The Official 2011 NFL Draft Thread

I've never seen him play. Is he a mauler or a finesse guy? How clean are his hips in pass pro? He should have decent reach with high height.

He's a tackle from Wisconsin. He won the Outland Trophy. He will be a really good pro for a long time.

I like this kid Wilkerson out of Temple. Looks like and is built like a tank. Ryan Mallett still intrigues me as well. If he can get all that off field junk out of the way he could be a solid pro. I think teams will reach for him though early in the 2nd round.

I wouldn't draft Mallett in any round. That guy scares me. He seems to take plays off, which scares me for a quarterback, and doesn't seem to have the mental make up of a leader.

The name that pops out to me is the T from Wisconsin Gabe Carimi. Will prob go mid to late in the 1st round but rookie T's from Wisconsin seem to start early because they all know how to block really well. He's big 6'7" 315 and could prob start right away at RT and stay there for 10 years easy. He won't be flashy but should lock up a position for the team that drafts him for a long time.

One of the best threads to be a part of here on THP is the NFL draft thread as the draft is going on.....until JB starts getting every pick right lol

Not this year if we do a contest...hehe. It was fun last year though.

Im not sold on Carimi yet. Could be very good if he gets his balance under control. The G/T thing always makes me nervous.

I read it all. :act-up: 315 isn't all that heavy for a guy that's 6'7". I've never seen his pass sets or footwork so I was asking what they were like. From your second comment I would guess that he's stiff in the hips? Does he get by on size or is he a technician? I guess that's what I should be asking.

He has very quick feet, elite first step, tends to bend at the waist to much, and could get in trouble trying to be so quick and blow people up in the NFL where those guys will use that to get him upfield and out of the way.

He has been compared to Michael Roos.

He's a tackle from Wisconsin. He won the Outland Trophy. He will be a really good pro for a long time.

I've never watched him play. Does he get by on size or is he a technician? Any history of knee/hip problems?

Im not sold on Carimi yet. Could be very good if he gets his balance under control. The G/T thing always makes me nervous.

From this it seems like he's a size guy. Stiff in the hips?

Skimmer!!!! Check out the rest of my post.... 6'7" 315? Hardly ready to join Dancing with the Stars anytime soon

I read it all, I was just trying to get a little more in depth from anybody who has actually seen him play. Size doesn't really dictate the flexibility of the player and 315 isn't all that heavy for a guy who is 6'7". Depends how good of a 315 it is.

I wouldn't draft Mallett in any round. That guy scares me. He seems to take plays off, which scares me for a quarterback, and doesn't seem to have the mental make up of a leader.

That's whats so intriguing about him. It'll be a roll of a dice for sure but there's something about him that makes me think that he'll be a good quarterback. I also think Kaepernick if you put him in the right system could also be a good one.

I'd love to have some kind of contest going on during the draft since I'm a Redskins fan and the draft has been pretty much irrelevant since Snyder took over. Haha

He has very quick feet, elite first step, tends to bend at the waist to much, and could get in trouble trying to be so quick and blow people up in the NFL where those guys will use that to get him upfield and out of the way.

So he's a little stiff and has relied more on size/power in college than honing technique.

So he's a little stiff and has relied more on size/power in college than honing technique.

Not completely. He has great feet they say and is a great pass blocker. The issue comes in with his technique and balance on run blocking.

"His height can be used against him and he too often is off-balance because he leans and lunges to recover rather than sliding or shifting. If he doesn't correct this technique flaw, he'll be a right tackle in the NFL." From a scout.

I think that's why he's projected as a RT beacuse the elite DE's that line up on the right side would abuse him if he was at LT

He has been compared to Michael Roos.

Not this year if we do a contest...hehe. It was fun last year though.

Not completely. He has great feet they say and is a great pass blocker. The issue comes in with his technique and balance on run blocking.

"His height can be used against him and he too often is off-balance because he leans and lunges to recover rather than sliding or shifting. If he doesn't correct this technique flaw, he'll be a right tackle in the NFL." From a scout.

Interesting. That sounds like more of a patience issue than anything in run blocking.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I really wish NFL network or FOX or CBS would develop a Picture in Picture option with the tight angle of the line. I miss being able to look at that and watch the line play. I hate following the ball and having the secondary cut off the screen. You have no idea what's actually going on watching on TV...

