TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Had some interesting observations yesterday when hitting these compared to my previous set. My ball striking is a little more consistent (center of the club face around groove 2 or 3) and solid with better tempo. The definite trade off is distance loss though as I was seeing a good club to club and a half difference. The CB's made me focus more on ball striking and even tempo whereas the x-24's I was comparing them to were more forgiving and gave me a feeling of 'just swing and let the ball get i the way.' It was like I had eliminated all the CB swing thoughts I was having and just swung. Were the results the same? No because they are two different irons but I thought it was interesting that I had two different mind sets when hitting these different sets

Great insight Hanks! I feel the way this club was built forces you to focus on your tempo and swing path. I felt myself conciously focus on striking this ball well, compared to how you put it "let the ball get in the way."

thanks Mardin, it's almost like when I was swinging the 24's that I knew I could get away with more and knew I didn't have to put a perfect swing on the ball to get the results I wanted...that's the best way I could explain what I was thinking while doing this little test. Now if I could find a set that gave me all of the above I'd be good to go :D

Great insight Hanks! I feel the way this club was built forces you to focus on your tempo and swing path. I felt myself conciously focus on striking this ball well, compared to how you put it "let the ball get in the way."

I would agree with you that these bad boys give very little error room. My swings were pathetic yesterday with these. Range to course is a much different transition for me at this point. I did like the turf interaction, you van dig to china if need be... On well struck shots, I got a nice high shot that just dropped. Perhaps not the best for the wind I was playing in, might want to club up. I am really excited to give these another hundred go's.

I would agree with you that these bad boys give very little error room. My swings were pathetic yesterday with these. Range to course is a much different transition for me at this point. I did like the turf interaction, you van dig to china if need be... On well struck shots, I got a nice high shot that just dropped. Perhaps not the best for the wind I was playing in, might want to club up. I am really excited to give these another hundred go's.

Interesting thing about the CB's is; in Golf Magazine Club Test 2011 they reviewed irons and the TM CB's were rated in the "Better Player" category along with Titleist AP2's, Adams CB1's, Mizuno MP-53, Nike Victory Red Pro Combo, Ping S56 etc...

So I can see how people are finding the CB's less forgiving than they expected for a CB...

But that begs the question, if the CB's are for better players where does that put the MC's and MB's?

Good question and something that I think about often. I truly do think that these irons are for the better player. Definitely for a better player than I am.

Interesting thing about the CB's is; in Golf Magazine Club Test 2011 they reviewed irons and the TM CB's were rated in the "Better Player" category along with Titleist AP2's, Adams CB1's, Mizuno MP-53, Nike Victory Red Pro Combo, Ping S56 etc...

So I can see how people are finding the CB's less forgiving than they expected for a CB...

But that begs the question, if the CB's are for better players where does that put the MC's and MB's?

The MC and MB's are for the Mid-Low handicapper, but the CB's bridge a bit of the gap between mid-20 handicappers. You won't get the distance and uber forgivness higher handicap players crave, but they will deliver great ballflight and excellent feel. I think it's hard to pigeon hole a handicap on any club, it's more the swing style and golfer that you really need to focus on when classifying clubs. I think TM states the CB's are for 0-20HC players, which prob sounds correct.

The MC and MB's are for the Mid-Low handicapper, but the CB's bridge a bit of the gap between mid-20 handicappers. You won't get the distance and uber forgivness higher handicap players crave, but they will deliver great ballflight and excellent feel. I think it's hard to pigeon hole a handicap on any club, it's more the swing style and golfer that you really need to focus on when classifying clubs. I think TM states the CB's are for 0-20HC players, which prob sounds correct.

Don't get me wrong in that I'm not trying sound like a buzzkill, but I really don't agree with much of that. I'd say that the both the MC's and MB's are really best suited for low handicappers that have excellent ball striking skills. I'd say the CB's are a club that fit a low to mid handicapper with good ball striking skills. Imo, 20 is a high handicap and these clubs are not inherently suited for that level of skill.

