Short Course Strategy - How Would You Play It?

I'm a member of a golf course out in McKinney, TX called Eldorado Country Club. It's a short course compared to today's courses and measures out to about 6,700 yards from the back tees but usually plays 50-75 yards shorter because some tee's are usually up. Par 3's are pretty tuff out there (175, 185 and 195 yards) and the 3 par 5's you can really only reach 1, maybe 2, with a very good drive placed just in the right spot. The par 4's are much shorter but usually a dog leg or some water on one side or the other. It is a pretty tight course with trees on every hole and each green has a pretty good slope on it.

I consider myself a pretty long hitter. On a tight course that sometimes gets me in trouble. BUT, when the long sticks are going well, it leaves me 50-75 yard 2nd shots into the par 4's.

My question is - Would you play this short track with tight fairways with 3 woods and irons off the tee's or would you play away with the driver and take what it gave you?

Given how I'm pretty darn lazy when I play, I'd probably hit a lot of 3-irons and rescues/3-woods off the tees and try to give myself 100-140 yard approaches. The rest is hard to say without knowledge of the rough, how easy the greens are to hold, doglegs etc etc.

Edit: OK, based on those pics.

13: Iron towards thin tree on right side of the fairway. Should leave PW/9-iron.
12: Driver I think, depends on if the water/dogleg can be carried/cut.
17: Iron/3W, depends on how far it is to the dogleg and what's beyond. :)
9: Driver.
5: Looks like a 6-iron.

I was thinking the same thing on twelve, haha. Examined it for a while. Thought it was over the water at first but the tee box doesn't seem to indicate that. So, I'd guess it'd be more to the left in that picture.

I thought that as well at first glance but upon further inspection it could be one of those risk/reward holes. Bail out with iron to the left (probably why the tee boxes are pointed that way) then approach across water or bomb away across water with sand as a penalty if you're not accurate. Could be wrong though. :D

I like to keep the ball in play as much as possible so hybrids from the tee. Much prefer to hit a full shot into a green than a half shot.

@Nate, Holes 13 and 17 seem like 3w off the tee holes. But hole number 9 looks like a BLAST THE DRIVER OVER THE DOGLEG kind of hole.

Those do look like some tight fairways. I have to agree with Snap Hook on those decisions.
Of course, if I'm really feeling it, I may hit driver on any of the par 4's.

I was thinking the same thing on twelve, haha. Examined it for a while. Thought it was over the water at first but the tee box doesn't seem to indicate that. So, I'd guess it'd be more to the left in that picture.

Yea, it is to the left, you have to hit something far enought to get past those 3 trees by the water and the fairway opens up some the further down you get.

@Nate, Holes 13 and 17 seem like 3w off the tee holes. But hole number 9 looks like a BLAST THE DRIVER OVER THE DOGLEG kind of hole.

Hahaha - this comment had me rolling, because that's about what I thought to myself!

For me, 6600 yards is stout! I'm still a pretty new golfer though, and mostly play from the white tees to give myself a chance as I improve. I like a lot of comments in this thread. I'm glad to see my own thoughts fall in line with others out there. That said, here are my general guidelines when playing a course:

Par 5's = driver.
Par 4's around 400 yards and over = driver
Par 4's around 350 - 375 yards = 3-wood
Par 4's around 300 yards and below = 2-hybrid.

Of course, this changes depending on how much trouble there is, landing areas, and how the driver is behaving. Ever since I instated this policy, I've seen my fairways and GIR's go up and my scores start coming down. I'm so bummed, I have a sprained / broken wrist and all I want to do is swing a club! Hurry up and heal!

It's rare that I use driver on all par 4's, par 5's at any course. My home course has 6 or 7 holes that a 3 wood, 5 wood, or hybrid could be used off the tee. Love to see the scores of players that hit a driver as hard as they can on some of the shorter par 4's there. The hole may only be 360 yards but it's all uphill.

I hit hybrids to the flat areas and have never have more than a pitching wedge going in where the other player has a sidehill lie to a green that is less than 900 square feet.

That isn't really that short....

It's all about your tee game. Keeping the ball in the fairway is the most important thing because it starts the hole off and puts you in good position off the hop.

ahhhhhh to be with the young bucks in their 20 to 30's again and play on those short 6700 yd courses :thumb:. Nate it would depend on how accurate off the tee you are with the big stick or how well you hit your 3 - wood.

ahhhhhh to be with the young bucks in their 20 to 30's again and play on those short 6700 yd courses :thumb:. Nate it would depend on how accurate off the tee you are with the big stick or how well you hit your 3 - wood.

Some days are better than others, as you, and the rest of us golfers know. :neutral:

Back