PXG Black Ops driver

MH

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
These seem to be getting a lot of buzz lately and I’m curious if anyone here has hit them and can share feedback? The footprint of the tour head looks almost perfect (minus the finish) I really wish they kept the matte finish. I have never had the opportunity to hit a pxg driver so I don’t know if the hype is real but sure seems like they have a winner with this release. I would love to hear any thoughts on either of the heads. I didn’t see a thread on these so if I missed it please delete.

Last edited:
Going to bump this just to see if anyone has hit, seen these drivers. Looking for any kind of feedback, judging by the intial response this got i'm guessing not too many have. Haha. I have never hit a PXG club and don't recall seeing any in bags up here.

I’m doing the driver challenge tomorrow. Didn’t even consider PXG previously, but went for a fitting a few weeks ago just out of curiosity and ended up getting the 0311 Gen 6 XPs which have blown me away. Decided to sign up for the driver fitting, so I’ll let you know how it go’s.

I’m doing the driver challenge tomorrow. Didn’t even consider PXG previously, but went for a fitting a few weeks ago just out of curiosity and ended up getting the 0311 Gen 6 XPs which have blown me away. Decided to sign up for the driver fitting, so I’ll let you know how it go’s.
do they still have the offer that gives you $$$ if the black ops doesn’t beat your current combo?

These seem to be getting a lot of buzz lately and I’m curious if anyone here has hit them and can share feedback? The footprint of the tour head looks almost perfect (minus the finish) I really wish they kept the matte finish. I have never had the opportunity to hit a pxg driver so I don’t know if the hype is real but sure seems like they have a winner with this release. I would love to hear any thoughts on either of the heads. I didn’t see a thread on these so if I missed it please delete.
Quite a few guys at my club play or have played PXG clubs. Most seem to like the irons really well but I've heard mixed feed back on the driver though not this one as far as I know (I'm really not familiar with the PXG line up and what they are playing). A couple really liked them while others didn't care for the drivers that much and changed.

Reactions: MH
do they still have the offer that gives you $$$ if the black ops doesn’t beat your current combo?
They do. I think the time to book it is running out though. Speaking to the fitter when was doing my iron fitting, he said they have something like a 93% success rate in favour of PXG. I really like my Ping G420, so it’ll be interesting to see how the PXG performs.

Recently did a drive from VA to SC and along way in Charlotte was a PXG store. I set up a driver fitting. I fully expected to buy the Black Ops. Went in hit a few irons to get loose and fitter proceeded to give me two heads the 9 and the 10.5, Each with a few different shafts. All told I hit about 8 different iterations of the options. Meantime prior I hit a half dozen balls with my Epic Flash driver. The only caveat I gave the fitter was that I was relatively certain that the shaft I had in my current Epic a VA Composites Badazz would be going in the new driver. So I told him I wasn't interested in upgraded shafts. He couldn't build a club that went any further than my Epic. So I left without a new driver. This was part of that $200 bet that they could build a better driver. I tipped the fitter and told him I appreciated his honesty. If he had pushed I would have bought something as that was my plan prior. Meantime I went to a store in Columbia and tried out the Paradym Smoke Max and bought it. Have played a hand full of rounds with it and love it.

Tried it out last week and it was very good. I really liked the look of the Tour-1 head. I was seeing high launch and low spin. Their drivers have been iffy in the past but this one seems much better.

I'm doing a driver fitting tomorrow also. I've hit the irons so well I hope the driver and 3 wood are the same!

Tried it out last week and it was very good. I really liked the look of the Tour-1 head. I was seeing high launch and low spin. Their drivers have been iffy in the past but this one seems much better.
Interesting on the launch, I always play 9* low spin heads and was actually thinking I might need to bump up to 10.5* if I was to take a flyer on one. Golftown in Canada is carrying these now so I may actually get to hit one next time I in the city

Interesting on the launch, I always play 9* low spin heads and was actually thinking I might need to bump up to 10.5* if I was to take a flyer on one. Golftown in Canada is carrying these now so I may actually get to hit one next time I in the city
I tried the 10.5* tour-1 head which saw the better launch for me. I attribute it more to shaft than anything. Ventus blue 6s in the pxg (11-14* launch) vs Linq white 6f4 in Darkspeed X @ 10* (9-10* launch). I’m not a big launch monitor guy so it was pretty interesting and eye opening.

Ok, I’ve just come back from my fitting. For context, I currently play a Ping G410 plus. Not that fast of a swinger (I’m even slower than I thought after seeing the trackman data LOL) always struggled launching the ball, the Ping is the first driver that’s really had me launching the ball well. Didn’t try the tour head as there was no way that was going to work for me, so this is just the regular head. The big difference straight off the bat was the PXG felt way more solid. A lot of that was due to the sound, the Ping ping vs the PXG thud. The PXG was much more pleasing. I’ll post about the fitting process in the thread I started, but you need to get fit into one of these if you are going to consider it. During the fitting I see some big differences in launch and spin. I gained about 5 or 6 years, dispersion was better and it sounded better, but whether that justifies the $650 price tag or whatever it is, I’m not sure.

Last week PXG had a demo day at my club. Although I was mainly looking at the Gen6 irons, he did a fitting on the black ops. After several heck no shaft attempts, he settled in on a Diamana that suited me quite well. It felt great, sounded really good and distance was at/near my Qi10. I really liked the trajectory we were getting as the decent would likely encourage more rollout.

I'm hoping to get a chance to hit these this year, on their Canadian website the shaft choices are very limited

Back