Aretera Alpha One Shafts Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
It is hard to remember a time when a new aftermarket golf shaft manufacturer created the buzz and attention like Aretera. However, when the lead designer also created the most popular driver shaft out there, it is merited. That is the situation Aretera finds itself in with the introduction of their debut designs, the Alpha One Blue and Gray. THP was able to get both shafts in-hand for review, and they did not disappoint.

Continue reading...

Thanks for the write up. The more I learn about shafts the more I learn that I don't know. I think it's a really under thought about (by the usual golfer) portion of the club, there's always so much focus on the clubhead but showing that just a shaft can make some difference, is a lot of fun to see.

Golf shafts are fascinating, confusing, amazing, dreadful and all things wrapped into one the more I read the material compositions and how people create these things. I’m here for it. The performance seems very solid. Be interesting to see how well received they become.

Great write up @Jman ! It seems that this shaft does everything that was discussed in Off Course! Which one would you game?

Was the dispersion tighter than you were accustomed too? Did swinging the driver take any acclimation since it’s feel and energy transfer were different?

Thanks for the great review as always @Jman. It's interesting to see that the excitement for the product seems to also translate to the performance of the said product. Yes the man behind it has a good track record, but real world performance shows the truth. And it (performance) seems to be in spades here!

I need to find a place to swing one of these. I love the Ventus and these sound incredible on paper. That's just a big pill to swallow at $450, so I'd have to see some data to show me it was worthwhile. Great write-up Jman!

• Staff
Thanks for the great review as always @Jman. It's interesting to see that the excitement for the product seems to also translate to the performance of the said product. Yes the man behind it has a good track record, but real world performance shows the truth. And it (performance) seems to be in spades here!
They’re impressive. Truly impressive.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. Spread tow sounds interesting. Ventus blue is one of my favorite shafts ever so I’m not opposed to paying a premium if a shaft works.

I’m sure this might be a hard shaft to find without going to a high end fitting studio but if I do see one in the wild I’m immediately jumping in line to give them a swing.

• Staff
Great write up @Jman ! It seems that this shaft does everything that was discussed in Off Course! Which one would you game?

Was the dispersion tighter than you were accustomed too? Did swinging the driver take any acclimation since it’s feel and energy transfer were different?
On monitor and course they both equated out pretty close in dispersion. I’ve honestly enjoyed the blue the most on course so far with where my swing it, but, playing it in 9.0 cg forward heads plays a role there and that 10% softer tip section of the shaft brings a little comfort in the golf swing there.

That said, I’m way beyond impressed here, the feel is absolutely stellar in both, and the performance is everything I hoped to see. They’re really good.

I feel like these have had a lot of buzz for a while, definitely on my short list to try...but as @Tywithay said $450 is a biiiiiig number

Thanks for the write up. The more I learn about shafts the more I learn that I don't know.
100% this. I think I begin to have an understanding and then read another article or follow an experience and realize that I really have no clue. Interested to see if this is something that finds its way to other THPers bags, or if the cost prohibits a lot of folks from exploring it. (Not saying that its a poor price point, but it is after all a premium shaft)

Thanks for the write up @Jman and for putting in all the leg work you do.

100% this. I think I begin to have an understanding and then read another article or follow an experience and realize that I really have no clue. Interested to see if this is something that finds its way to other THPers bags, or if the cost prohibits a lot of folks from exploring it. (Not saying that its a poor price point, but it is after all a premium shaft)

It's absolutely a premium price point for that shaft. We're talking upwards of a grand for a DIY driver with all new components.

Like you said though, it's not good or bad it is what it is, but that price means it's not something that I would ever just pick up and be like yeah, let's give this one a shot to see if I like it.

Thanks for all the detailed info here. I think the blue 55g would be the natural choice I'd gravitate towards. I love all the technical info. Think they have a little work to do on the aesthetics personally, but that's just my eyes.

Nice write-up @Jman. These sound like they deliver, and the presentation is pretty slick.

Being that it’s from brain of the man who created the Ventus, it’s going to get some traction based on that alone.

That said, the price isn’t low, but rarely are entrants into this market low.

I’m excited for more people to hit them and more feedback to come in.

Thanks for all the detailed info here. I think the blue 55g would be the natural choice I'd gravitate towards. I love all the technical info. Think they have a little work to do on the aesthetics personally, but that's just my eyes.
They’re simple, but not, visually.

I will say, I do appreciate the color choice as it goes with literally any driver head out there, but it does feel like they tried to capture that subtly identifiable visual like with Ventus, and it’s just not quite there.

It's absolutely a premium price point for that shaft. We're talking upwards of a grand for a DIY driver with all new components.

Like you said though, it's not good or bad it is what it is, but that price means it's not something that I would ever just pick up and be like yeah, let's give this one a shot to see if I like it.
Definitely not something that I'll be picking up to try for funsies either. However I'd say the fans of Ventus, who follow the behind the scenes stuff and know the brain behind the creation will be jumping at an opportunity to put one of these in play.

Being that it’s from brain of the man who created the Ventus, it’s going to get some traction based on that alone.

That said, the price isn’t low, but rarely are entrants into this market low.

I’m excited for more people to hit them and more feedback to come in.
Guess I should have seen the other posts in the thread before I replied to Daluteh- I thought the same thing, Ventus being what it is there will be folks who go to it based on the name alone.

Great article. Is this line squarely aimed at the Ventus line (even tho that line has a few more choices being a more mature product) or a pure brain child design?

I agree with others on the price, but the performance speaks for itself for sure. Love to try, initially I'd say Gray for my swing but as we've seen elsewhere, fitting is more important than reading the label.

Great article. Is this line squarely aimed at the Ventus line (even tho that line has a few more choices being a more mature product) or a pure brain child design?

I agree with others on the price, but the performance speaks for itself for sure. Love to try, initially I'd say Gray for my swing but as we've seen elsewhere, fitting is more important than reading the label.
It’s different imo. Mainly because the materials and application here are a different level than that of Ventus.

On monitor and course they both equated out pretty close in dispersion. I’ve honestly enjoyed the blue the most on course so far with where my swing it, but, playing it in 9.0 cg forward heads plays a role there and that 10% softer tip section of the shaft brings a little comfort in the golf swing there.

That said, I’m way beyond impressed here, the feel is absolutely stellar in both, and the performance is everything I hoped to see. They’re really good.

That’s awesome! Thank you @Jman !

Want to try these as asap as possible.

Really great writeup. The data is interesting and as said seems to show the differences in the shafts. I'd love to swing one and compare to my Ventus TR Blue.

I'm not sure how I feel about the look, the white doesn't bother me but the graphics and lettering still make me think Ventus for some reason. Also not a fan of graphics being on both sides.

Really great writeup. The data is interesting and as said seems to show the differences in the shafts. I'd love to swing one and compare to my Ventus TR Blue.

I'm not sure how I feel about the look, the white doesn't bother me but the graphics and lettering still make me think Ventus for some reason. Also not a fan of graphics being on both sides.
Definitely some familiarity with the graphics like you say, old habits die hard?

Back