Anyone gone from hybrids back to irons?

nostatic

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Varies
Conventional wisdom says as you get older your swing gets slower and long (then mid) irons become a poor choice (eg not enough yardage gaps). But I'm wondering if any have added a bunch of hybrids but then added some irons back. In my case I figured 7i or 8i was the end of the road before going hybrid. But I always liked hitting irons, even carrying (and using) a 1-iron back in the 90's.

As I've been rebuilding my swing, I added a 7i that is now is solid so thinking instead of hitting hybrid next (I have two choices, Ping and Cleveland), I'd add a 6i. I'd do an iron fit to try and sort it out if I can do it on grass - I don't like hitting irons of mats.

So wondering if anyone has gone "backwards" from hybrids to irons.

Been there, done that. Not everyone gets along with hybrids. If you can hit long irons like me, I have no problem sticking with them.

Hybrids for me were putting the left side into play way more often than I wanted and caused more problems than they solved.

Sometimes THE solution is just not for everyone.

I just ordered a 4i, Unsure if the 3h is coming out or a wedge,

Been there, done that. Not everyone gets along with hybrids. If you can hit long irons like me, I have no problem sticking with them.

Hybrids for me were putting the left side into play way more often than I wanted and caused more problems than they solved.

Sometimes THE solution is just not for everyone.
It's funny because I don't hook hybrids, and actually had a short period where I was pretty entertained by a G425 34* 7H. But there is something much more satisfying to me looking down at an iron and hitting it well. I clearly have psych issues but such is life...

Over the past 7 or so years I have dabbled a bunch on the top part of my bag with hybrids, driving irons, and fairway woods.

Have had 2, 4, 5 & 6 hybrids in the bag, 4 & 5 utility irons and 2, 4, 5 & 7 woods at one time or another.

The bag set up I keep coming back to and that I am playing currently that has worked the best for me is 9 degree Driver, 16.5 degree 4 wood, 21 degree 7 wood, 24 degree 5 hybrid then 26 degree 5 iron.

Driver and next is 3i.

If I cannot get there with the 3i, I need to layup as nothing works better anyway for me.

Yes. I’ve tried a few hybrids over the years and always seem to go back to irons and/or fairway woods. They just seem to work more consistently for my swing.

Latest was trying a one length hybrid in the 5i spot. Ended up with a driving iron instead and am quite happy with it.

I have a 5H in the bag and then go to a 5 iron from there. 5i is about the limit of what I can semi-reliably get anything useful out of, I've considered putting a 6H in that spot and starting my irons at 6i (hybrids and irons of the same number gap about a club apart for me).

I went from irons, to fairway woods, back to irons, then back to fairways. Just the past few months I started playing hybrids when I found that the G425's don't hook on me. Neither did the Paradyms, but the G425 are much more consistent. So ended up with the 5, 4 & 3 G425 Hybrids from Carls, great deal since they are now a generation old.
Other than my UHX 4I that owns a 200 yard all carry par 3 at a league course ( I won closest to the pin 3 of the last 9 times we played it- 16 guys.) I'll play the 5H and interchange the 9&7 woods as the course firms up and I want the ball to land like it was dropped by a B52. The UHX 4I will get in the bag at least once every third week when we play that particular par 3. It's a mental thing, and besides, if it works, why not?

Considering the conventional wisdom of switching to hybrids as we get older was something I gave a lot of thought to. I was playing driver, 3-wood, 2 hybrids(18* + 21*), than Cally X-20 irons from 4-PW. Never really hit those irons straight as I would have liked. My confidence was just so-so with them. Anyway, went thru my bag in 2020, starting with a new driver, same 3-wood, kept the 18* hybrid, and replaced the X-20's with a set of "hybrid irons" from GigaGolf, in Florida, starting at the 4(24*), to the PW(46*). Little bit of a learning process, but they have been pretty good for me, and my confidence in them is good. The clubface is smaller than a conventional iron, but not bad. I had been playing Cleveland 900 forged wedges(52*,56*,60*), but they were getting worn, and bought some CBX2's in 50*, 54*, 58*. Game changers to say the least with my short game! Recently, replaced my PW HI with a 46* CBX Zipcore, for a little more versatilty at the bottom. Got a new putter too. Cleveland HB Soft 11c. Trying a new ball, and want to see how it performs off of these HI's in my bag. I know the driver is a lot better with this ball. With the HI's, the ball gets up easily, out of most lies, as it seldom gets caught in longer rough, and distance is slightly better(~5 yds) than the irons I was playing, but was not a big learning curve. They have great feel on just about every shot, and feedback on a bad swing is known right away. Pricewise for a set is really reasonable by todays standards, costing me around $400 with shipping. Got the shaft I chose, shaft length, and as a chargeable upgrade($5/club), I got Lamkin grips. Purchsed a headcover set to keep them looking nice. Tech might be slightly outdated, but they play well for me, and if someone is looking for a starter set, or wants to add to their current set, very reasonably priced option. So, at this time, I don't see myself going back to conventional irons anytime soon. I enjoy playing all my hybrids...

Conventional wisdom says as you get older your swing gets slower and long (then mid) irons become a poor choice (eg not enough yardage gaps). But I'm wondering if any have added a bunch of hybrids but then added some irons back. In my case I figured 7i or 8i was the end of the road before going hybrid. But I always liked hitting irons, even carrying (and using) a 1-iron back in the 90's.

As I've been rebuilding my swing, I added a 7i that is now is solid so thinking instead of hitting hybrid next (I have two choices, Ping and Cleveland), I'd add a 6i. I'd do an iron fit to try and sort it out if I can do it on grass - I don't like hitting irons of mats.

So wondering if anyone has gone "backwards" from hybrids to iron

I switch back and forth all the time. Usually twice a year. Both my hybrids, and irons are fitted to my swing. I even keep a bag of Hogan blades (unfitted) handy just for the fun of it.

The switch from hybrids to cavity backs takes me about 2-3 days of practice (6 hours) to adjust. There's a small club head weight difference between the two. That, and I need to stand a little taller with the cavity backs. .

The main reason I switch is due to winter/summer course conditions. Cooler months the turf is wetter, softer. Warmer months the turf is dryer, and much firmer.

I play 3, 4, 5 and 6 Ping hybrids and love them. My iron set came 4-PW but I always struggled big time hitting anything over a 6 iron and I came to despise looking down at them at address due to all my mishits.

For those that have issues with hybrids always going left for them, have you ever tried the "flat" setting? I have all my hybrids set to flat and I get a very reliable, straight ball flight out of them this way. Might just be me though....

Back