Recent content by Philo1

1. Philo1

Vary Shaft Weights in Irons?

Has anyone besides me considered this? Ive come to this idea because I just bought a set of CF 16’s from Callaway preowned and not happy with the result. Nothing at all wrong with the purchase, it said as new, and they were for 1/2 the price - I like that. It’s that I like the way I hit the...
  2. Philo1

Playing My First Tourney

Club championship in two weeks, home course. Just got my handicap tonight, I’m 14.2. Kinda high, but I’ve only been playing golf 2 years 4 months, so I’m not too down on myself. So, I would love some advice on how to prepare. Do I keep up my same schedule or ramp up practice for preparation...
  3. Philo1

I Found My Unicorn

I got a glimpse of it on Saturday.....observed it again on Monday....and now I know it’s real. I can now hit 290 down the middle. This is me celebrating, that’s rum and coke.
  4. Philo1

Driver Refresh/Makeover

Last year I bought a Callaway Razr Fit driver from the bargain bin of my local golf store. I think I paid $85.00 for it. It is now my gamer and has been. Love the shaft, and the feel of the club. But it’s a bit of an older model, and I prefer the new driver look with black face. So I painted...
  5. Philo1

Play Golf or Do Chores?

Let's say you worked all week at your job; but had some chores around your own place you needed to get done. Saturday is the only day you have to play golf, or do the chores. Which do you choose.....play golf or do chores? PS. It's sunny, 75 degrees and there's little wind.
  6. Philo1

How Long Does it Take to get Good?

"I'm tired of losing.....I want to win!" - Nacho Libre. That's how I feel. I've been playing golf for two years now and I have made excellent progress in many ways. I have given a full hearted effort to improve. I practice and play frequently. I've read books, watched video's, etc. and so...
  7. Philo1

Iron Questions

I have quite a few actually. 1. Do irons actually wear out? 2. Why do you buy new irons? 3. How often do you buy new irons? 4. If your current set wasn't particularly old, or worn out.....would you still buy a new set? Thanks.
  8. Philo1

My 200 Yard Go-To Club Has Gone

Again!!!! Arrgh. I've been golfing for about a year and a half now, and I"ve always had a "go to" club I could use when I wanted a good shot straight down the middle around 200 yards or so. First was a Cobra baffler 23* hybrid that eventually got to be my 225-230 yard club. It was awesome...
  9. Philo1

One Year Ago I Shot 82

I had been playing for six months at the time. Since then, I've practiced, practiced, played and played, had a lesson, made a hole in one, two eagles, driven the ball 300 yards twice, and still my scores haven't improved. WTF?! I feel like I'm a better golfer now, my putting is better and my...
  10. Philo1

Mizuno JPX EZ (2016) vs Srixon Z565 Irons?

If no one cared (ie. your wife) about you buying another set of clubs, and your handicap was between 10-20, which of these irons sets would you buy and why?
  11. Philo1

Best Game Improvement/Max Game Improvement Irons Ever?

Greetings. Looking for your experiences with the above. Game improvement, max game improvement whatever you want to call it. What are the best iron sets available in these categories? The more information the merrier. Lengths, lofts, shaft info, current availability.... and most...
  12. Philo1

How to Play This Shot

Hole 7 home course, 500 yards, par 5 last 150 is downhill. The picture doesn't show how downhill it is. It's steeper than it looks in the photo. TBC.
  13. Philo1

I Almost Quit Golf Today?!!

And I'm not much of a quitter. But I couldn't even hit the ball. This has happened to me twice now in three weeks time. I've been on vacation for three weeks and today was my last day. I have played golf almost every single day I've been off - unless it was raining. During that time I...
  14. Philo1

Disrespectful Course Thrashers!!!!!

Aaargghhh! I'm so frustrated. We've been getting some rain. Yesterday, I think it started around 11:00 am and pretty much rained all day. It also rained some last night. It was overcast, misty, foggy etc. this morning. I check the forecast....very little chance of rain, I'm going golfing...
  15. Philo1

Putter Length Question

Hello all, I'm new to the sport; been at it a year now. I've learned a lot, but have a lot to learn. I'm focusing on putting now and really trying to improve there. I currently play a 35" putter and as I experimented the other day, I found that I seem to feel more comfortable with a 34"...
Back