Callaway Razr X Irons - All Lines

I traded my TM R9 irons for the Callaway RAZRX irons (5-pw). I played with them yesterday without going to the range but it feels like I was using the irons for months. I really liked the compact head, feel, playability and forgiveness. I only had one misshit into a swirling wind with a 5 iron and I started swearing without looking where the ball went because I felt I hit the ball thin. I was surprise when the guy I was playing with said nice shot! When I looked I still hit the ball about 180 yds. down the middle of the fairway for my layup shot on a par 5. Then I was able to hit the flag with a pitching wedge from about 110 out. I think this is the best irons I ever used hands down! It usually takes me awhile to get used to a set of irons but this set fits me perfectly. I was even able to make it out of a fairway bunker with a 5 iron!

Yes since I allready have X20's I wanted to try the Razr irons out. Familiar with how they feel and so on. I have had Ping irons in the past and want to give them a try. I have hit Clevleand, Titleist, Cobra, I15's indoor as well and none of them appeared at first glance to be any better or worse than what I have.

I have the X-20's as well, so I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say about them. I'm hoping to take the Razrs out for a test drive soon myself, but haven't been able to as of yet (stupid snow...).

Thats great to hear DoubleBogey. Please keep us updated on your progress with them! They do have such a great look at address!

I traded my TM R9 irons for the Callaway RAZRX irons (5-pw). I played with them yesterday without going to the range but it feels like I was using the irons for months. I really liked the compact head, feel, playability and forgiveness. I only had one misshit into a swirling wind with a 5 iron and I started swearing without looking where the ball went because I felt I hit the ball thin. I was surprise when the guy I was playing with said nice shot! When I looked I still hit the ball about 180 yds. down the middle of the fairway for my layup shot on a par 5. Then I was able to hit the flag with a pitching wedge from about 110 out. I think this is the best irons I ever used hands down! It usually takes me awhile to get used to a set of irons but this set fits me perfectly. I was even able to make it out of a fairway bunker with a 5 iron!

Wonder if anyone has opinion about which irons are better and why between Razor line, Titleist AP1/AP2 line and another that would compare.

I have looked at the AP1 710's and trying to see real difference between those and the previous years models of AP1 and then look at other lines.

I am 6'5", have 4 degree upright lies, 1-1.5" over standard length and converted to hybrids all way to GW 4 years ago. Gave up the 4 degree upright to just get easier to hit clubs. Worked and took me from 8 to 3-4 handicap (along with some swing changes). Just went to fitting day and found out why (in one guys opinion). Demo guy had me hit new 910H and 910 d2 and after dialing me in, had me try ap710's with the 105 titleist shaft (105 gram steel). The 1" long shafts had me hit every ball in same spot out on toe. He indicated that he thought that was due to a couple of things (I could benefit from about 1/4" longer shaft but as we age our hamstrings get tighter and come out of shots more. That was big factor of why I was hitting on toe and 1/4" more length would help. Hybrids I hit were helping me with giving more hitting area so hits on toes were not as impacted as they would be on smaller face irons that were less forgiving that I played 4 or so years ago.

Lots of info, I know. It makes it confusing and trying to go back to irons with big price tag makes me want to be sure I pick right ones. I hit the AP1 710's better then any iron I remember but price of pre owned 2009 AP1's confused me even more and if they are basically same as 710's I would get them. WE all have a limits on how much we can invest in technology each year and I am over mine (according to my wife) at this point.
Thanks for help.

Wonder if anyone has opinion about which irons are better and why between Razor line, Titleist AP1/AP2 line and another that would compare.

I have looked at the AP1 710's and trying to see real difference between those and the previous years models of AP1 and then look at other lines.

I am 6'5", have 4 degree upright lies, 1-1.5" over standard length and converted to hybrids all way to GW 4 years ago. Gave up the 4 degree upright to just get easier to hit clubs. Worked and took me from 8 to 3-4 handicap (along with some swing changes). Just went to fitting day and found out why (in one guys opinion). Demo guy had me hit new 910H and 910 d2 and after dialing me in, had me try ap710's with the 105 titleist shaft (105 gram steel). The 1" long shafts had me hit every ball in same spot out on toe. He indicated that he thought that was due to a couple of things (I could benefit from about 1/4" longer shaft but as we age our hamstrings get tighter and come out of shots more. That was big factor of why I was hitting on toe and 1/4" more length would help. Hybrids I hit were helping me with giving more hitting area so hits on toes were not as impacted as they would be on smaller face irons that were less forgiving that I played 4 or so years ago.

