NFL Draft Contest & Thread

yeah, they calmed jackson down somewhat, but i forget who they just interviewed, A real good cornerback, but has alot off the field issues.. dang i cant remember his name.. i think hes from colorado

yeah, they calmed jackson down somewhat, but i forget who they just interviewed, A real good cornerback, but has alot off the field issues.. dang i cant remember his name.. i think hes from colorado

The guy you said they will pick.

And its clearly not just Jackson, their QB has some character issues as well in his past.

They are not afraid of character issues clearly.

Troubled players are such a huge risk/reward.

The browns last year got first round talent (CJ Ward) in the second round, but at the risk of a bust. So far it has worked out for them with Ward, but it is still a very risky proposition.

The OL from NC strikes me as a similar player this year. Top 15 talent that wont go till the 2nd round because of character issues.

Im not sure really. Paying huge money to a kid with nobody to throw the ball to him? A guess of course.
Im not sure either of these kids is worthy of 1st pick money (WRs).

I agree about these WR- so few are worth #1 money anyways. I struggle taking WR this early because it is pretty rare that a WR comes in and produces right away. It usually takes 3 years for a WR to really make his mark on the NFL (I know you can point to several that made for great rookies, but I think they are exceptions and not the rule).

I am not 100% convinced the Clausen isn't a good QB. P. Manning played awful year #1. If he was drafted now and had that first season I really wonder if he would have been given enough chances to become a HOFer.

Manning
3 wins, 56.7%, 3700 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INT, Rating 71.2

I am not 100% convinced the Clausen isn't a good QB. P. Manning played awful year #1. If he was drafted now and had that first season I really wonder if he would have been given enough chances to become a HOFer.

But having viewed both of their rookie seasons, it would be hard to draw any parallel at all between the two seasons.

shows how much im paying attention, and vick does have problems, like i tell everyone, im a vick football player fan, not a vick personal life fan! but we shall see!! one day we will have a trophy.......... hopefully before i bite it lol

shows how much im paying attention, and vick does have problems, like i tell everyone, im a vick football player fan, not a vick personal life fan! but we shall see!! one day we will have a trophy.......... hopefully before i bite it lol

Hopefully that works for you.

I never wish injury on anybody...EXCEPT Michael Vick. I hope he gets Ray Lewis upside the head.

But having viewed both of their rookie seasons, it would be hard to draw any parallel at all between the two seasons.

I didn't see enough of Clausen this year to really make any indepth comparisons. I just wanted to mention that Manning didn't have a very good season #1 and that we often put too many expectations on the shoulders of Rookie QBs.

Hopefully that works for you.

I never wish injury on anybody...EXCEPT Michael Vick. I hope he gets Ray Lewis upside the head.

Are we talking "on the field" Ray Lewis-ed or "off the field" Ray Lewis-ed?

lol ray lewis upside the head!!! thats classic!!!

I didn't see enough of Clausen this year to really make any indepth comparisons. I just wanted to mention that Manning didn't have a very good season #1 and that we often put too many expectations on the shoulders of Rookie QBs.

Thats true.

Neither did Joey Harrington
Andre Ware
Rick Mirer
Heath Shuler
Alex Smith
David Carr
Should we go on? hehe

Manning did stink as a rookie, but not like this. He still threw the ball well. So did Aikman and others. Maybe Claussen turns into something, but I dont see it.

Are we talking "on the field" Ray Lewis-ed or "off the field" Ray Lewis-ed?

When it comes to sacking Vick, either works for me.

if he gets sacked this year like last, i dont see him going more then ten games

Thats true.

Neither did Joey Harrington
Andre Ware
Rick Mirer
Heath Shuler
Alex Smith
David Carr
Should we go on? hehe

Manning did stink as a rookie, but not like this. He still threw the ball well. So did Aikman and others. Maybe Claussen turns into something, but I dont see it.

I am interested in your opinion on this then:
How many of the guys you listed do you think could have been good QBs if they came into the NFL and were able to sit behind an established QB. Look at Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady. Are their players on that list who might have had a different career if they were handled differently?

