and see if/when you guys upgraded your equipment and if it has helped out your game. I started off using a hammy down set of old clubs then I upgraded to a Maxfli set from golf galaxy which definitely helped my game a bit. So now I feel I should set it up again and get a decent set of irons. I know there are a million sets out there so what have you guys learned/used so I can start doing some hands on research. Thanks in advance.

Alright so I figured I would start this thread in here and see if/when you guys upgraded your equipment and if it has helped out your game. I started off using a hammy down set of old clubs then I upgraded to a Maxfli set from golf galaxy which definitely helped my game a bit. So now I feel I should set it up again and get a decent set of irons. I know there are a million sets out there so what have you guys learned/used so I can start doing some hands on research. Thanks in advance.

just give up the game!! that will help alot!! hahaha

Thus far this year I've taken lessons and I am finding a little time to practice. I am getting off the tee much better than before, and hitting my long irons great. My short irons are a mess with the new swing. I feel I have a better base this year and will break 90. So far this year I have 7 rounds recorded, 3 under 100 and 1 at 100. I recorded a 108 on a very difficult course which is a small victory for me. I hope to break 90 this year and get me handicap under 20.

I just picked up a set of TM Burner SuperLaunch which I believe are TM's SGI line.
I went from a 108 old irons (about 10 years old but haven't been played in 7) to a 101 this passed weekend.
I don't know how much of it was the irons or just me working off the rust.
I will tell you, shots with good contact went almost a 1/2 club farther than my distances with the old clubs.
Flew a couple greens with my short irons.
I should also add that my set came with 3iH and 4iH which are very easy to hit.
In fact I was using the 3iH to tee off alot of the time as I was consistantly putting it out there about 200-210.
My driver was all over the place but that's for a different thread :laugh:

Time for me to throw my hat into the ring. :) I've been playing now for just over a year and a half, although I had most of last summer out due to a trapped nerve.

My main problem used to be my tee shots - I've never used a driver, but was spraying my 3 wood around a lot and had no confidence in it. In fact I used to avoid teeing off if anyone was close by because I was worried about hitting them!! I've had another set of lessons recently that have really helped with my swing and I'm a lot more consistent off the tee, making the rest of the hole much easier.

My medium and long irons are working well at the moment, but inside of 50 yards of the pin is what's really hurting me. I need to focus much more on this during the coming year and know I can knock quite a few shots off in this area. I average 3 putts a hole, so getting that down to a reasonable level should give me 9-18 shots per round.

I've been using hand-me-down clubs since I started but was struggling with the length of them. I've only recently discovered that they can be custom fit, so have now ordered some Wilson Staff Di11's (one inch longer, 2 degrees upright) and can't wait to see what difference those make. I'm hoping to get consistently under the 100, and start bringing the handicap down, before the end of the season.

So I've just recently broke 100 as of last summer. As of late I've been shooting in the 96-92 range. Most of my help in lower my score has come from my new R11 and my practice with my wedges. But last Sunday I played 9 holes at a short muni course (the longest hole was 340, i think) and I shot a 43, which put my on pace for 86. It's always nice to play a shorter course to build up some confidence in your short game. Too all trying to break 100 as I did last summer I'd have to say the toughest part for me was wedge game and driving. The most stable part of your game has to be your putting though.I practiced a lot and tried to make 3 putting non-existent as part of my game.

Time for me to throw my hat into the ring. :) I've been playing now for just over a year and a half, although I had most of last summer out due to a trapped nerve.

My main problem used to be my tee shots - I've never used a driver, but was spraying my 3 wood around a lot and had no confidence in it. In fact I used to avoid teeing off if anyone was close by because I was worried about hitting them!! I've had another set of lessons recently that have really helped with my swing and I'm a lot more consistent off the tee, making the rest of the hole much easier.

My medium and long irons are working well at the moment, but inside of 50 yards of the pin is what's really hurting me. I need to focus much more on this during the coming year and know I can knock quite a few shots off in this area. I average 3 putts a hole, so getting that down to a reasonable level should give me 9-18 shots per round.

I've been using hand-me-down clubs since I started but was struggling with the length of them. I've only recently discovered that they can be custom fit, so have now ordered some Wilson Staff Di11's (one inch longer, 2 degrees upright) and can't wait to see what difference those make. I'm hoping to get consistently under the 100, and start bringing the handicap down, before the end of the season.

