Recent content by Arnold

1. A

Switched fro Stiff to Regular

My driver broke and I borrowed a friend's. My old one was a 10.5 degree R-9 with the stock stiff shaft. My friend had an older G-10 with the stock regular shaft, 9 degree. My driver swing speed tops out at around 102, with a lot of them measured at 98-100. So, I tried this driver until I could...
  2. A

Stricker, Gay, Holmes Wrist Hinge

After struggling for a while with control(fighting a hook), I decided to try to copy Steve Stricker and just feel as if I do not hinge much or at all in the backswing. This felt really weird and sort of scary at first. I felt as if I did not have time for the club to set and I also felt like I...
  3. A

How Long Can You Continue to Improve?

One of my friends just turned 64. His dad still plays(in his late 80's) and still shoots, occassionally , in the 70's, playing the courses at about 6,000 yards. My friend's dad told him that he played the best golf of his life at age 64. My buddy is good, about a 5 , and feels that this is his...
  4. A

Atlanta?Alpharetta Courses

Heading down in March for the 5th time. In the past we played Trophy Club, The Manor, Echelon, Cobblestone, and White Columns. I read about another course, Smokerise, that the public can play. We like trying different courses. Can anyone suggest other possibilities in the area. Thanks.
  5. A

Custom Fitting-For Real?

I get these videos from Revolution Golf sent to me. I like them, the instruction seems very good. Thye, occassionally, have a club maker/fitter fellow, Bronson, talk about equipment issues. He claims that manufactires, 99 out of 100 times, ship "custom fit clubs' that ,if one measures lofts...
  6. A

Why Would it be More Diffiicult to "work" the ball with "game improvement irons"?

Why Would it be More Diffiicult to "work" the ball with "game improvement irons"? This makes no sense to me. I understand perimeter weighting and low CG help with getting it airborn and offcenter hits. But, don't swing path and face open/shut dictate curvature? Why would perimeter weighting wtc...
  7. A

Is "golf" a verb?

Just wondering. Going back 50 plus years in this game, it seems to me that only relatively recently have I heard phrases like " I golfed today" or "we were golfing Pinehurst". The Scots seem to always call it "the golf". Not of earthshattering importance. But, I always feel if it is used as a...
  8. A

Are Rocetballz and Rocetblades delofted?

I was trying the Ping i20's and hit the 7 iron about 160-65. Then the salesman asked me to try the Rocektblades. They went 180, but launched 6 degrees lower. If these are delofted and with a lower trajectory, I think they would hinder scoring. Just curious if other have noticed the low filght...
  9. A

Hi from Minnesota

I stumbled upon this site while researching shaft options for my imminent i20 iron purchase. I really like the site and he members all seem very friendly and knowledgeable. I have played golf for 52 years now, starting as a caddy playing Mondays.I played DIII golf and I work part time as a...
Back