The Official 2011 NFL Draft Thread

I hope this would be the scenario for us Denver fans. Then we get pick of the litter for D or deal with someone who wants Gabbert (if they think he's going to Buffalo and AZ and TN would be prime candidates) and still get a top flight D prospect (hopefully Fairley and Peterson will still be there). If not then Dareus will be the pick. I have this strange feeling that they will be drafting a QB this year in the later rounds, probably deal Orton and see if Tebow sinks or swims.

That would be a bold move by Fox to come in and trade Orton. That would leave him with Tebow, Quinn, and a rookie that has never played.

If Denver doesn't take Dareus that would be a shock. I can't see anyone trading up to get Gabbert though....maybe Peterson, but not Gabbert. Unless people really think Gabbert is going to Buffalo but I'm not sure he will. Peterson could be like a mini-Deion with his ability to cover, run kicks/punts back and make plays

I hope this would be the scenario for us Denver fans. Then we get pick of the litter for D or deal with someone who wants Gabbert (if they think he's going to Buffalo and AZ and TN would be prime candidates) and still get a top flight D prospect (hopefully Fairley and Peterson will still be there). If not then Dareus will be the pick. I have this strange feeling that they will be drafting a QB this year in the later rounds, probably deal Orton and see if Tebow sinks or swims.

If Denver doesn't take Dareus that would be a shock. I can't see anyone trading up to get Gabbert though....maybe Peterson, but not Gabbert. Unless people really think Gabbert is going to Buffalo but I'm not sure he will. Peterson could be like a mini-Deion with his ability to cover, run kicks/punts back and make plays

I like Peterson and Julio Jones the most out of this years draft. I think they'll both be Pro Bowl level players at their positions.

Im actually starting to get excited for this now. I just hope JJ makes a smart move. Id even be ok with trading down a few spots.

Its rare for a DB (especially one of his size) to go that high. I dont see him going that early. Im not sure I get the Primetime comparison especially since many believe he is a Safety at the next level. I think he goes around 220 lbs.

That would be a bold move by Fox to come in and trade Orton. That would leave him with Tebow, Quinn, and a rookie that has never played.

Honestly, there's not much to lose. Trade Orton now while his value is higher than it's ever been (Minnesota seems to be always mentioned). Go with Tebow and see if he's the real thing. A one year job interview you can say. If he falls then the experiment didn't drag and they'll be in a position to draft Elway's boy from Stanford, Mr. Luck. If he steps up then they discover what they drafted him for.

I don't think many, including myself, are expecting much from them this year (not with that defense anyway) and one year is not going to fix all the issues that were going on. If 2011 ever happens I think it's more of a "let's find out what type of team we're gonna be" type year. They just have so many holes to fill and things that I'm sure Fox would want to mold more to his type team (like a 2 back power running game). The back half of the draft will be key with all the holes and will determine how fast they'll get back to winning.

I know and I don't understand why? FA CB's make crazy money if they're on the open market so I'm not sure why GM's think a CB can't be taken in the top 5 if they think he's that good. I'd be willing to bet most GM's have him in their top 5 but won't take him if they have another need.

he definitely is up there in weight and I didn't know he was being considered for a move to S. That could make sense though and if that's how GM's see him then he definitely won't be a top 5 pick.

Its rare for a DB (especially one of his size) to go that high. I dont see him going that early. Im not sure I get the Primetime comparison especially since many believe he is a Safety at the next level. I think he goes around 220 lbs.

I know and I don't understand why? FA CB's make crazy money if they're on the open market so I'm not sure why GM's think a CB can't be taken in the top 5 if they think he's that good. I'd be willing to bet most GM's have him in their top 5 but won't take him if they have another need.

he definitely is up there in weight and I didn't know he was being considered for a move to S. That could make sense though and if that's how GM's see him then he definitely won't be a top 5 pick.

Depth. Its always been that way because of depth and it being one of the harder positions to measure based on level of opposition and now even harder with complex D schemes. He said he predicted a 4.20 40 time and he came in at 4.35 I believe. Still very fast, but not Deion speed and quickness in my opinion. But then again how many are?

I think that has more to do with FA CB's being battle tested and proven. You can do a lot more in college than you can in the NFL as a CB in terms of physical play and getting your hands on the WRs.

In Nebraska that's been the talk about Prince Amukamara at least. Some teams area wary because of the physical style of his play and the concern that it won't translate well to the league.

If Denver doesn't take Dareus that would be a shock.

That is what I have seen in all the mocks. I am thrilled for Marcel that he might go that high, but having watched his whole college career, I'm not sure I understand it. Maybe I missed a lot of him being double-teamed, but he seemed to disappear for large portions of the games (other than the NC Game against Texas...he was everywhere that night). Guess that's why I'm not an NFL scout.

I heard an interesting take on Peterson. I heard someone say over the weekend that he didnt have that turn the hips around speed they like to see from CB's.

That is what I have seen in all the mocks. I am thrilled for Marcel that he might go that high, but having watched his whole college career, I'm not sure I understand it. Maybe I missed a lot of him being double-teamed, but he seemed to disappear for large portions of the games (other than the NC Game against Texas...he was everywhere that night). Guess that's why I'm not an NFL scout.

I think that is why he is not listed as that "cant miss" guy.

I heard an interesting take on Peterson. I heard someone say over the weekend that he didnt have that turn the hips around speed they like to see from CB's.

That is one of the biggest reasons for a possible move to S.

I know it's a whole different position but these same GM's are willing to pay QB's who are no more battle tested or experienced either. Just madening sometimes how GM's try to outthink themselves or the process sometimes.