Lots of info, I know. It makes it confusing and trying to go back to irons with big price tag makes me want to be sure I pick right ones. I hit the AP1 710's better then any iron I remember but price of pre owned 2009 AP1's confused me even more and if they are basically same as 710's I would get them. WE all have a limits on how much we can invest in technology each year and I am over mine (according to my wife) at this point.
Thanks for help.

I'm confused. Are you wanting information on the Razr line or the AP1's?

I tried both AP1/AP2 before going with the Razr X(5-PW). I was more consistant with the Razr's and they had a more smooth effortless feel to them. I hit them about a club length further as well. It sounds like your questions is more towards the Titlest line in general than wondering about the Callaway clubs though. I never tried anyting other than the AP1/2 line so I have nothing to add there. I just didn't like the feel off the club head with the Titleist lines.

AP1's

AP1's

I had two questions I guess - options for AP1's compared to AP1 710's and then how they compare to the razors. I am torn between AP1 versions and then if there are others that are of better value and price out there ie razors or others.

You will find a lot of information on the AP1s in the review on the home page as well as the AP1 thread.

I had two questions I guess - options for AP1's compared to AP1 710's and then how they compare to the razors. I am torn between AP1 versions and then if there are others that are of better value and price out there ie razors or others.

Got ya. To be honest, it's been so long since I hit the ap1 and the 710 that it's tough to remember. I liked the nippon shaft in them but they were shorter than the other clubs I tested. I've only hit the razr's inside though so I can't really comment. I will be ordering the razr x tours for the Morgan Cup though.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Just returned from a golf trip in which I played 5 rounds with my new Razr x irons. I have regular flex stock graphite shafts in 4-pw,gw,sw. Here is some of my thoughts on them.

Distance... They are a club or a club and 1/2 longer than older x series irons maybe a shade shorter the Burner 2.0.
Ball flight... I was a little worried that they would hit too high and balloon ..not the case at all. Nice mid ball flight the cuts though the wind and we played in a lot of wind.
Playability... Great soles ..the 2 tiered sole play much thinner than other game improvement irons play well off of all lies. You can work these a little left and right , knockdowns were possible as well. Surprising was the sand wedge out of sand or tie lies ..great.
Forgiveness ... very forgiving, more so than the older x series and Burner 2.0`s for comparison. I hit some of my best long and mid irons in years.
Feel & Sound ... Nice feel for a cast iron but not forged either.
Accuracy...These is where these irons shine. Point and shoot at the pins and ... brought some big smiles to my face.. but not so much for my playing partners
Overall... They are a high performance game improvement iron ..extremely happy with them , highly recommend these.
L57

Last edited:
I took a look at the Razr X and Razr Tours today at golf galaxy. The tours sure are sharp looking. I'm looking forward to hitting both.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

I really like the looks of the razr

I've got a bunch of rounds and range time in on my Razr Xs now (9 hc). I've got 4-AW, standard set (not tours), upgraded s300 shafts. They are very forgiving, especially on shots low off the face like a lot of us miss. The ball still gets up. Off the sweet spot, they just go and go. Misses on the toe side seem to hold their line quite well, but IMO the heel shot is where their forgiveness really goes down.

Even with the s300s, they shoot the ball really high..... my three shots with these are very high (off left heel), kind of high (mid stance), and mid/high (near back heel). I love a high ball flight, so that's fine with me. Dispersion with these is great. My biggest beef with distance oriented irons is the fact that they're so hot in the sweet spot that I end up with a 15-20 question mark of where I'm gonna hit it. With the Razrs, I hit my 175 yard club 170 to about 178 time and time again.

Looks wise, they're fine to me. I have no issue with GI clubs and the badging really isn't bad. The soles are thin, much like the FT fusion irons. The toplines are a little chunky, and callaway's chrome shows hairline scratches just like always :)

In all, they're staying in my bag for a long while. I demoed TM's whole new line of irons.... burners weren't even close to razrs. The others were nice but not close to the same league

I just noticed on the Callaway website that the RAZR X Muscleback irons will go on sale retail on May 1. I loved the feel and look of the Proto's and wished I bought a set but I didn't and I actually love the look and graphics of the RAZR line. I know at first a lot of people hated the RAZR name and look but I think for some reason the graphics are sharp and I like the name. Don't ask me why.

Has anyone or does anyone play the Proto's? Give me your thoughts. I like the idea the sole looks a little bigger and the bounce is a little more compared to my Titleist MB's which I would prefer do to the fact I play on courses especially this time of year that are soft. I am not a digger or sweeper but do hit down on the ball and take a small divot.