I'd agree that have very good feel and balance, but I don't think they offer a good ballflight for me in any way. They launch too high, are the opposite of penetrating, and generally just die in the wind. I've hit quite a few irons that have better ball flight for me than the CB's. At first, I would have agreed with you. On the range and in a windless evironment, they do have a very pretty ball flight, but for me, looks can be deceiving. Add to that the fact that they are at least a club shorter than many GI irons on the market and I'm wondering how they can be right for such a wide range of players.

I would agree that it's hard to classify irons based on handicaps. I also think that TM is trying to sell irons and in many ways are marketing this line of clubs to players that may not really benefit from them as much as they think they will.

I would agree that it's hard to classify irons based on handicaps. I also think that TM is trying to sell irons and in many ways are marketing this line of clubs to players that may not really benefit from them as much as they think they will.

This line of clubs especially the MB is for players who know what they want and need for their game. Distance is definetley not where these irons excell, but the people that choose GI distance irons are choosing them because they need that distance. I don't think TM is marketing these irons as hard as they were the 2.0's, because the 2.0s bridged a large gap of players and handicaps. In almost every piece of marketing I've seen for these three sets they have mention the word "players" unfortunatley with the CB's they mentioned "forgiveness." Most people relate forgiveness with GI irons and when they read the word forgiveness they think "Man I can play these irons." This is obv. not the case with the CB's as we have all read. I purposely toed a few balls during my fitting and the club is somewhat forgiving in dispersion but you lose easily 10-15 yards, compared to the 2.0 where you toe a ball and the distance is still somewhat consistent. Great insight Hawk, did you get a chance to game or hit the Z-Stars when you were at THP HQ (I don't remember from the other thread), and if so how would you compare them to the CB's?

I don't buy into the this handicap for this club info that is forced on us. Different people's handicap comes from different things. Poor course management, the teebox, trying to hit impossible hero shots, chipping, and sometimes putting adds to mine. Irons, however, shine for me. And I'm sure this is true for others as well. So how is a company going to tell us that because our handicap is a 12 or 15 that our irons should be SGI or GI.

Now I'm sure that more often than not this will be the case, but don't pigeon hole yourself when looking for a new set by your handicap. Just my opinion though.

I did hit the Z-Stars and I don't really think the two are in the same category, aside from both being forged (partially, in the CB's case). The Z-Stars were longer and had a much more usable (for me) ballflight. I much prefer the Nippon shafts to the XP shafts, and will definitely admit that could be a big reason that I prefer the Z-Star's ball flight. I didn't get a chance to really get a good feeling for the forgiveness, but I did see a couple shots JB pulled off that were not in the center of the face and I never would have guessed it. I did find that I enjoyed the feel of both irons quite a bit.

I do agree that they are marketed as a 'players' iron in many ways, but at times I think that we can blur the lines a bit with words we use. I've never believed in 'growing' into a set of clubs, but you hear it often with irons. Oddly, if I asked somebody to play a driver that they sliced all the time or lost 20 yards with under the pretense that they might get better with it, they'd think I was crazy. I think they could be incredible irons for the right person, especially if they take the time to get fitted with a shaft. I really am just making sure my thoughts are heard because when people hear 'forgiveness' they may have a different idea in mind than what these offer.

I really am just making sure my thoughts are heard because when people hear 'forgiveness' they may have a different idea in mind than what these offer.

Bingo!

I'm going to agree heartily with the past few number of posts. First, numerical handicap is indeed not a good way to choose a particular club as you really need to analyze your particular strengths and weaknesses.

Related to the CBs being described as forgiving, and what that means to various players and whether or not that description might be misinterpreted:

I pulled out my previous set of irons - Cleveland CG Gold - and swung the 7 iron again this morning after using only he TP CBs for the past five days. Not surprisingly, the CBs felt more precise, more refined, flashier, and more like a precision instrument. The CG Golds felt sturdier - like using a sledge hammer in a sword fight. That's not being negative - just descriptive of their qualities.

I knew the CBs fit into the "players irons" category because TM has labeled them "Tour Preferred". That, plus they are forged clubs. It just seems to me that a players iron can be either cast or forged, but if you have a forged club, you can just accept that it's designed to be used by the better player.

