Fresh Easter Ham - Going in the Smoker

updated first post with the final pics. I was really impressed. My first attempt at a fresh ham, and it was well worth it. The whole 10 lb ham was $22. A bargain in my opinion.

The meat had great smokey flavor - but it was unlike most hams in the fact it was juicy, and very tender. It didnt have the cured flavor most hams have though - being a fresh version - so it was more similiar to BBQ slow cooked pork.

The Brine/Cure penetrated about 3" total as shown by the enormous pink ring around the meat. A normal smoke ring is about 1/2 that and experience told me that was the meat curing and not a smoke ring.

Next time i will get an injection gun and inject the brine in the middle of the ham - and probably brine/cure it for a month - instead of the 7-9 days.

Kudos for the smoke/brine ring.
Did it taste like the leg of a god?

Last edited:
That looks great!!!

That looks awsome Matt. All we had was a Honey Baked ham, good, but I'm sure nothing compared to yours.

I got hungry when I read the title. Forget about opening it, wow, that turned out amazing.

I've heard great things about that smoker, sure wish it was in the budget. Thanks for making me hungry :D

Can you haul that thing down to Florida for the Morgan Cup?

I got hungry when I read the title. Forget about opening it, wow, that turned out amazing.

I've heard great things about that smoker, sure wish it was in the budget. Thanks for making me hungry :D

It turned out great CG, man you have made me hungry all over again! I love the big green egg grills, if I didn't already have 3 grills I would have one of these, they are the best.

That looks amazing! My mouth is watering, like every time I watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives... Air-mail me the leftovers!

Hehe this thing is def not Packable. I can do well with a little charcoal grill; well think of something for the Morgan cup.

Hehe this thing is def not Packable. I can do well with a little charcoal grill; well think of something for the Morgan cup.

Is this why you kept asking me about powerful laxatives last time we played? Making a team paradise special?

cooking on the best grill that money can buy!

My smoking skills are no where near where yours are. But I am very new to the smoking arena as the EGG is the first grill I have owned that is capable of such a thing.

I will also say that I am a moron and the last time I smoked something I forgot to put the plate setter in the grill.

Have you ever smoked any ribs in it? Have any tips for me to try?

and, what kind of lump charcoal do you use? I have used the BGE brand and it is good but a little pricey....cowboy seemed good when I used it and I liked the stuff I got at lowes as well.....the only other kind that I have used is something called KONA i think and its some hawiian wood and it has some really big chunks in the bag and I found l like it best for when I slow cook and use a big peice at the bottom to help with good aire flow.

Back