How far have you taken friendly competition?

palindromicbob

Reaction score
Handicap
well me and friends in my 4ball decided to make our own competition outside the society we play in. got a trophy for the winner at the end of the season and blog to chart the progress.

some langauge so NSFW
(removed link)
so how far have u gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
lol. we normally just bet a coke or a snickers..........

I've been in some skins games where a couple of hundred dollars changed hands, but to be honest, the bigger money brings out the worst in some people. I find it just as much fun to just play for a few bucks or drinks.

I have a good friend I play a lot of golf with and we normally play for a mtn dew at the end of the round.

My dad and I play for "the kingship." Whoever wins (based on handicap) becomes the king until the next "battle." The king gets the title and respect, as well as bragging rights such as "aren't you going to load up the king's bag?" Also, we each have a custom made ping shirt that says "the king" on the chest and it can only be worn when you hold the title. Fun stuff and bragging galore.

I never play for anything because I always lose.

usually for lunch

We play for money, maybe $20 or $30 just to keep it interesting

I used to love betting my dad because he never made me pay when I lost. Now that I beat him 90% of the time he doesnt pay up either and its all good. :) With my friends we usually bet fish tacos. I did have to pay for Brazilian BBQ (+/- 50.00) once because my buddy beat me 5 times in a row.

I've been in some skins games where a couple of hundred dollars changed hands, but to be honest, the bigger money brings out the worst in some people. I find it just as much fun to just play for a few bucks or drinks.

+1...My group plays $5/round and we play skins/CTP/and birdies.....Friendly enough...I would rather play a Stableford type of game, but not in the cards with these guys...When I worked at a course on the OBX I saw guys (supposed friends) get into shouting matches and fist fights over big $ bets...Not worth it to me...

I normally play skins with my buddies, $5 a hole, enough to make you nervous but not enough to ruin your week.

Me and my buddy (he's a true scratch golfer) play $1 skins. I get a stroke on every hole but par 3's. And two strokes on the number one handicap hole.

I always end up owing him, because he almost always shoots under par. The worst he's ever done while playing against me is +2.

I know I'm gonna lose against him, but it is worth the improvement it makes to my game when we play.

if anyone fancies seeing the blog and doesnt mind the odd bit of bad langauge u can see it at (removed link)
some of the other things people are at are giving me more ideas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
we normally play €2 for the best front 9 €2 for best back 9 and €2 for best overall. i think if to much money becomes involved then it isn't as much fun just to play

the blog is pretty cool though

That's a cool blog. Should give me some good entertainment on rainy days in the office.
As for competition with friends, we normally bet quarters (granted, with the games you play, you may pay up to $1.00 per hole). Oddly enough, no one ever pays each other, so I'm not sure why I still carry a roll of quarters in my bag.

My dad and I play for "the kingship." Whoever wins (based on handicap) becomes the king until the next "battle." The king gets the title and respect, as well as bragging rights such as "aren't you going to load up the king's bag?" Also, we each have a custom made ping shirt that says "the king" on the chest and it can only be worn when you hold the title. Fun stuff and bragging galore.

This is awesome, lol! I might have to rip-off your idea and start using this with my friends.

I once bet a brand new 53* wedge against a full set of irons. I was playing the assistant pro, needless to say I got beat but not as badly as I expected.

Not all bad though as I got the irons anyway a week later when he changed his clubs

Yeah I'd like to play for a couple bucks, but my friends don't have handicaps and playing straight up doesn't bode well for them. So at most we'll bet a soda, maybe a hot dog.

My two old College roomates and I used to play Gin Rummy Very comptetively. So much so that one of them went out and bought a fake WWF Championship Belt. I know one of them still has it.

[/I][/B]

+1...My group plays $5/round and we play skins/CTP/and birdies.....Friendly enough...I would rather play a Stableford type of game, but not in the cards with these guys...When I worked at a course on the OBX I saw guys (supposed friends) get into shouting matches and fist fights over big $ bets...Not worth it to me...

With our money games, "rolling" the ball became commonplace which evolved into moving the ball several feet for some guys if you were not watching closely. One foot gimme putts evolved into six foot gimme putts etc. When you start having a hundred bucks or more on the line, it just breeds cheating with so many people.

Etiquette and the rules flew out the window over time. Feelings get hurt and friendships get broken this way. I just stopped playing these games. Even our weekend skins games that have been going on for thiry plus years are getting out of hand now days.

I used play a game in VA called the wheel. Those have not played in the wheel they are fun.

Readers digest version.
The Wheel = myself and a partner
The field = everyone else.
Each player is given a letter A - D..A get no shots, A- get .5 shots, B+ gets 1 shot, B- 1.5, C+ 2, C- 2.5, D3 and D- 3.5. Each member of the field can pick as many partners as the y want against the wheel. So if there are 10 in the field and you take the field for $10 you have 9 bets out. You and each of your partners are now playing two man best ball against myself and my partners best ball. Your various letter combinations will determin how many shots you get from the wheel. BTW the wheel played even, both players are A players. Any one can be the wheel but on this day both players were A players, no shots.
The field had 30 guys, my partner and I had not been playing well and everyone at the club knew it. For some reason when we arrived at the course on this particular Friday in late August we where feeling our oats. We announced we were taking all bets and we would be the wheel. The bets poured in, $5 and the field, $20 and field, The head pro jumped in to the tune of $25 and the field. It seemed as If everyone had 29 bets against us. I was nervous because we couldn't cover and everyone was out for us.
The battle was legendary...not really we just shot 8 under best ball and swept the field. Niether one of us paid for golf gear the rest of the year since three members of up management were into us for $1500 a piece. We ate for free on a couple tabs for the rest of the year and took home well over 5k. Needless to say we never were given bets again as the wheel. I have played in many since but never with those stakes. Now I know at Upper Marlboro CC in Maryland they used to run a serious wheel.

This is awesome, lol! I might have to rip-off your idea and start using this with my friends.

It's a lot of fun and it takes the actual $ out of the game, which keeps it friendly.

Back