Confrontation on the course!

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
My family and I are down at the beach this weekend for Easter. So we thought for some fun, we would go play golf at the local course. The players were my dad, mom, myself and my grandma was driving my cart. The course was beautiful and in great shape. I was thoroughly enjoying my round up until the 18th hole.

We tee off on the 18th hole and have a group finishing the 17th hole behind us. This is the first time we have seen this group behind us all day. We drive to our tee shots and get ready to hit. By this time the group behind us has made their way onto the tee box. My dad and I hit our shots pretty quickly and wait for my mom to line hers up. My mom is a beginning golfer and sometimes whiffs the ball. She walks up to the ball and takes a swing. Whiff! Takes another swing. Whiff! So she backs off and calms down then walks back up to address her ball. Whiff!

All of the sudden, we here a sharp whistle from the tee box. My mom and I turn to look and the guys on the tee box are yelling at us to hurry up and "get the hell out of the way". That's some serious golf etiquette right there! Well my mom is really flustered by this and just picks the ball up. We go ahead and drive up to the green and putt out. (I made a bogey.) While we are on the green we look back and watch the guys hit their shots. First guys sets up....duff right into the water. Second guy sets up....duff right into the water.

So we drive off the 18th and go to return the carts. We tell the starter who is sitting there that the guys were very rude to us and we really didn't appreciate how they acted towards us. He says, "Sorry, but its not my job to tell them how to behave." :bulgy-eyes:

Ok.....

Well we shrug it off and go load up our car and get ready to leave. Right as we are about to leave we see the 2some behind us drive up and park next to the starter. They both get out and start laughing and being all chummy with the starter. Well, my mom was pissed at this. We get out of the car and walk up to the 2 guys. My dad and I both follow.

Mom gets up to the guy who whistled and says, "Why did you whistle at me? I'm a beginning golfer and that was the 18th hole." Guy responds, "Well its just golf etiquette that I'm letting you know to hurry up." Guy #2 chimes in with "Plus you swung at the ball 3 times. That's enough. Not our fault that you can't hit it."

Well a few more choice words were exchanged and the starter sat there in his cart looking like a sheep. We later find out that these guys are actually members at this course (public).

My dad calls back to the pro shop once we get home and says how upset we were and demands our money back. The guy says he can't do anything and will have the general manager call him back. About 15 minutes later, my dad gets a call from the GM who apologizes and gives us 3 free rounds of golf.

I haven't ever experienced something like this. Pretty crazy huh?

Also, I thought I had a cool comeback to the guy....
"So after hitting your approach shot in the water, where are you on the tour now?"

:D

Stories like this make me so mad. Those guys are jerks and it seemed you were keeping up with the pace of play. I would have had a little more to say to them. I hate how the course just favours members when they are in the wrong.

I despise ppl like that and starters/rangers that sit by with their thumbs up they're rears...but don't dare drive by them without giving them your receipt.

He can keep his 3 rounds.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Thats just rude, i can understand somebody getting frustrated/mad if they were behind a beginner the whole entire round and they never let them play through but on the last freaking hole is just ridiculous.

I work at my home course and I've pretty much seen it all and heard it all over the years. I always say that golf is a honorable game played by many less than honorable people. I would have just shrugged it off and went home. Why let the assclowns ruin your day? You did the right thing by speaking to the starter. Outside of that, I would never recommend direct confrontation. I'll offer no opinion on getting your green fee refunded.

I would just remember the day for the fun you had and remember the course the next time you go play. There is a course within 15 miles of me that I never play because it has a reputation for trouble and the owner is part of the problem. There are other courses.

Stories like this make me so mad. Those guys are jerks and it seemed you were keeping up with the pace of play. I would have had a little more to say to them. I hate how the course just favours members when they are in the wrong.

We finished the round in just over 4.5 hours. We let 1 group play through and even stopped for 20 mins for lunch.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

You are a better man than Me, I probably would have Smacked the 3 of them because none where men when they chose to disrespect a women. Enjoy your 3 rounds. Tell your Mom real golfers would never do that . Hav e a blessed Easter.

"It's just golf etiquette"...

Umm hypocrisy in the highest form?
Sure, there are times when it may be appropriate to pick up your ball, but if these guys JUST came onto your 6 and started hooting and hollering, they should go stuff it somewhere.