Any opinions would be great.

Got a chance to hit these again at a local demo day this weekend, it was about 40 and raining but I had just had some success demoing another set of irons so I wanted to see what these looked like out on the range. The Callaway rep set me up with a +1/2 shaft (was fit for 1" earlier but it was in use) and 2 degree's upright and away I went. First thing i noticed was that my ball striking was all over the place on these irons that day, first couple were off the toe, next couple closer to the heel. The few that I did hit pure felt very good and flew just as far as I would expect, but any ball not well struck just plain hurt. I'm sure the cold weather had a lot to do with it but my right finger and thumb were numb after a few badly struck shots with this club. Again I had been hitting another iron just before this one and didn't notice the same harsh feel with a badly struck shot so I do believe this was the feedback from the club. These clubs aren't off my list yet but they were knocked down a couple of notches after Saturday.

Callaway was at the course today for s demo day. I hit all the irons and really liked the forged. Very nice club. Buttery feeling on solid hits with nice ball flight. I liked them very much

nice! I need to find a Callaway outdoor demo day around here at some point.

Anyone have any more feedback concerning the Forged offering?

Anyone have any more feedback concerning the Forged offering?

Anyone? I've had experience with Callaway's 07 & 09 X forged offerings and I'm wondering if anyone else that has, has hit these. What the differences, pros/cons may be.

Anyone? I've had experience with Callaway's 07 & 09 X forged offerings and I'm wondering if anyone else that has, has hit these. What the differences, pros/cons may be.

I've had experience with the 09 line and played on Wednesday with the head pros new RAZR X Forged. Overall I really like the new forged irons. The weighting on the RAZR X forged felt great, it dropped my ball flight down which was great!! Forgiveness.......kind of. Personally I've had the chance to play both the RAZR X Forged and RAZR X Tour, I myself would go with the tours. I could still work the ball both ways and mishit feedback was great. That's my $.02. Happy hunting, choosing irons is always a tough decision!!

I've had experience with the 09 line and played on Wednesday with the head pros new RAZR X Forged. Overall I really like the new forged irons. The weighting on the RAZR X forged felt great, it dropped my ball flight down which was great!! Forgiveness.......kind of. Personally I've had the chance to play both the RAZR X Forged and RAZR X Tour, I myself would go with the tours. I could still work the ball both ways and mishit feedback was great. That's my $.02. Happy hunting, choosing irons is always a tough decision!!

Thanks brother, i appreciate the feedback. It's going to be very tough for me to find a demo of the forged version hit. I've been asking all over the place but my chances don't look so good.

Hey man, Ill give you some perspective but obviously we don't have the same skillset.

I've hit the 07 forged with PX shafts alot actually. They were of the 5.5 variety and I hit these pretty well. Not very forgiving but they felt pretty soft off the face and launched more mid/high trajectory for me. I don't know if you remembered when I hit a good shot with CG7's but I was finding a similar flight just a little higher. The different combos of shafts and clubheads probably contributed to that. Didn't do any monitor comparisons. But the 07 model (smaller graphic) was one I hit everytime I was at PGA for a period of a month or two.

I don't try and compare this category of players club really because it gets hard when you have to be that precise but if you've hit the VR line from Nike, I thought the Xs were easier to hit in the sense they felt/sounded better on mishits.

I've hit the Razr X forged a bit and felt the same about them as the 07 forged. I havent done any head to head but the from what I can recall of the 07, the Razr seems a bit crisper feeling/sounding. Which is something I'm noticing from the line in general. I haven't seen much in the way of ballflight though. Sorry buddy. They still feel easier to hit than others in this category but you have to be on point. Which I really think you are.

Cons.. Obviously the forgiveness. I'd love to see this outside so I could give better feedback. Hopefully it helps a little bit. I'm not a guy who thinks I should game these but I don't think they should be discounted from players who have the ability to hit them.

No problem man, sometimes I think you lefties really get the shaft when it comes to equipment. It just ain't right!

Thanks guys. One thing about the Razr X forged that gets overlooked is that they are indeed a cavity backed iron. I am sure that they aren't as forgiving as the Razr X's but I'm also assuming that there is some level of forgiveness just due to the extra mass. I use to own the 07' X forged irons and liked them quite a bit.

It would be nice that these be more available to lefties and I do believe that that will be changing in the future, as I believe there are just more and more lefties in the golf market.

Don't worry Yoccos, i'll be making tons of guys hit these at the outing.

Back