What Draws You to a Shaft?

Personally as my player profile is nothing like a PGA Tour player at this point, I could care less what they are playing. I'll look more at LPGA player profiles as they are more like me than not. Price is important. No way I'm ponying up $300 for any shaft. Weight is important. Lighter will swing faster but does it have the integrity to be as light as it may be? And torque. Again as my profile is a 90 ss I understand I need some torque but how much? Less is better in the shaft that feels right to me.

Personally as my player profile is nothing like a PGA Tour player at this point, I could care less what they are playing. I'll look more at LPGA player profiles as they are more like me than not. Price is important. No way I'm ponying up $300 for any shaft. Weight is important. Lighter will swing faster but does it have the integrity to be as light as it may be? And torque. Again as my profile is a 90 ss I understand I need some torque but how much? Less is better in the shaft that feels right to me.
Torque is more closely related to feel than performance for most golfers.

Fitting aside, buzz (mostly on THP), aesthetics and my history with that OEM/product line are the major factors for me. I don't really care about tour usage.

Past positive experience with the brand and looks and description draw me in

Went to Club Champ. Tried out a hand full of shafts. VA Composites Badazz was best by leaps and bounds. It was also 1/2 the cost of others tested. Still playing it 2 years later.
Not sure why they are so disliked. We put those shafts in @BB Fan Girl woods and they are fantastic. I'm sure they are not for everybody but what is.

Have the VA Vylyn. Been gaming it for the last 4 years and it really suits my game. Like Doubleb21, I’m not sure why they are so disliked on THP.

Specs, looks and price. I don't think I've ever spent more than $170 for a driver shaft. One shaft I'm not drawn to is Graphite Design. They might be wonderful shafts but the graphics look "1970's disco" to me.

Never really thought about it. The first thing I do is check out the specs. At that point I may search THP for anyone that’s reviewed theirs. That’s usually when I’d consider a fitting.

Have the VA Vylyn. Been gaming it for the last 4 years and it really suits my game. Like Doubleb21, I’m not sure why they are so disliked on THP.
I don’t think anyone dislikes them really. They just advertise in an interesting manor. Pretty much everything is high launch low spin which is really impossible to create in a shaft.

They also don’t make anything . They order it , then paint it in a wild fashion.

Graphics get my attention first... Then I look at specs compared to what I currently play. If all that lines up, I look for reviews/feedback here and YouTube and try, and decide what's more applicable to my specific.... Debacle.

Materials and description of launch characteristics

Materials and description of launch characteristics
Question for you, that goes back to a number of things. Which VA Composites shaft would you want? Literally everything is high launch and low spin (which is simply messaging and certainly not the shafts)

Question for you, that goes back to a number of things. Which VA Composites shaft would you want? Literally everything is high launch and low spin (which is simply messaging and certainly not the shafts)
The Raijin sounds interesting. I tend to like butt stiff shafts and a faster tempo. My comment is just I find materials fascinating as I have Masters in Materials science. It’s always fun to try to figure out the engineering from the marketing in the website. Shafts like Ventus blue and Denali work really well for me.

Looks and description for sure.
The way a shaft looks can turn me away quicker than one can draw me in, but the description and buzz around it will certainly give me reason to try

THP reviews and feedback - same with most of my golf equipment pondering lol

I love tech and material advancements as well as improved applications.

For me it’s looks, description and hype.

I like this thread.

I'm biased with my shaft education from the PX experience.

But..... looks will draw me to it first, then I'll check out the specs. The PVD shafts are sickkkkk. My driver has a PX pvd blue and it's so cool. I immediately thought I wanted anything pvd such as smoke green. I had a smoke green pvd, and then quickly realized I'm an idiot.

I agree that even the name can be a turnoff as well. I.e. Booya from true temper is silly.

Tour usage doesn't affect my decision because I swing slow, and I'm a bogey golfer.

I know what I like with torque, and I know what my specs are.

I don’t really have a specific “draw” other than recommendations. It’s how each shaft in my bag other than wedges/putter have been put into play.

Buzz, description of feel/load, mid-high launch characteristics, and reviews on dispersion. Those pique my interest.

Back