So yeah, I guess to try and classify the CBs, they're more Game Enhancement and less Game Improvement. I knew before buying them that I would need to improve my golf game in order to take full advantage of the clubs. I'm capable, I've got the time, and it's a goal I want to work towards.

So I've described my results with the irons as "mixed" so far, I want to be clear that this is exactly what I expected and look forward to continuing with these clubs. It's an expensive purchase and I hope that any prospective buyer of any set of irons takes the time to evaluate their game, get fit, hit plenty of clubs, and make a wise choice based on plenty of research and experience.

I game the CB's, I am not the best ball striker as far as consistancy goes, yeah, the CB's will make you work for your scores, to me it is like a job, if you have an easy job, you become complacent and dont work hard(GI irons). With a job that makes you work hard, you become more succesful. Now, do I think that GE irons are for everyone, not at all, but I think if you have a good swing and what it takes to be a decent golfer, then I think these will improve your game. I think there have been many opinions in here that these clubs arent for high cappers, but I think the club itself is like feel, its in the eye of the beholder, so I think its difficult to say if it is or is not for someone. If someone buys these clubs and is very excited, I can assure you I will be happy for you and root you on to lowering those scores. I am so happy to see people buying these clubs and I truly hope they find success with them.

One-T, you know we are bros, so don't take this wrong, but I just don't understand how playing an iron that isn't suited for your skill level will make you better. They don't show you how to swing better, they just show you when you didn't. I still know when I didn't swing well with a GI iron, I just don't have quite as much punishment from it. I think I have what it takes to be a decent golfer, but I don't see why accepting worse results will improve my ability to score lower. I think becoming better is as much a product of building confidence and learning how to get the ball in the hole as it is anything else. That said, you've played a longer than I have, hit the ball farther, and are a much better player than I am. Do you feel like you would have chosen these irons vs a more forgiving/longer set when you had just played a couple years?

Just a quick edit to say that I work hard on my game. Playing clubs that make it harder doesn't make me work any harder. It just makes me want different clubs :)

Last edited:
i really wish i could afford a set of these irons!! :(

One-T, you know we are bros, so don't take this wrong, but I just don't understand how playing an iron that isn't suited for your skill level will make you better. They don't show you how to swing better, they just show you when you didn't. I still know when I didn't swing well with a GI iron, I just don't have quite as much punishment from it. I think I have what it takes to be a decent golfer, but I don't see why accepting worse results will improve my ability to score lower. I think becoming better is as much a product of building confidence and learning how to get the ball in the hole as it is anything else. That said, you've played a longer than I have, hit the ball farther, and are a much better player than I am. Do you feel like you would have chosen these irons vs a more forgiving/longer set when you had just played a couple years?

Just a quick edit to say that I work hard on my game. Playing clubs that make it harder doesn't make me work any harder. It just makes me want different clubs :)

Fair enough Hawk, I think that with a GI iron you dont feel your misses as much as I feel them with the CB, so, I think if someone is putting a lot into their game and fixing their misses then these would help. I do see what your saying and for you and your preferences I would agree, If someone handed you a set of blades, said learn how ot swing these, you would eventually learn. Its not all about swing path and take aways...look at Jim Furyk. That guy obviously learned how to get the club face square at impact with his swing. I just think its like all these people talking about gaps in their hybrids and 3 woods....well, to worry about gaps in your clubs, you need to hit them consistantly, and I would guess that most of these people who stress these gaps the most hit the ball more inconsistantly than some. But, its what they worry about and want to work on, so to each their own. I think this thread took a complete 180, it all of a sudden turned into a FEAR the CB's thread, and I think that is just wrong information, I mean the MC thread gets more forgiveness than the CB thread.

Do I think a 25 HDCP should game the CB's, prob not, but thats something tht each individual needs to decide for themselves. I have had great days with the CB's and bad days with the CB's, I am sure that my bad days would have been not as bad with more of a GI iron, but, I like the feedback I am getting right now, I am working hard on my game and hitting the ball very consistantly, thats all that matters to me. I think its awesome that people have got so excited about these and have pulled the trigger, I hope these work out well for them.

