At what point in a new year do you typically start playing good golf?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6
For those of you who have a winter layoff, at what point do you normally find your groove?

I'm playing pretty good right now. For me anyway. Of course I've only been playing 9 holes at a time, while dealing with a sore knee.

I would guess that I start playing my better golf towards the end of April. As it starts warming up, the hotter it gets, the better.

We play year round, but I'm with @WLG1952 - my game starts coming around in April or so, when the temps start rising. I'm not bound up in a bunch of layers, my muscles are looser, and my joints aren't as creaky. I'll gladly play in the hot over the cold.

I typically play similar all year. If I take a break for a couple of weeks or longer it usually takes me a couple weeks to get back in tempo. I also struggle if it's really mushy outside so the wet part of winter and spring can mess with my game.

My low of 2023 was in July, so a few months after we started playing for the season up here.

A few weeks in after the winter my scores level out. As it dries out and I work on being longer my scores get wonky.
Then at the end of the season I will shoot my best and worst score of the year. LOL

For those of you who have a winter layoff, at what point do you normally find your groove?
I don't really have a layoff, as rounds can be posted on GHIN all year. I play as long as the wind chill is above 35° or so. I may not be able to play every day or even every week, but there are days in both December and January where conditions do allow. My handicap tends to go up with the cold weather as the ball doesn't go as far, wearing multiple layers doesn't help, and course conditions tend to be on the poorer side. As a result, historically it is in the May/June timeframe that I see my handicap trend down because my game regains consistency as I play more often, almost every weekday.

Typically the season starts sometime in April around the same time as posting season opens, and my cap rises until sometime in June, so roughly two months.

Took me a little while last year to start firing - late June/early July. Trying to meter my expectations a little more for when this season starts.

I’m on fire right now.

As shown here by the Grint.
1707659151554.png
In the third round of the new year I hit a new PB and shot +1 from the winter tees moved up to 5900y.

Last season and this one Ive started off pretty hot. Then I start getting in my own damn head about what specifically im doing in my swing that’s working and it all starts to unravel.

Trying hard to just go with the flow and not think too much this season. It’s a WIP.

I don’t really see much ramp up period as I’ve reviewed my scores the past few years.

With having a Skytrak my swing isn’t rusty when I get back on the course, but it usually takes the first nine holes for touch shots and putting to feel alright

My golf tends to peakish around July 4th weekend.

Me and Stella have been looking for our groove since 1998

I can frequently play good golf pretty quickly. I generally hit balls and do some speed work during the season so my swing generally is pretty decent. I actually shot my low round of the year in the first month of the season last year.

About mid season, then it starts going down hill. :confused:

I can say for sure it’s not currently. It’s brutal at this point. At least the blow up holes are anyway. There are some good points to the game but as a whole it’s not in a good place. Need green grass and a lot of range time. I’m stuck between old swing and what I know I need to be doing.

I usually play very well out of the gate. I played my best May through July last season. I shot my season best round in my third round of the season in May last year.

Early usually. Like March. I'll have some real good scores in the early heat of summer usually, but something always goes wrong with my body as the year goes on too. So the good play is early these days.

My best round last year was the very first one of the year in January and then it was all downhill.

For me, I usually take a few rounds to shake off the cobwebs and then I have a stretch of really good golf. For some reason, I usually then fall into a funk that lasts for a month to two months and then in around July, I play some really good golf. After that, my body seems to tire and in late summer, I lose some distance. Then, right at the end of the season, I usually have one more good stretch.

I somehow tend to throw out a good score first round out, and then downhill from there. Can’t make sense of it lol

Usually the first round or two because there are no expectations. Then my brain kicks in and its back to reality.

Back