I think that has more to do with FA CB's being battle tested and proven. You can do a lot more in college than you can in the NFL as a CB in terms of physical play and getting your hands on the WRs.

In Nebraska that's been the talk about Prince Amukamara at least. Some teams area wary because of the physical style of his play and the concern that it won't translate well to the league.

hadn't thought of this one....and there's only a handful of CB's out there that can take away a WR in a game by themselves so they'd need to rely on a scheme too.
Depth. Its always been that way because of depth and it being one of the harder positions to measure based on level of opposition and now even harder with complex D schemes. He said he predicted a 4.20 40 time and he came in at 4.35 I believe. Still very fast, but not Deion speed and quickness in my opinion. But then again how many are?

I think it's because he's just that solid. He's not the flashy type player and granted in the NFL I don't think DT's are paid to get sacks or make the highlight type plays. Fairley seems to get a lot of the hype because of that tremendous bowl game and all the plays he made. I hope it's a trade down or Dareus because we need a clog and a disruptor in the middle of that new 4-3 and he's the best one.

I think that is why he is not listed as that "cant miss" guy.

That is one of the biggest reasons for a possible move to S.

This is exactly what was mentioned too. And why a certain GM said they were not high on him.

I think it's because he's just that solid. He's not the flashy type player and granted in the NFL I don't think DT's are paid to get sacks or make the highlight type plays. Fairley seems to get a lot of the hype because of that tremendous bowl game and all the plays he made. I hope it's a trade down or Dareus because we need a clog and a disruptor in the middle of that new 4-3 and he's the best one.

Yeah, I think Dareus is a very good, solid player, but not your typical #2 overall pick. This year is just an odd one draft wise though...you could make a compelling arguement for 8-10 guys being top 3 picks and the drop-off behind them isn't as drastic as in years past, but no one is 100% superstar.

Whoever drafts Newton just better pray for a rookie wage scale to be in effect when they sign him, otherwise Jamarcus Russell will look like a better signing for the dollars. I just can't see him being smart enough to run a offensive system with more than 30 plays. He was a man among boys in the SEC last year, but these NFL guys will take him apart.

He was a man among boys in the SEC last year, but these NFL guys will take him apart.

You want to hear something funny. That was almost word for word an exact report that a scout we worked with said about Vince Young. Substitute SEC for Big 12 and its the exact same thing. Im not sold on his flopness as of yet.

I think the draft is so much more unpredictable this year because there has not been any free agency with the lockout. Teams can normally address an area ore 2 in free agency, and then have a clear cut plan for the draft, but not this year. I'll still be watching it, and I will continue to watch the NFL because I do not like college football and there lack of a tourney/playoff system to truly determine a national champion.

You want to hear something funny. That was almost word for word an exact report that a scout we worked with said about Vince Young. Substitute SEC for Big 12 and its the exact same thing. Im not sold on his flopness as of yet.

I don't doubt it...very good comparison for athletic gifts, I'm concerned that the mental side is just too similar as well. He may prove me wrong, and I hope for the Panthers sake he does, but we'll have to wait and see. I'd rather take my chances on Gabbert, even if the upside wasn't as high, if I was going to take one of the two.

I'm not sold on his flopness yet either, but nor would I take a chance with him in the first round, wage scale or not. If you draft a first round quarterback and miss, it sets your franchise back 2-3 years, I just don't trust him enough and there are too many question marks around both his personal life and his play. I would stay away in the first round.

Yeah, I think Dareus is a very good, solid player, but not your typical #2 overall pick. This year is just an odd one draft wise though...you could make a compelling arguement for 8-10 guys being top 3 picks and the drop-off behind them isn't as drastic as in years past, but no one is 100% superstar.

Whoever drafts Newton just better pray for a rookie wage scale to be in effect when they sign him, otherwise Jamarcus Russell will look like a better signing for the dollars. I just can't see him being smart enough to run a offensive system with more than 30 plays. He was a man among boys in the SEC last year, but these NFL guys will take him apart.

Yeah, he's definitely not Suh. I think you're right though in that there's not that couple of bonafide superstars in this draft. Will there be, absolutely. This draft is so deep, especially on the defensive side, that if you pick right you can erase a lot of holes quickly. I also think there's not much hype because there's not much talk on your "sexier" positions like RB and WR this year. There should be a lot of talented "core" guys drafted this year and that bodes well for teams that have a lot of holes to fill.

Yeah, he's definitely not Suh. I think you're right though in that there's not that couple of bonafide superstars in this draft. Will there be, absolutely. This draft is so deep, especially on the defensive side, that if you pick right you can erase a lot of holes quickly. I also think there's not much hype because there's not much talk on your "sexier" positions like RB and WR this year. There should be a lot of talented "core" guys drafted this year and that bodes well for teams that have a lot of holes to fill.

I think theres also not a lot of hype around it because of the lockout. Just look at when the schedual was released, thats normally a huge day of breaking down the matchups and possible wins and loses but this year it just kinda happened with out too much notice because we don't even know how many of those games will be played.

Steelers need a corner. Steelers need a corner. Steelers need a corner.

If I say it enough maybe it'll come true?

I know it's a whole different position but these same GM's are willing to pay QB's who are no more battle tested or experienced either. Just madening sometimes how GM's try to outthink themselves or the process sometimes.

Yeah I hear you. I'd say the difference there is that it seems like there are a lot more CBs in general than QBs. If you miss on a CB you can fix that with some FA acquisitions or some kid off of the practice squad and not be too far off. If you find THE GUY at QB you're set for 4-6 years. There's a lot of guys who can run fast/jump high but not a lot that can fully understand/implement a playbook.

Still very fast, but not Deion speed and quickness in my opinion.

Was Deion running on an electronic clock or a handheld?

Back