NFL Draft Contest & Thread

My #1 pick is Von Miller, b/c Carolina will be trading w/ N.E. for their 2 first rounders. This is how imaginative I am.

Their 2 1st round picks and Tom Brady.

mmmm Justin Rose and my butt.

Not gonna lie, I dont want that mental image.

Yeah some images of rosey butt are not the kind I would like to carry with me all day.

Hey Gus,
Are you hearing anything interesting in Cleveland?

Hey JB, whats your top 15 picks? :alien:

Wonder if the cowboys will trade down to around 14-16 then grab JJ Watt? Not sure they will be able to find someone wanting to slip into the 9 spot unless it was the rams trying to grab Julio Jones (if he was still there)

Hey Gus,
Are you hearing anything interesting in Cleveland?

Nothing earth shaking. There is a HUGE backing for Patrick Peterson which continues to surprise me. Heckart (sp?) has a history of drafting a lot of corners in Philadelphia. Most of the squabbling is about if AJGreen is gone (which I think he will be)- what happens. Julio Jones? Quinn? Trade?

There is a local sportscaster that thinks if P.P. is on the table the browns will get good trade offers for teams wanting to come up and get him. That would be a huge wildcard in the draft. The browns need talent, and getting picks in rounds 1-3 would be a great thing for the franchise.

The big topic on sports radio today though is Hillis and the Madden cover. What did he do to deserve that, besides be a white running back?

Nothing earth shaking. There is a HUGE backing for Patrick Peterson which continues to surprise me. Heckart (sp?) has a history of drafting a lot of corners in Philadelphia. Most of the squabbling is about if AJGreen is gone (which I think he will be)- what happens. Julio Jones? Quinn? Trade?

There is a local sportscaster that thinks if P.P. is on the table the browns will get good trade offers for teams wanting to come up and get him. That would be a huge wildcard in the draft. The browns need talent, and getting picks in rounds 1-3 would be a great thing for the franchise.

The big topic on sports radio today though is Hillis and the Madden cover. What did he do to deserve that, besides be a white running back?
Maybe that he went from 70 total yards in 09 to over 1,600 total yards in 2010? That might be part of it. :alien:

Maybe that he went from 70 total yards in 09 to over 1,600 total yards in 2010? That might be part of it. :alien:

He beat out Aaron Rogers in a head to head vote. I am pretty sure that Hillis didn't win a ring las year :alien:

I am hearing that they are shopping this pick like crazy.

He beat out Aaron Rogers in a head to head vote. I am pretty sure that Hillis didn't win a ring las year :alien:

To be honest, I think Rogers should have got it. But hillis' 'big year', considering what he did last year is probably what got him the cover.

I am hearing that they are shopping this pick like crazy.

I think they like the pick overall- and are perfectly OK with taking a player there- but ultimately they need to get the best value and PP gives that pick a tremendous value. While I will be surprised if they make a trade- they wont turn down a good offer from a mid-round team. I don't see them being willing to drop below #20 though where they start to see a loss on return in player quality. There are people who think if we drop back 4-5 spots we could still get Julio Jones and not "reach" for him.

Julio doesn't impress me enough to be a top 10 pick, though I know he will likely end up being one.

I think they like the pick overall- and are perfectly OK with taking a player there- but ultimately they need to get the best value and PP gives that pick a tremendous value. While I will be surprised if they make a trade- they wont turn down a good offer from a mid-round team. I don't see them being willing to drop below #20 though where they start to see a loss on return in player quality. There are people who think if we drop back 4-5 spots we could still get Julio Jones and not "reach" for him.

Julio doesn't impress me enough to be a top 10 pick, though I know he will likely end up being one.

Really? I think he's a great wide out. He makes big time catches and has for the past two years. Every time Bama needed him to make a grab, he did. I can't imagine him in a system that actually throws the ball. I'd love to see him in St. Louis.

Really? I think he's a great wide out. He makes big time catches and has for the past two years. Every time Bama needed him to make a grab, he did. I can't imagine him in a system that actually throws the ball. I'd love to see him in St. Louis.

Southern Homer! Here is my prediction for tonight, if Cameron Newton goes not go number one he will fall all the way into the twenties. Every team thats drafting after number 1 that would take a quarterback is running a westcoast system and Newton just doesn't fit that mold, he is way too inaccurate for that system.

I question his durability- and he never put up GREAT numbers in college despite the running game injuries and struggles. 15 career touchdowns, and only one season over 1000 yards.
I really like Hankerson in the second round as a value pick- great stats but not quite as physically impressive

I agree dude. I dont think he is a reach if he is taken in the top 10. Most of the people I have heard talk about green vs. jones basically just say "flip a coin on who you want, they will both be great"

I question his durability- and he never put up GREAT numbers in college despite the running game injuries and struggles. 15 career touchdowns, and only one season over 1000 yards.
I really like Hankerson in the second round as a value pick- great stats but not quite as physically impressive

hmm, interesting. I thought his stats were great considering he played with a Heisman award winning RB and then with another RB in the mix like Richardson. I also like Hankerson and the durability issue can be said about most incoming wideouts. Julio isn't afraid to come across the middle of the field, he's lethal running the deep outs and curls and can stretch the field. I think he's going to be impressive.

