RatFink's search for shoes: complete?

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I went back to golftown today armed with a few reviews that I've read here, and elsewhere on the internet determined to walk out with a pair of shoes.

My #1 choice was the Nike Lunars. Awesome looking shoe, and nothing but positive reviews.

I tried on 9.5M and 9.5W, and my god those soles were just as comfortable as any runner I've ever put on.
Now the bad news: The leather up top on the M was too tight and squished my foot an easy half inch laterally. Also there was this on the inside of each shoe by the ball of my foot:
LunarCrease.jpg

It doesn't look that deep in the picture, but it was actually really quite deep, and it was significant enough for me to feel the pinch on the inside of my foot, but also raise concerns about the leather wearing in that area and then cracking/holing. The salesman was also very up front about how Nike shoes seem to have fallen away in quality compared to the FootJoys and Adidas.

Then I tried the Adidas Powerband 3.0s.
They didn't work.
They were just hard, and slidey on the inside... no go for me.

Next up were the Adidas Tour 360 4.0.
These look funky as can be from the top with their curved top line and lace pattern. BUT, the tops of these shoes fit beautifully. The top of my foot feels hugged and loved compared to the Lunars.
The soles aren't as comfy as the Lunars though. A bit harder, and I could almost feel each cleat individually on my foot. The salesman was surprised as can be that I wasn't immediately in love with them, but said that the foam would take a little bit to conform properly. So I walked around the store for about 20 minutes in them and they did start to come in.

Ultimately, I left with the Tour 360s with the goal of wearing them around the house for awhile to see if the foam comes in even more.

If they could transplant the sole of the Lunars to the leather of the Tour 360s, I'd be in heaven, but I think the Tour 360s were the best compromise.

On a side note of the adidas foot wear line. I found that both the Powerbands and the Tour 360s seemed to make me walk outside-in. As in, when I place my heel on the ground, my foot will roll to the outside, and then come across in a diagonal to the ball of my foot. Not so with the lunars.
Anyone else experience this?

I think I know what you're talking about with the rolling. My 360 sports do something similar. The foam will come in nicely, best sole I've ever felt that wasn't a new balance.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Nice snag Fink. Let us know how they are after a few rounds of walking, I love these shoes and am looking into them as well.

I have 3 pairs now and love them each time.

Both actually.

I would love to have walked out with both of them.
Which do you find you keep going back to most, and why if you could elaborate please?

I would love to have walked out with both of them.
Which do you find you keep going back to most, and why if you could elaborate please?

Right now the top of my shoe heap is filled with two types of shoes.

adidas Golf AdiPure (Z or regular)
Nike Lunar Control

Right below that
adidas Golf Powerband 3.0
adidas Golf Tour 360 4.0

From there we have quite a few others
PUMA Cell Tech
ECCO Biom
FJ Dry Joy
FJ ICON
and many many many more.

Below that we have some shoes that I cannot stand. Wont list them because its not worth it.

For sole fit and comfort, nothing beats the adiPure to me with the 4.0s and the Powerbands and Lunars right behind it. I find the three of them together offer similar comfort in the sole. I put the Lunars slightly ahead of those because I find they feel slightly lighter on my feet based on weight dispersion.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the 4 I listed in my opinion and it comes down to personal comfort and price.

Right now the top of my shoe heap is filled with two types of shoes.

adidas Golf AdiPure (Z or regular)
Nike Lunar Control

Right below that
adidas Golf Powerband 3.0
adidas Golf Tour 360 4.0

From there we have quite a few others
PUMA Cell Tech
ECCO Biom
FJ Dry Joy
FJ ICON
and many many many more.

Below that we have some shoes that I cannot stand. Wont list them because its not worth it.

For sole fit and comfort, nothing beats the adiPure to me with the 4.0s and the Powerbands and Lunars right behind it. I find the three of them together offer similar comfort in the sole. I put the Lunars slightly ahead of those because I find they feel slightly lighter on my feet based on weight dispersion.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the 4 I listed in my opinion and it comes down to personal comfort and price.

Great, thanks!
I love the looks of the adiPures, but at $300, they weren't in contention.
The 4.0s were $20 more than the lunars, but I guess still in the same price category.

Not really, its kind of creepy. :alien:

:laughing: you will never know how much I needed that laugh today.

I think you will like them. I had the concern on the sole insert with both pairs of my Adidas when I bought them but they do mold to your foot fairly quickly. If you go to the putting green and the range, you should be good by the time you are done.

I recently purchased a pair of the Ecco Streets (not Street Premieres). Man are they comfortable and light. Best golf shoes I ever had.

+1 on the Adipure's. I used to be a Nike shoe guy, went with the Adipure's based off various THPer reviews. They did not let me down, very sweet shoe. The foam fit my foot after a brief warmup on the putting green. We have hardwood floors, so my wife wasnt fond of me wearing them around the house to wear them in.

Back