3-Hybrid vs 5-Wood?

zsmithku

ReadtheRulesShankapotomus
Reaction score
Hey,

I am in the process of researching and hitting an array of woods to replace my '07 Callaway Big Berthas. Right now, and for years, I have played with a 3 and 5 wood, but just recently added a 4-hybrid to my bag and love the control and ball flight. I am wondering what the pros/cons of possibly doing away with the 5-wood and just investing in a new 3-wood and 3-hybrid?

Feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I'd say it would be a mix of personal preference, along with swing plane.

If you are a "sweeper" with a large flat spot at the bottom of your swing, then the 5-wood would be a good choice.

If you are a person with a steeper angle of approach, hybrids tend to flight better.

It really all depends on what you hit the best, and what suits up for you. I dislike fairway woods, and only hit them off the tee. If I need to hit it 250 from the fairway, smoke a hybrid.

I replace my 3-iron for a 3-hybrid. In my case my 3 hybrid gives me the same distance as the 5-wood, so I took out my 5 wood out my bag. The advantage I get is that, I can use my hybrid form the rough and bad lies. I could never hit my 5 wood in those cases.

if you're looking to replace a 5 wood then i'd recommend looking at a hybrid that's 17, 18, 19 degrees in loft as opposed to a 3-hybrid, which is going to be somewhere around 21 degrees.

i don't have a 5 wood but have a 18* hybrid and go from there to a 21* hybrid, that setup just helps with yardage gaps better for me.

Thanks for the replies.

I find myself rarely using my 5 wood, and only from the rough or long par-3s. Ever since buying and using a hybrid I get great distance and great control. I think I'll try to get an 18 degree hybrid and just find a new 3 wood.

Thanks again for the comments.

well, keep us posted on whatever route you decide to take.

Re: 3-Hybrid vs 5-Wood?

I used to carry the 3 and 5 wood setup until recently. I switched my 3 and 4 irons out for hybrids because they're easier to get consistent results and hit off the deck. Then I noticed how much use my 15* 3 wood and 19* 5 woods got, so I switched to a 17* 3 wood. I don't mind a larger yardage gap in my long game because I have no trouble getting the ball off the tee. I needed more wedge choices for finesse within 150yds so this helped open a spot in my bag.

As tcalloway said, don't expect the 3 hybrid to exactly replace the 5 wood. Even though they have a similar loft angle, the fairway wood will send the ball farther due to having more mass behind the ball.

I also got rid of my 5 wood, replacing with a 19* burner hybrid. Honda hit the nail with his correlation of a shallow vs steeper swing. I have a pretty steep swing and love the hybrid, plus the smaller diameter head makes it easier to hit from the rough.

Also, from what I understand the length of the shaft in the 5 wood (5 wood being longer than an 18 degree hybrid) will make it kick different which translates differently for ball flight even though both clubs would have a very similar loft. With that different kickpoint I would wonder if I might have trouble getting any height on the ball...? Does that sound correct, or am I off base?

I don't know much about kick points, but you should see about the same difference in hieght from three wood to five wood as from driver to 3 wood I'd guess. However, the hybrids I've hit have all had higher ball flights than a stock five wood. I think thats from the shorter steeper swing and the low center of gravity, just my guess.

You know, the best thing you could do is hit on a monitor and see what results you get. If unsure, write them down and ask Andy here on the Pro section, he's great. Really knows his stuff.

I carry a 3h and a 5w. I'm going to bag my 3w in favor of a 4h. My 3w and 3h are comparable in terms of distance but the 3h gives me better control so I'm adding a 4h to the mix as well.

I went to my local shop today and hit several different 5 woods and several matching hyrid lofts to compare. I am much more consistant with the hybrid and the differance in distance was not enough of a factor to change. So I ended up buying a Mizuno MX-700 3 wood to replace my Callaway and ordered a Cobra Baffler TWS 18 degree to replace my Callaway 5 wood. We'll see how it turns out on the course. All else fails and I'll go buy a 5 wood again, no big deal. Thanks again for the responses.

if you're looking to replace a 5 wood then i'd recommend looking at a hybrid that's 17, 18, 19 degrees in loft as opposed to a 3-hybrid, which is going to be somewhere around 21 degrees.

i don't have a 5 wood but have a 18* hybrid and go from there to a 21* hybrid, that setup just helps with yardage gaps better for me.

I have a 3 hybrid that's 19*......? am i reading that wrong?

anyway angle of attack is a good comment earlier......whatever works for you is the right choice

Cobra Hybrids

Cobra Hybrids

The Cobra Baffler 18 degree (2I) he purchased is similar to a 5 - wood.
I have one of these and love it!

I have the 1I = 16 degrees, 2I = 18 degrees, & 3I = 20 degrees for the Cobras.

The Cobra Baffler 18 degree (2I) he purchased is similar to a 5 - wood.
I have one of these and love it!

I have the 1I = 16 degrees, 2I = 18 degrees, & 3I = 20 degrees for the Cobras.

gray-are you more consistent with the 1I than a 3w? what benefits do you see with that set up? i'm curious about this and am seriously considering this route.

I carry a 18 degree 5 wood and a 20 degree 3 hybrid. For me it gives me the best distance gap.

1I Hybrid for me

1I Hybrid for me

gray-are you more consistent with the 1I than a 3w? what benefits do you see with that set up? i'm curious about this and am seriously considering this route.

No doubt about it! I am more consistant and more solid on my ball striking with the 16 degree baffler. Works for me like a charm. I do not carry a 3-wood any longer. I played an S9 3-wood for a couple of weeks but was not near as consistant with it as the 1 iron Baffler 16 degree.

It just balls down to what is your comfort zone when the pressure is on to make a consistant and solid contact swing. The Hybrid works best for me.

you will love the 3 wood. works great from fairway as well

i had a 5 wood on my first set of clubs, but ditched it and used a 3 iron hybrid which matched my irons for a bit before replacing it with a rescue.

5W or 3H?

5W or 3H?

It's my understanding that the 5W traditionally replaces the 3iron and I am using one now that is 18*, However, I also have a 19* 3hybrid that I havent really used. This week I hope to compare then a little but wanted to see what you guys prefer, do you prefer a 3Hyrbid or a 5Wood?

They dont equate to the same terms in distance. They will be roughly 15 yards apart thanks to the length of shaft when both struck correctly (I would expect).

Hit them both on a launch monitor and let the numbers determine what you need and why you need it.

Merged with another thread.

It's my understanding that the 5W traditionally replaces the 3iron and I am using one now that is 18*, However, I also have a 19* 3hybrid that I havent really used. This week I hope to compare then a little but wanted to see what you guys prefer, do you prefer a 3Hyrbid or a 5Wood?

Personally, I carry a 3H over a 5W. I do this for a couple of different reasons; I have a TaylorMade Rescue Mid (2007ish) that I absolutley love and can hit around 215-220 yards, as well as it being forgiving. Anything longer from that I am hitting my 3 Wood. Anything less than that, I am hitting irons.

I am the type of player that prefers to hit long irons over fairway woods, have been that way forever.

just to throw a wrench into the whole process....how about a 4w? or a cut down 3w like yours truly?

just to throw a wrench into the whole process....how about a 4w? or a cut down 3w like yours truly?

That's what I've done - 910Fd 15* set to 16.5*, then from there I go to my 3hybrid.

This set up gives me more options at the other end of the bag, so I now have 4 wedges for the first time in about 5 or 6 years.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-36.791834,174.711874
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back