Umm. AJ never had a 1000 yard season either. IMO I think arguments could be made for both julio and green on which is better. I think the reason green is ranked ahead is because if the foot problem Julio had. Other than that they seem to be almost the same.

Both 6'3''
Jones is a little bit bigger at 220 than Greens 210
And Julio had a faster 40 at 4.39 to greens 4.5

As TC said, Alabama was never a passing-first offense while Julio was there, and he was being double teamed almost all the time as there were no other elite receivers on the roster. Julio was one of those guys that you would think had been silent all day, but you look at the stat books and he had 7 catches for 80 yards and a TD. I can tell you that twice, Julio won the daily battle over Patrick Peterson when LSU assigned Peterson to follow Julio wherever he went on the field.

As far as durability, Julio never missed more than a game even though he had a plate installed in his hand (was back in a game 5 days later), and he didn't even know he had the stress fracture when he lit up the watches at the combine.

Julio is also not the typical prima-donna wide receiver. He lets his actions speak for him, and I cannot ever remember him taunting opponents or anything negative like that.

I think whoever drafts AJ Green and Julio will both be very happy with their selections.

Umm. AJ never had a 1000 yard season either. IMO I think arguments could be made for both julio and green on which is better. I think the reason green is ranked ahead is because if the foot problem Julio had. Other than that they seem to be almost the same.

Both 6'3''
Jones is a little bit bigger at 220 than Greens 210
And Julio had a faster 40 at 4.39 to greens 4.5

I believe the scouts say that Green has better hands, and I can say I've seen some highlights of sick catches he made at UGA.

I agree with AD on this one, but I'm a Lee Westwood homer.

I dont question his durability at all, but I dont value him as a top 10 pick either. There are issues with him and his score (for what its worth) that drop him down. He has incredible size and strength and that will be a great factor for him at the next level. He has decent hands, but not elite hands. However there is a major concern with him and that is he is not a good route runner. He has improved slightly, but he is still average at best in that department and that goes back to disclipine and in the NFL that wont work.

He is also not a deep threat, because while he has good speed, he does not have breakaway speed against NFL corners.

All of this is my opinion going in and basing it on draft profile scoring.

I agree with AD on this one, but I'm a Lee Westwood homer.

I am a Bama homer, and I can't report anything bad about Julio, but I'm still not sure exactly what makes Marcel Dareus worthy of #1 or #2 except that the draft is not top heavy. AJ/Julio is just a toss-up to me though.

Now, the drafting of Cam Newton would make me toss my Panthers Fan Club Card...if I had one.

Oh yeah, and I hope the Pats do not take Ingram with any of their picks...I'd hate to be sympathetic in any way toward NE.

I dont question his durability at all, but I dont value him as a top 10 pick either. There are issues with him and his score (for what its worth) that drop him down. He has incredible size and strength and that will be a great factor for him at the next level. He has decent hands, but not elite hands. However there is a major concern with him and that is he is not a good route runner. He has improved slightly, but he is still average at best in that department and that goes back to disclipine and in the NFL that wont work.

He is also not a deep threat, because while he has good speed, he does not have breakaway speed against NFL corners.

All of this is my opinion going in and basing it on draft profile scoring.

I think the good but not breakaway speed issue is valid. To be honest, I hadn't noticed an issue on routes, but I don't have enough knowledge to pick that out unless it was horribly blatent.

My question of his durability has more to do with playing style than past performance. He is billed as a physical receiver and a strong blocker. I agree that he fits a Hines Ward mold in that regard. BUT... not many people can do what Hines Ward does and stay on the field. There is a very large difference between college and NFL when coming across the middle. If the browns take him- it is in a division with Lewis, Reed, Harrison, and Polamalu. Thats a heck of a group of guys to get popped by across the center. He very well may be a tank and can handle that + blocking... but that is the exception and not the rule. He is sturdy but is he THAT sturdy? he showed he was tough by playing through injuries, but those injuries take a toll long term.

He is a great talent, to be sure- but I don't think he is the 6th overall pick.

My question of his durability has more to do with playing style than past performance. He is billed as a physical receiver and a strong blocker. I agree that he fits a Hines Ward mold in that regard. BUT... not many people can do what Hines Ward does and stay on the field. There is a very large difference between college and NFL when coming across the middle. If the browns take him- it is in a division with Lewis, Reed, Harrison, and Polamalu. Thats a heck of a group of guys to get popped by across the center. He very well may be a tank and can handle that + blocking... but that is the exception and not the rule. He is sturdy but is he THAT sturdy? he showed he was tough by playing through injuries, but those injuries take a toll long term.

He is a great talent, to be sure- but I don't think he is the 6th overall pick.

Not sure, but I understand where you're going with it. I think he gets moved up the pecking order a bit because there seems to be a drop off between him and AJ then the other WRs. We'll see...actually, I would love for him to drop to 10-15 and the Falcons trade up for him in that range.

I think the good but not breakaway speed issue is valid. To be honest, I hadn't noticed an issue on routes, but I don't have enough knowledge to pick that out unless it was horribly blatent.

That route running issue is the biggest knock against him right now with the good but not great speed coming in at close second. Outside of that he is the total package. Unfortunately those are two major factors with WRs especially if they plan to excel early. I expect him to be very good, but top 10 pick good to me is a reach (based on score only).

Back