We finished the round in just over 4.5 hours. We let 1 group play through and even stopped for 20 mins for lunch.

ya you guys did nothing wrong, they were just a**holes

Oh what beer does to a middle aged man at a dead end job...

You are a better man than Me, I probably would have Smacked the 3 of them because none where men when they chose to disrespect a women. Enjoy your 3 rounds. Tell your Mom real golfers would never do that . Hav e a blessed Easter.

Now there's a contradiction.

I will say that this was one of the top 2 courses I have ever played. I was in gorgeous shape with carpet like fairways.

jef, could I just ask the city in Florida, I really don't want the course name, I hope it is not one of the cities I visit fairly regularly.

That is a shame that 17 fun holes gets ruined on the 18th. The courses really need to do a better job when it comes to this kind of thing. Those 3 free rounds would never be used by me.

C'mon man...and the 18th hole to boot? "It's just golf etiquette?" Really? What idiots. I feel bad for you and your entire family, especially your mother. I hope this doesn't sour her on the game. It's people like that...

jef, could I just ask the city in Florida, I really don't want the course name, I hope it is not one of the cities I visit fairly regularly.

Not florida. Its at oak island in nc.

Not florida. Its at oak island in nc.

Got a feeling I know which course now, I have a place down there. Get over to Brunswick plantation if you can.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Really a shame. Honor, dignity, and class are all dying traits sad to say. Glad you kept your cool. They're so obviously not worth getting too excited about. The starter, too... what a complete jerk.

I would have turned around and launched the ball at the tee box. But I wouldn't recommend this unless you prepared for the repercussions. :)

If your old man got the GM to give up some free rounds, the GM will take it from there. My experience with the "Rangers" has been similar. Especially if playing a new or different course where they don't recognize me as a steady patron. Seems kinda backwards but rangers are pretty much useless. Use the free rounds and know you got some good cheap golf there. I play rounds with my mom when I can and it is different for sure. I can't imagine what kinda clown whistles or heckles a family though. sad...Probably feels like a badass in the clubhouse too.

Even if you were not keeping up there is no excuse for that kind of behavior, it is not proper golf etiquette to whistle loud or yell at somebody if you think they are going too slow. You tell the marshall to ask them to move along or you ask them if you can play through when you catch them at the next tee box. I would say though that it isn't proper either to have any player who can't at least hit the ball playing on any golf course, it isn't fair to your mother or to the others on the golf course at the time. Still that is no reason for this behavior on their part. Next time I would suggest that you just have your mother tee off at the 150 yard mark on every hole and yes probably a 3 strikes and your out rule is a good one to follow.

Even if you were not keeping up there is no excuse for that kind of behavior, it is not proper golf etiquette to whistle loud or yell at somebody if you think they are going too slow. You tell the marshall to ask them to move along or you ask them if you can play through when you catch them at the next tee box. I would say though that it isn't proper either to have any player who can't at least hit the ball playing on any golf course, it isn't fair to your mother or to the others on the golf course at the time. Still that is no reason for this behavior on their part. Next time I would suggest that you just have your mother tee off at the 150 yard mark on every hole and yes probably a 3 strikes and your out rule is a good one to follow.

How would you ever learn to play the game if you do that, i totally disagree with this, if every beginner cant actually play the game like its intended then thats not right

How would you ever learn to play the game if you do that, i totally disagree with this, if every beginner cant actually play the game like its intended then thats not right

Learn to hit the ball at the driving range that is what a range is for. A certain level of proficiency is just good courtesy. You can't learn to hit the ball on the golf course, there are too many variables. Once you have a swing that works some then head to the golf course, until then stick to the range.

Learn to hit the ball at the driving range that is what a range is for. A certain level of proficiency is just good courtesy. You can't learn to hit the ball on the golf course, there are too many variables. Once you have a swing that works some then head to the golf course, until then stick to the range.

yes the range is for practice but its not the only place for beginners, these guys were just Aholes, as long as beginners let people play through IF they are holding somebody up it shouldnt matter if they are on course, in this case it was the last hole and they werent behind them the hole round, shouldnt of mattered they had to wait a few extra minutes on the tee box

Back