Oh someone just down the road from me, we should get together and play a round on the course just of the M62 near Leeds

Sounds like you did the right thing getting fitted and the DI11's have been getting rave reviews on these very forums

Oh someone just down the road from me, we should get together and play a round on the course just of the M62 near Leeds

Sounds like you did the right thing getting fitted and the DI11's have been getting rave reviews on these very forums

I need to get more comfortable playing on a course that's not half-deserted!! As I've been a bit wayward with shots, I've been playing at times when our club course is quiet so I don't have to worry about hitting anyone. :bashful:

Yeah, getting fitted became a no-brainer once I realised it was possible and I read up on it. I tend to research things if I'm spending a decent amount of money and looked at all sets of irons up to £450. I liked the look of the Di11's and all of the reviews were very positive, but the thing that swung it was the in-depth reports done by the guys on here. Having that amount of information and positive reviews from people who were unbiased (or even potentially biased towards other manufacturers) was great to sift through. I gave them a go and liked them, so bought a set with the gap wedge and free 4h hybrid. Should arrive next week and I can't wait to get out range and the course to give them a try.

4 letters is all you need - FORE ;P

Last week out, I had a disastrous start with a couple of lost balls and finished the front 9 with 58.
I recovered and made a 47 on the back to finish at 105, just a stroke more than my best on the course. But, this is the first time I am breaking 50 on either the front or the back. If this holds I think I can break 100 in a few weeks time.

Hey fellers. I too am a member of this club. I've played off and on for years and used to score in the 90's on a semi regular basis. However, since I started playing again regularly last summer I haven't come close. It seems like all I've been doing is putting out fires. First it was my driving. Either I would slice it two fairways over, or just completly top it. I don't have to tell you how demoralizing starting every hole a stroke down can be. It's great to feel like a beginner again and try to remember those old swing thoughts that used to work. Finally I've managed to get my driving under enough control that the sight of the tee box doesn't make me crap my pants.
Lately it's been my short game that's done me in. I shot a 104 today with 7 three putts and a delightful blow up hole on the 17th that would ensure I remain well over 100 for the forseeable future. My putting is usually the least terrible part of my game but today it really gave it to me. I hit 5 greens in reg today and couldn't convert one of them to par. That's infuriating.
My long game was okay. The "keeping your head down" tip mentioned earlier has been the one swing thought over the years that has always helped me. Today that was the only thing I thought about. It even helps with my putting when I remember to do it. The bottom line is that this is a really hard game, but still worth playing somehow. Today as I was walking to the next hole I was reflecting on the fact that I have a few other interests that give me some satisfaction, but none that give me the sense of elation, the sense of sublime euphoria that a well executed shot gives me. I don't often get that feeling, but when I do it's exhilarating. Even shooting over 100 can be fun if you let it.

I played 2 days in a row, first time for me, 103 and 108. I am now loosing strokes around the greens, I spent a lot time in the bunkers today. I dropped at least 10 strokes in the bunkers, including 5 extra strokes trying to get out of the bunkers.

Time to work on 100 yards and in.

I started playing golf 13 months ago at the age of 32. i got the bug bad and play almost every weekend 18-36 holes. During the week i practice my irons on my net at home.

I broke 100 about 7 months into playing... right now im shooting mid to low 90's and even broke 90 twice 2 weeks ago....

For me breaking 100 happened when:

1. Stopping trying to play with the driver--- used a 3 Hybrid--- and now moved up to a 5 wood.
More consistent on the fairway... 180-200 yds with the 3h. No wasted shots getting out of the woods/rough.
On long par 5s... i used the 3H for my second show whenever over 180+...nice and easy.

2. Stopped thinking about the score--- I never checked to see what i hit the front 9.... i just play..-

3. Bunkers--- took lessons-- learned how to get out of them... feel very confident on bunkers near the green.. no fear...

4. Wedges,---- added a Gap Wedge/50 wedge that helped from 60-90 yards... some days i will only practice with the wedges...

5. Have an open mind----- listen and take advice.. try new things... different clubs--setups..etc. I know it sucks having to hear everyone's solution to your golf swing/game... but try some of their tips... try new clubs...

Just some thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back