TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

R11 T3

I played some golf this weekend and used the T3 from the tee box a few times. I was hitting some great shots that were going fairly high and straight or with a very small draw. If I need to find the fairway I know I can pull the T3 out and swing away. I still need to work on my fairway wood shots from the turf. I either hit it really well or chunk it pretty bad. I hit the T3 pretty good on the range from the grass, but something just isn't always clicking on the course. I think I may be over swinging and will work on it some more this week.

I had my wife with me and she took a video of my tee shot on the par 4 17th. I love the sound the T3 makes on a well struck shot.
I love that sound!

R11 T3

I played some golf this weekend and used the T3 from the tee box a few times. I was hitting some great shots that were going fairly high and straight or with a very small draw. If I need to find the fairway I know I can pull the T3 out and swing away. I still need to work on my fairway wood shots from the turf. I either hit it really well or chunk it pretty bad. I hit the T3 pretty good on the range from the grass, but something just isn't always clicking on the course. I think I may be over swinging and will work on it some more this week.

I had my wife with me and she took a video of my tee shot on the par 4 17th. I love the sound the T3 makes on a well struck shot.

Blam! Team Hackers FTW!

Super cool video DD! Thanks for sharing.

Great video DD ! I love the sound of both the R-11 Driver and the R-11 3 wood. Especially when hit from a tee box that is surrounded by trees so you get that reverb/rebound sound from them.

I hit the links again yesterday and was completely satisfied with both clubs. I did miss 4 fairways yesterday with the driver. 2 of the misses were due to being long par 5's that I really tried to crush, instead of letting the club do the work. When I do that, I usually lose it to the right....which I did.

I think I have converted a couple more guys over to the R-11 family. I hit a couple of long 3 woods with mine and impressed a twosome that was put with the wife and I. I let them both hit the 3 wood and they both loved it. The stiff shaft in mine was just right for one of the guys but the other thought he would be better with a regular.

Great video DD ! I love the sound of both the R-11 Driver and the R-11 3 wood. Especially when hit from a tee box that is surrounded by trees so you get that reverb/rebound sound from them.

I hit the links again yesterday and was completely satisfied with both clubs. I did miss 4 fairways yesterday with the driver. 2 of the misses were due to being long par 5's that I really tried to crush, instead of letting the club do the work. When I do that, I usually lose it to the right....which I did.

I think I have converted a couple more guys over to the R-11 family. I hit a couple of long 3 woods with mine and impressed a twosome that was put with the wife and I. I let them both hit the 3 wood and they both loved it. The stiff shaft in mine was just right for one of the guys but the other thought he would be better with a regular.

Man DD you have got to be kidding me! You are on fire so early in the season! I am not even going to be worthy of cleaning your shoes next time we play together! The R11 line up seriously great thought. I have still only hit my new T3 once, but off the bat it was super accurate! I am loving the idea that I can hit 3W again! I am really starting to get over some of my bad swing faults with my driver and I am seeing very consistent ball flights (for the most part)! Congrats again on the great score the other day! You are a beast!

Hi
Took my clubs out for the first course test yesterday. Strong winds in my face for the most part. I only missed the fairway twice with my driver. First shot heeled it for 200 and out of bounds, second mis was a toe for about 220. Everything else was straight down the pipe for about 250.

Fairway had one mis, but then I straightened it out. Loving it!

In strong winds I am thinking about taking my fct down so the ball does not fly so high. Anyone try this yet?

Hi
Took my clubs out for the first course test yesterday. Strong winds in my face for the most part. I only missed the fairway twice with my driver. First shot heeled it for 200 and out of bounds, second mis was a toe for about 220. Everything else was straight down the pipe for about 250.

In strong winds I am thinking about taking my fct down so the ball does not fly so high. Anyone try this yet?

I think it is a very good idea. I would do it, exept I already play with it as low as I can put it.

Hi

Just remember, changing anything on the club has to be done before you start your round if you are going to post it for a handicap.
When I'm playing into the wind, I will move the ball back a little in my stance to promote a lower ball flight.
I'm glad to hear you doing well with the sticks !

Man DD you have got to be kidding me! You are on fire so early in the season! I am not even going to be worthy of cleaning your shoes next time we play together! The R11 line up seriously great thought. I have still only hit my new T3 once, but off the bat it was super accurate! I am loving the idea that I can hit 3W again! I am really starting to get over some of my bad swing faults with my driver and I am seeing very consistent ball flights (for the most part)! Congrats again on the great score the other day! You are a beast!

Thanks Doc, but this game we love can be so humbling. Don't forget, 2 weeks ago I shot just over 90.

I have said it before and will keep saying it....these clubs are the best I have ever owned. I can tell in just the few rounds I have been able to play with them, that my handicap is going to go down. My goal this year was to get it down to a solid 3, but that was before getting all this new equipment. I'm still keeping the same goal, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get it down to the middle 2's by the end of this year.

I'm glad to hear about the confidence building in your 3 wood !

Thanks Doc, but this game we love can be so humbling. Don't forget, 2 weeks ago I shot just over 90.