I really wish NFL network or somebody had a Picture in Picture option where they gave you the tight angle of the lines during a broadcast. I hate the "watch the ball" coverage.

You want to watch the line after the balls gone?

You want to watch the line after the balls gone?

Yeah. I'm kind of a dork. I coached the Tight Ends and assisted with the OL my first year of graduate school. That's all I want to watch. Watching the lines will tell you where the play is going from the snap. It's really interesting if you've never watched it. I think it helps you understand the game better... just my $.02

Yeah. I'm kind of a dork. I coached the Tight Ends and assisted with the OL my first year of graduate school. That's all I want to watch. Watching the lines will tell you where the play is going from the snap. It's really interesting if you've never watched it. I think it helps you understand the game better... just my $.02

Absolutely I played RG and MLB. I just don't think I've ever heard that before. I wasn't asking as if it was a bad thing just kind of surprised to hear it.

Im not sure I would call Smith top 10 talent. Top 15 talent more than likely for me. Also not sure he will start right away.

Great size and good speed have made him stand out, but you are right, his character issues are VERY high. Drugs, arrests (and he only admitted to 1, despite being arrested more than that), but another knock has been football IQ and learning schemes outside of stand alone zone and man cover.

Also hard to call Ingram a sleeper no? He is listed on just about every board as the top RB this year.

Smith could be really good immediately if he keeps his nose clean! Big IF. Which makes him a sleeper to me.

#1 RB.. yes, but Ingram is probably not going to get drafted until late first round or early second. If he is as productive as I think he is going to be, there will be alot of teams wishing they would have taken him. He could win offensive ROY!

Absolutely I played RG and MLB. I just don't think I've ever heard that before. I wasn't asking as if it was a bad thing just kind of surprised to hear it.

That's where football is played boy-oh.

I really miss seeing the tight angle. If I hadn't met the wife, I would still be doing that. I love watching the chess match prior to the snap when a center is calling out protections and the d is feinting a stunt.

Smith could be really good immediately if he keeps his nose clean! Big IF. Which makes him a sleeper to me.

#1 RB.. yes, but Ingram is probably not going to get drafted until late first round or early second. If he is as productive as I think he is going to be, there will be alot of teams wishing they would have taken him. He could win offensive ROY!

No way Ingram lasts until the 2nd round. Not even close.

What exactly happened with Ingram's knee? I like his desire but I don't know if I should be worried about his durability.

I gotta think if he drops down to 28 the Pats will take him if they don't trade the pick

What exactly happened with Ingram's knee? I like his desire but I don't know if I should be worried about his durability.

Just had it scoped, nothing major. Shouldn't really be to much of a durability concern. I would think most teams want him and are throwing the durability issue out there to get him to drop. Typical draft trickery.

I agree, but I think people are worried about his knee. The earliest I have seen him slotted in mock drafts is in the teens, and most have him going in the mid to late twenties. I don't think he will last to round 2, but guys fall in drafts all the time.

I agree, but I think people are worried about his knee. The earliest I have seen him slotted in mock drafts is in the teens, and most have him going in the mid to late twenties. I don't think he will last to round 2, but guys fall in drafts all the time.

Im sure the typical media places are saying that people are worried about his knee, but I cannot attest to that. I can tell you that everybody I have spoken with, not a single person thinks a scope is very serious and nobody mentioned his durability at all.

The earliest people see the #1 back on the board going is in the teens because many times it is based on need. He is not going to late to the late 20s or the 2nd round in my opinion.

I gotta think if he drops down to 28 the Pats will take him if they don't trade the pick

Pats need OL badly. I would look for them to stock up on OL in this draft.

Im sure the typical media places are saying that people are worried about his knee, but I cannot attest to that. I can tell you that everybody I have spoken with, not a single person thinks a scope is very serious and nobody mentioned his durability at all.

The earliest people see the #1 back on the board going is in the teens because many times it is based on need. He is not going to late to the late 20s or the 2nd round in my opinion.

Exactly. Like I said before, typical pre-draft trickery.

Back