If I was an NFL caliber QB I would want to go in the 18-25 range in the draft (to the team, not a trade). End up on a good team with an established line. Big Ben and Flacco come to mind as players who were drafted in this manner.

Two years ago the Panthers led the league in rushing, last year Clausen got creamed. The o-line was decimated with injuries. A healthy offensive line, a healthy running game, and you'll see a different Clausen. Of course, he'll have no one to throw it too but that's not the point.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

anf flacco went to U of D!!! this little state is so proud!!!

I am interested in your opinion on this then:
How many of the guys you listed do you think could have been good QBs if they came into the NFL and were able to sit behind an established QB. Look at Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady. Are their players on that list who might have had a different career if they were handled differently?

If I was an NFL caliber QB I would want to go in the 18-25 range in the draft (to the team, not a trade). End up on a good team with an established line. Big Ben and Flacco come to mind as players who were drafted in this manner.

From that list...None. Yes, players handled differently can have different results, but talent finds a way to come through almost always.

Two years ago the Panthers led the league in rushing, last year Clausen got creamed. The o-line was decimated with injuries. A healthy offensive line, a healthy running game, and you'll see a different Clausen. Of course, he'll have no one to throw it too but that's not the point.

So do you think that Jimmy is the answer at QB?
He just seems to struggle with routine throws too much for me. He will learn to read d better, but Im not sure you can teach throws at this level. I hope I am wrong, because he seems like a decent kid, but I am not sure we will get a chance to find out.

From that list...None. Yes, players handled differently can have different results, but talent finds a way to come through almost always.

Thanks for your input JB. I appreciate it.

Thanks for your input JB. I appreciate it.

Anytime. By the way, I think Harrington fooled everybody. I was part of that crowd that had him listed as the best QB coming out that year.

I don't know if he's the answer or not to be honest. He was set up to fail though. Even with the offensive line back, he has no one to throw to. I feel bad for the kid. They should've let Matt Moore play the year out.

Alright, I got one filled out. I dont think I have any extreme picks in there but its still probably way off.

I swear if JJ picks a RB or WR I will not root for the cowboys this year.

I don't know if he's the answer or not to be honest. He was set up to fail though. Even with the offensive line back, he has no one to throw to. I feel bad for the kid. They should've let Matt Moore play the year out.

I say bring back Sir Weinke

I'm watching this special on ESPN with Bill Parcells talking about draft strategy. I'm still a little ticked at Parcells for leaving the Dolphins this past season, but hearing him talk about the strategy related to the draft is fun.

As a Dolphins fan, I'm actually not that excited about the draft, only because I think that the Dolphins are in a hard spot at #15. Assuming that Newton and Gabbert are gone, they would be reaching if they take a QB at #15. 2 things about the QB position: I'm in the minority in thinking that Chad Henne deserves 1 more year as the starting QB (I think him and the O-coordinator last year didn't mesh well, they have a new OC this year). Also, I actually think that Ryan Mallett will be a good pro, despite the character concerns, I just don't think he's good value at #15.

The Dolphins need help at all positions on offense with the exception of offensive tackle, but the first round is better from a defensive standpoint. It would be nice if they could add another great WR, but there's no way that AJ Green and/or Julio Jones drop to #15. I think that Mark Ingram or Mike Pouncey would be upgrades at those positions, but at #15 may be too high for both of them as well. I would prefer if they do like they did last year: trade down in the first round and pick up a second round pick; Denver owns Miami's second round pick this year because of the Brandon Marshall trade. If they stay at #15, I'd like them to take Pouncey, the interior O-line was a mess last year and the O-line needs to be strong to get back to the run-first attack the Dolphins want. That would mean that the Dolphins would re-sign Ronnie Brown in free agency, whenever that comes.

Alright, I got one filled out. I dont think I have any extreme picks in there but its still probably way off.

I swear if JJ picks a RB or WR I will not root for the cowboys this year.

I'm thinking the same thing.. Come on JJ, you gotta not waste it this year!
This is gonna be fun! My draft board every single year is usually pretty nasty looking!

I've got to study a little more and hopefully I will get a couple of picks right! I'll be sending my picks in tomorrow! Good luck to everyone!

Back