The 60 and over Thread

One of the courses I play at senior tees 5941 68.9 118.

My home course has senior tees at 5584 67.2/113. We have lots of trees and the fairways are 20 to 25 yards wide. I am very good at chipping out from under trees.

So I’m bored out of my mind right now and freezing my butt off up on Long Island this week. I got into the car and went to the PGASS.
I hit the new Cobra, Taylormade, Callaway and Ping drivers.
The DarkSpeed X w Hazrdus Red 50 and the G430 10K w Alta Quick 45 were really nice. In fact the Ping was awesome.
The Cobra is $50 less than the Ping, and another customer told me on the side that if you order over the phone, Cobra will take 10% ($50) off the price of the club. Their shaft selection is awesome also… even in Senior. They have about 5 different no up charge A flex options, and they’re all real deal premium shafts.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing Ping drivers for about 15 years now, but I need to decide if the Ping at $600 is really so good I’ll pass on the Cobra at $500… or just play my G425 Max for a 4th season?
For once I was smart enough to walk out without buying. When I get back home next week I’ll be able to bring my driver in and do a direct comparison.

Last edited:
I like the Hazrdus Red 50g 5.0 in my TSR2. I would like to try my Helium Nanocore I was using in my Maltby in the Titleist. I ordered some TSR ferrules so I can try it. I’d like to compare on an LM.

I like the Hazrdus Red 50g 5.0 in my TSR2. I would like to try my Helium Nanocore I was using in my Maltby in the Titleist. I ordered some TSR ferrules so I can try it. I’d like to compare on an LM.
Great minds… Cobra offers the Helium Nanocore 40&50, at no up charg. I asked to try it, but they didn’t have one in the store.

Enjoying reading on the GHIN HI versus course handicap. The confusion matches what I found back when GHIN first came into play. After reading what little was out there, I started delving into the app and found the course handicap info. My current 9.6 HI gives me a course handicap of 3 from the golds. When I plug all my buddies in and Shift the tee boxes, we end up with nearly the same course handicap. My gold tee @ 3, Fred’s blue tee at @ 4, and Dick’s white tee @ 3. In our big money weekly game ($5 😉), if we all shoot decent, we’re shooting nearly the same score. It’s not perfect, but relatively close.

The senior (gold) tees at North Kingstown GC are 5,194 yards with a rating and slope of 65.3 and 106 respectively. The course is a Par 70.

That's pretty long for senior tees.
I struggle with distance, but like playing there. Compared to the other courses in the area.

My Qi10 10.5 (fitted) came with a Speeder NX TCS 50R shaft. If fits my swing tempo quite well. (SS @83). It, in my opinion, does have a soft mid section As when you waggle it is whippy as hell. But it did give me the best launch monitor numbers over the stock shaft. It apparently works for me, that after six rounds, 81% fairways. It did take several sim sessions playing with the hosel adjuster to get dispersion/trajectory where I wanted it (1.5 open, -.75 loft, 0.5 up). The sim results over my rogue indicate a +13 carry and total. On course appears to match that.

My Qi10 10.5 (fitted) came with a Speeder NX TCS 50R shaft. If fits my swing tempo quite well. (SS @83). It, in my opinion, does have a soft mid section As when you waggle it is whippy as hell. But it did give me the best launch monitor numbers over the stock shaft. It apparently works for me, that after six rounds, 81% fairways. It did take several sim sessions playing with the hosel adjuster to get dispersion/trajectory where I wanted it (1.5 open, -.75 loft, 0.5 up). The sim results over my rogue indicate a +13 carry and total. On course appears to match that.
I need to spend more time with a Qi10… I only got to hit it with a stock? shaft… good distance but my front to back numbers weren’t great compared to the others. I’m used to my Pings steady, more consistent results.

Wow.

I also have a Rogue ST Max and swing around 85-90 mph. If I could get 13 more yards, I would be ecstatic! 😃

Is the Speeder one of the shaft choices that comes with the Qi10, or is it a costly upgrade?

I struggle with distance, but like playing there. Compared to the other courses in the area.
According to a chart I saw, to play that yardage "comfortably" would require an average tee shot of 225 yards. That would leave me in the dust, lol.

According to a chart I saw, to play that yardage "comfortably" would require an average tee shot of 225 yards. That would leave me in the dust, lol.
You and me both, 190 is my average drive and that's total distance.

Managed a 73 today in some very windy conditions. I took a few more bucks from my favorite shill 😉😎. I hit a shot on the last hole with a fairway the the wind took 50 yards right and it went nowhere. For giggles I should look at my scores, even though we are out of season, because I bet my index off those scores would be about 2-3points lower.

I would like to put the Red Hzdrus in my Ping 430, need to find one on eBay.

So, after a second day of testing, I’ve eliminated the Cobra DarkSpeed from consideration.
I love the Hzrdus Red shaft, but the Cobra head looks cheap to me, and doesn’t suit my eye at address.
A new contender entered the fray, the G430 Max it seems to launch a bit higher that the 10K version, and distance was very similar, with the Max winning carry and the 10K total.
The Paradym AI was the best today (🙄) and I think if I pair it with the Hzrdus, it will separate itself from the two Pings. Here’s the issue though… I’m a little OCD with my clubs, and even though I couldn’t hit it with the AI, I held the one from the Cobra next to it, and they looked horrible together! 😂😂😂😂
That’s it for this week. I’m going to wait until I get back home and see how the 3 of them stack up to my G425. If I had to guess, none of them will warrant a $600 investment.

Last edited:
6 fairways, 11 GIR, 30 putts, 39 - 34 73. Birdies on 12, 15, 16 & 17. 11 was interesting. Hit a tree and ended up on 12 green. Hit another tree and ended up in 12 fairway, just missed the par putt. Anyone know how to get tree stains off a perfectly good ball?

I got my iron shafts. Hoping to install either late tonight or early tomorrow. I’ll have them in the bag Monday. Weather is going to suck until then. Someone at the muni asked why I was tweaking my bag so much when I am playing so well there. I said, it’s not for there, it’s for the club.

6 fairways, 11 GIR, 30 putts, 39 - 34 73. Birdies on 12, 15, 16 & 17. 11 was interesting. Hit a tree and ended up on 12 green. Hit another tree and ended up in 12 fairway, just missed the par putt. Anyone know how to get tree stains off a perfectly good ball?

I got my iron shafts. Hoping to install either late tonight or early tomorrow. I’ll have them in the bag Monday. Weather is going to suck until then. Someone at the muni asked why I was tweaking my bag so much when I am playing so well there. I said, it’s not for there, it’s for the club.
Assuming no chip-ins, four birdies made out of 11 attempts (36%) is very strong (y). I have years of stats and my average is 18%. Most of my golf is on one course with very large greens and another with very small greens.

Assuming no chip-ins, four birdies made out of 11 attempts (36%) is very strong (y). I have years of stats and my average is 18%. Most of my golf is on one course with very large greens and another with very small greens.
One was a no putt putt from 1’ off the green.

One was a no putt putt from 1’ off the green.
For my stats I count shots stopping on the fringe as GIR when it's an obvious putting situation. That's more meaningful to me than recording them as up/down attempts.
So you're still 4 for 11 ;) .

Back