Avnet LPGA Classic [Spoilers]

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The ladies tee it up again this week. Fresh off of her victory over THP, Kris Tamulis is in the field. We hope some of our readers can give her some luck.

I will root for Kris any time she plays. She is just a classy girl that has some serious game.

This is usually a really good tournament. It was awesome seeing Se Ri Pak reemerge to win it last year, even though she beat Lincicome, one of my favs.

I looked at the field tonight and noticed several recent Big Break alumnae. Gerina Mendoza Piller is now a tour regular. Blair O'Neal received a sponsor's exemption (along with Lexi Thompson).

Ryann O'Toole got into the field late today after being first alternate this morning. Good deal for Ryann since she doesn't have to mess with Monday qualifying, but it is a bit of a roll of the dice to bypass this week's Futures Tour event in San Antonio. Ryann is first on the Futures Tour money list after a win in the most recent event. Top 5 receive high LPGA status for 2012. Ryann was 7th last year so she has low LPGA priority status.

Seems ridiculous that the LPGA and Futures Tour have such spotty schedules yet they overlap frequently. Ryann missed the first Futures Tour event in Florida after trying to qualify for the LPGA event in Los Angeles earlier in the week.

I looked at the field tonight and noticed several recent Big Break alumnae. Gerina Mendoza Piller is now a tour regular. Blair O'Neal received a sponsor's exemption (along with Lexi Thompson).

Ryann O'Toole got into the field late today after being first alternate this morning. Good deal for Ryann since she doesn't have to mess with Monday qualifying, but it is a bit of a roll of the dice to bypass this week's Futures Tour event in San Antonio. Ryann is first on the Futures Tour money list after a win in the most recent event. Top 5 receive high LPGA status for 2012. Ryann was 7th last year so she has low LPGA priority status.

Seems ridiculous that the LPGA and Futures Tour have such spotty schedules yet they overlap frequently. Ryann missed the first Futures Tour event in Florida after trying to qualify for the LPGA event in Los Angeles earlier in the week.

I think the overlaps are a remnant contractual obligations from the disaster that was Commissioner Bivens. Mike Whan seems to be moving everything in the right direction. I totally agree that it puts the future stars of the sport in a terrible spot and make tough choices.

Can't wait to see the ladies back on TV, I've missed them. Will definately be rooting for Kris.

I enjoy watching the ladies play too, their course management is off the charts. I will be pulling for Kris.

I'll be pulling for her

Sara brown is also in the field. Should be a good tourney. Has a great field.

This will be a four day tournament and televised...if I read the Golf Channel's website correctly. I look forward to watching the re-broadcast on Thursday from 6:30 to 8:30 EST.

JB, Kris doesn't know me, but if you talk to her, please extend my best wishes for a good tournament.

Good luck Kris! I will be pulling for her!

JB, what do you know about the alternates that are listed for the field. Do they get in if another player WD's and is there a specific order they are in?

JB, what do you know about the alternates that are listed for the field. Do they get in if another player WD's and is there a specific order they are in?

There is an order that they get in.

Thanks. Sounds like they've had some pretty rotten weather in Mobile this week. Hopefully the weekend is calm.

Didn't like her on Big Break.

But I hope she does fine as a pro. I always appreciate the ones who advance from the Futures Tour.

Fair enough. That makes sense about ones that advance from the futures tour. I have just recently started to keep up with the womens tour somewhat. Think THP probably has something to do with that. I didn't mind her on big break. My criteria were probably not golf or attitude related though. Should be a fun tourney though.

The alternates are listed in order, based on a Priority List that was put in place about 3 years ago and slightly modified each season. Numerous divisions (Category 11, Category 15, Category 20...) within the priority list, based on money earnings from the previous year, or Q School results, or status as a previous winner on tour, etc.

Basically, every player is assigned a number and that number determines opportunity to get into an event. The lower the number, the better. A player in the 150 range is all but a cinch to get into the full field events, while someone in the 180s, for example, needs plenty of players to not enter the event in the first place, or withdraw later. This week many top players are absent -- Jiyai Shin, I.K. Kim -- so it allows players down the priority list a chance to play for perhaps the first time all year. And it's sensible so many players didn't show up. There hasn't been an event in several weeks, and three weeks until the next event, the match play. Overseas players see no reason to make a one week pit stop.

BTW, the priority list is reshuffled a couple of times during the season, based on money earnings. So making just one cut can be vital for someone who started the season with low status.

Great info, Awsi!

Tourney kicks off and the girls are teeing off.

Kris tees off in about 20 minutes I believe.

I'm really bummed that I won't get to see any of this. I'll be following via this thread and the lpga.com leaderboard.

Back