I have said it before and will keep saying it....these clubs are the best I have ever owned. I can tell in just the few rounds I have been able to play with them, that my handicap is going to go down. My goal this year was to get it down to a solid 3, but that was before getting all this new equipment. I'm still keeping the same goal, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get it down to the middle 2's by the end of this year.

I'm glad to hear about the confidence building in your 3 wood !

I wish I could say that by the end of the year I will be at a 3! I will not be surprised when you get down to a 2 with you crushing the ball like you do, sending darts at the greens, and most importantly putting lights out like you do with that Spider!

I wish I could say that by the end of the year I will be at a 3! I will not be surprised when you get down to a 2 with you crushing the ball like you do, sending darts at the greens, and most importantly putting lights out like you do with that Spider!

Just wait till I post pics and reviews of the Ghost Spider, when it gets here !!
I am impatiently awaiting it's arrival in a couple of weeks.

Just wait till I post pics and reviews of the Ghost Spider, when it gets here !!
I am impatiently awaiting it's arrival in a couple of weeks.

I could not be more excited for you! There is pretty much no chance of me ever beating you with that putter in hand!

I could not be more excited for you! There is pretty much no chance of me ever beating you with that putter in hand!

Ohhhh....I wouldn't go that far. You are a lot better with the longer irons than I am.

I hope I am not repeating an earlier question - I don't think I remember seeing anything like this in the thread... Does anyone have a chart/graph/etc. of what each of the settings of the R11 gives in terms of face angle and playable/effective loft? For instance, if you had the 9 degree head, played it half a degree lower (to 8.5 and presumably slightly open), but put the ASP at closed, what would the effective loft be? Still 8.5? Would the face be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 degree closed?

I hope I am not repeating an earlier question - I don't think I remember seeing anything like this in the thread... Does anyone have a chart/graph/etc. of what each of the settings of the R11 gives in terms of face angle and playable/effective loft? For instance, if you had the 9 degree head, played it half a degree lower (to 8.5 and presumably slightly open), but put the ASP at closed, what would the effective loft be? Still 8.5? Would the face be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 degree closed?

man all of these numbers are making my head hurt. If you do get something, pass it along to me, as Id be interested in seeing the options visually

Anyone try moving the weights around with some succes? I have been drawing the ball a lot, i prefer the draw but it is a little too much for me so i replaced the 10g with a 6 and put a 4g in the toe, it the ASP automatically creating a draw bias?

yes it would still be 8.5 loft and around 1.5* closed in that setup.

In your senerio the loft would still be 8.5* (changing the ASP does not effect loft as per TaylorMade). Your face angle would be 1* closed (delofting the club by .5 will open the club face 1* and setting the ASP closed will close it 2*. So 1* - 2* = -1* or 1* closed.) Hope that helps!

In your senerio the loft would still be 8.5* (changing the ASP does not effect loft as per TaylorMade). Your face angle would be 1* closed (delofting the club by .5 will open the club face 1* and setting the ASP closed will close it 2*. So 1* - 2* = -1* or 1* closed.) Hope that helps!

That is a great, help - thanks! I was mistakenly thinking that a .5 loft adjustment was also a .5 face adjustment. With the .5 loft to 1.0 face ratio, the rest of the settings should be pretty easy to figure out...

After reading numerous reviews on the R11 line, it seems like, to me, that people have found more forgiveness and straighter shots from using a lower lofted head and adding a little loft, how many of you who use the driver/woods have found that too be true? Obviously if I go through a fitting I can find this answer fairly easily, but I was just curious what some of your experiences were with that. Thanks

So I just pulled out the instruction manual on the R11 and it does not give a specific amount that changing the FCT opens or closes the face. The ration of 2* open/closed for 1* lower/higher is what I remember them saying, however I cannot find anything on TMs website to back that up. So the answer is I believe it is as I said, but I cannot prove it. 10yarddraw may be correct as well, as he has proven himself to be extremely knowledgeable. Sorry to add confusion. I can say that it is no more than 1* and no less than .5* =)

lol thanks for correcting me on that, dont know what i was thinking, for some reason i was thinking it would only be open .5 instead of 1*, BRAIN FART lol

After reading numerous reviews on the R11 line, it seems like, to me, that people have found more forgiveness and straighter shots from using a lower lofted head and adding a little loft, how many of you who use the driver/woods have found that too be true? Obviously if I go through a fitting I can find this answer fairly easily, but I was just curious what some of your experiences were with that. Thanks

I cannot comment on that because I decreased my loft, however, the added forgiveness could be impart due to the fact that it closes the club face and therefore helps fight the dreaded slice.

I cannot comment on that because I decreased my loft, however, the added forgiveness could be impart due to the fact that it closes the club face and therefore helps fight the dreaded slice.

sounds like my kind of club, I'll definitely have to try it with the different settings tonight, since I have a pretty good idea thus far how I hit it as its already setup

Whoa...divide by 3, carry the 1, minus the circumference of the ball and divide by pii..... :banghead:

Back