What do you want from a 3w?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The question is simple what do you want from a 3w?

Max carry? Max distance? Don’t game one? Tell us why and explain.

Last edited:
I just had this conversation with myself, and the truth is I only successfully use a 3w off the tee. I very rarely hit it off the deck and when I do, it's a hot mess. I can't even remember the last time I hit it off the deck and hit a green. Off the tee, however, I smash it. So, it's either I get rid of the 3w and add a wedge, or I just let it be and never hit it off the deck.

Max distance, preferably carry.
Good off a tee
Good off the deck

The rest is on me to make sure it stays on the right hole lol

• Admin
I just had this conversation with myself, and the truth is I only successfully use a 3w off the tee. I very rarely hit it off the deck and when I do, it's a hot mess. I can't even remember the last time I hit it off the deck and hit a green. Off the tee, however, I smash it. So, it's either I get rid of the 3w and add a wedge, or I just let it be and never hit it off the deck.
A lot of people struggle with that however that is not the question. So are you looking for Max Distance then?

255-265+ carry off the tee.

Off the deck, I don’t care, I rarely hit them off the deck…but I can.

Consistency. When I was fit, there was one I was hitting 10 yards further than the one I game... But the dispersion, carry and consistency weren't there.

I want to know how far it's going, in what direction, and that it'll be playable when I get there.

• Admin

Probably because that deep face is hard to hit off the deck 😜

Probably because that deep face is hard to hit off the deck 😜
I’ve got no problems hitting it off the deck, and getting numbers to 95-100 feet peak. I can also hit flat ropes that roll forever when needed.

But, if I need to hit 3w into a par 5, then I need to just lay up and put a wedge in my hands instead, unless it’s a hole with minimal danger

Nothing.

If I want max distance I’ll play a second driver.

If I want max carry I’ll play a 4 wood or 5 wood as they carry a bit further typically.

I want a number with tight dispersion. I don’t hit them well enough off the tee to have the need, so it’s really a par 5 club to advance the ball. So if I know it will go 230-240 and end up with decent dispersion it helps me advance the ball on par 5’s.

Me + 3W = Miami Beach + Spring Break

We're just not good for each other.

Nothing.

Don't carry one because it's not useful for me. 5w on the other hand I want to be able to shape off tight tees and ones where driver is too long, and play into long par 5s.

Nothing.

If I want max distance I’ll play a second driver.

If I want max carry I’ll play a 4 wood or 5 wood as they carry a bit further typically.
Interesting. As someone who hits driver fairly well I don’t often find the need to hit 3w off the tee but honestly would never consider a second driver.

And you have that club. Don’t you dare start looking to change the 3 wood you carry.

I want max distance, I don’t hit it far enough off the tee on par 5’s to carry a 3W on my second shot so I need it to get some roll if I want to be on the green in 2. Plus I want it to be good for not off the tee and off the deck.

Being distance challenged as a slower swinger, I’m primarily looking a club that is easy to launch off the deck. I often hit a fairway as my second shot and getting that shot airborne is critical for me.

Nothing.

Don't carry one because it's not useful for me. 5w on the other hand I want to be able to shape off tight tees and ones where driver is too long, and play into long par 5s.
So the 5w then is more about control and whatever the distance is so be it?

And you have that club. Don’t you dare start looking to change the 3 wood you carry.
Oh, it’s safe, even if it drives @jdtox nuts that I play the things I play with deep faces 😜

It’s normally a second shot into long par 5’s. So max distance , not bulky looking.

Oh, it’s safe, even if it drives @jdtox nuts that I play the things I play with deep faces 😜
Haha it doesn’t drive me nuts, it’s what you like. I however struggle with a deep face fwy but probably because I rarely hit off the tee

Distance wise 250y is idea but won’t complain about more. Most important though I need to be able to easily hit it off the turf

So the 5w then is more about control and whatever the distance is so be it?
It's more about distance, with control. 3W is too long to be useful. There isn't enough of a difference with it on tees where I can't hit driver. Here at least. And as someone who doesn't launch and spin a ton of the deck it's just not controllable into greens or easy to get the optimal flight out of consistently. 5W goes a little less far, launches and spins for a better flight, and then yes have to be able to work it through all the tight windows and ridiculous doglegs we have here.

When 99% of its use is off tee why would a person want anything that wasn’t deep faced.

When 99% of its use is off tee why would a person want anything that wasn’t deep faced.
Why not just hit driver then?

Back