Good post, T :)

I'm not trying to make it a fear the CB thread by any means, but I see your point. I've just been thinking a lot about why we play what we play and it's something I think of even more when I read this and the other TP threads. That and I tend to talk to much at times hehe.

turned into a FEAR the CB's thread, and I think that is just wrong information, I mean the MC thread gets more forgiveness than the CB thread.

I think more thought and "warning" rather than fear has been placed onto this thread because this set seems to be bridging a gap between GI irons and the almighty "FORGED PLAYERS IRON" category. It's fair to say that many people have been looking at this club and saying, "hell if I can hit the 2.0 or the CG 16 or any other club being compared," why can't I hit the TM TP CB. This club has bridged a gap that has allowed people the ability to not be overwhelemed thinking they are hitting a "FORGED PLAYERS IRON" or a blade-like club.

We all know there is a stigma that comes with playing "forged" irons. Whether it is an ego thing, or a status thing, or for most of us, an overall "feel" thing, people will continue to use them. This club has just given mid-HC'er JoeSchome the feeling that he can play forged clubs.

I poured countless time and effort into looking for clubs, and being the anal-retentive research fiend I am, I chose these clubs because they are just a damn amazing set of clubs that fit my game and what I was looking for to help my game improve.

I hear ya bro, I am not saying that you turned it into a fear the CB thread, I was just making an analogy, it just seems like there has been a complete 180 on the thoughts in this thread. That has confused me more than anything.

I think more thought and "warning" rather than fear has been placed onto this thread because this set seems to be bridging a gap between GI irons and the almighty "FORGED PLAYERS IRON" category. It's fair to say that many people have been looking at this club and saying, "hell if I can hit the 2.0 or the CG 16 or any other club being compared," why can't I hit the TM TP CB. This club has bridged a gap that has allowed people the ability to not be overwhelemed thinking they are hitting a "FORGED PLAYERS IRON" or a blade-like club.

We all know there is a stigma that comes with playing "forged" irons. Whether it is an ego thing, or a status thing, or for most of us, an overall "feel" thing, people will continue to use them. This club has just given mid-HC'er JoeSchome the feeling that he can play forged clubs.

I poured countless time and effort into looking for clubs, and being the anal-retentive research fiend I am, I chose these clubs because they are just a damn amazing set of clubs that fit my game and what I was looking for to help my game improve.

good post buddy, I understand what you mean by "warning", hell, I have given my fair share of warnings about these clubs, I was one of the first to say that if you miss then you get punished. So, this IMHO has been known, thats why i am confused as to why there has been such a sudden change in feelings of these clubs in the past few weeks by certain people.

Well, I'm a hi-capper gaming the CBs and I don't fear them at all. I'm enjoying the heck out of them.

I hear ya bro, I am not saying that you turned it into a fear the CB thread, I was just making an analogy, it just seems like there has been a complete 180 on the thoughts in this thread. That has confused me more than anything.

I thought about that quite a bit and sort of talked about it a couple pages back. When I first got these I was in love with everything CB. But, I was hitting them at the range mostly and when I did take them on the course, I was playing in perfect (aside from the cold) conditions. As soon as I played in wind I started feeling some doubt creep in. Also, for me there is a big difference between being at the range and hitting an iron 10 yards shorter than another set and having to accept that fact on the course. It may be in my head, but it's there. I know that isn't an issue for you since 1) they are similar to your old set and 2) you hit the ball far enough that it doesn't really matter.

Like anything, these will fit certain people very well and not fit others very well. I just have to be honest because I hate the idea of somebody spending so much money without knowing all sides. In the end, these are an iron that people should definitely try out if they are out shopping. The folks that find they are perfect for their needs will love them. They are a solid set of clubs.

Your honesty is well appreciated Hawk. Unfortunately I had to send my babies back to TM today because they sent me the wrong length shaft. Hopefully I will have my new correctly fit set in two weeks.

Nice post Hawk, I love the honesty and I think it goes a long way

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

Back