Total distance question

Nick Kane

Reaction score
So my 5,6 and 7 iron go roughly the same distance and was wondering if anyone knew why? If this a swing issue?

Also, when I hit driver I can only carry 200 yards for a total of 230. I tried 5-6 drivers on the Trackman and my spin would be 2k for some drivers and 6k for other drivers. However, I would get the same distance (roughly) for all of them.

Can anyone help me out here? Like what do I need to do to correct this? I also only hit my 2i 210 while my 5,6,7 roughly go 185.

I did this test with @pumbaa at golf galaxy and it has had me stunned since we left.

Do you have any more data on the 5-7 iron shots?

So my 5,6 and 7 iron go roughly the same distance and was wondering if anyone knew why? If this a swing issue?

Also, when I hit driver I can only carry 200 yards for a total of 230. I tried 5-6 drivers on the Trackman and my spin would be 2k for some drivers and 6k for other drivers. However, I would get the same distance (roughly) for all of them.
Do they go the same distance on the sim and on the course?

How old are your irons?
Have you had your clubs loft and lie checked?

I can put him on mlm pro 2.
My thoughts.....look at the Apex as he goes 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5. My guess is that he's not delivering a swing speed that can support reaching similar apex with all his irons. as that drops...so does the distance. Of course there are caveats to that. however, the question is about total distance. One would think that ball speed should increase from 7 to 5i thus roll out should show increased total.

How old are your irons?
Have you had your clubs loft and lie checked?
Just got fit for his new irons. Literally took them out the box

My thoughts.....look at the Apex as he goes 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5. My guess is that he's not delivering a swing speed that can support reaching similar apex with all his irons. as that drops...so does the distance. Of course there are caveats to that. however, the question is about total distance. One would think that ball speed should increase from 7 to 5i thus roll out should show increased total.
I thought it had to do with how he delivers the club face. Nick has a very scheffler happy feet swing.

This could definitely be the issue with the swing speed or you may be manipulating the loft on your clubs. Even though the irons are new and you were just fitted if you consistently get the same distance with all those clubs it would probably make me double check the loft.

I thought it had to do with how he delivers the club face. Nick has a very scheffler happy feet swing.
I would think that has some impact on it. but it would mean he changes his delivery from iron to iron.

I would think that has some impact on it. but it would mean he changes his delivery from iron to iron.
I'll throw him in the sim and post videos some time this week. @Nick Kane you have to come by the house this week

This could definitely be the issue with the swing speed or you may be manipulating the loft on your clubs. Even though the irons are new and you were just fitted if you consistently get the same distance with all those clubs it would probably make me double check the loft.
I agree. The rest of the data from the MLM2pro should help sort this all out.

It's pretty common among golfers with slower swing speeds to have the longer irons kind of bunch up distance-wise. It's because the swing is too slow to properly elevate the long irons and the golfer just doesn't get enough carry distance from them. The solution is usually to replace the longer irons with hybrids or high-lofted fairway woods which are much easier to elevate. I doubt it has anything to do with lofts being out of spec. The fitter really should have made this recommendation upon seeing the OP's swing speed.

It's pretty common among golfers with slower swing speeds to have the longer irons kind of bunch up distance-wise. It's because the swing is too slow to properly elevate the long irons and the golfer just doesn't get enough carry distance from them. The solution is usually to replace the longer irons with hybrids or high-lofted fairway woods which are much easier to elevate. I doubt it has anything to do with lofts being out of spec. The fitter really should have made this recommendation upon seeing the OP's swing speed.
The thing is he has plenty of swing speed. He swings faster than me

Is his AOA playing a roll like standint to far forward with his 7i and to far back with his 5?

Do they go the same distance on the sim and on the course?
I have not used the irons in the course yet on the SIM. I am hoping it will perform differently on the course.

I am going to hit them at the top tracer and hoping I may see different results from the SIM

The simple answer here and don’t take this the wrong way. You don’t swing the club fast enough to create gaps in longer irons. Get hybrids and ditch long irons.

The simple answer here and don’t take this the wrong way. You don’t swing the club fast enough to create gaps in longer irons. Get hybrids and ditch long irons.
Then how do I? I'm so lost here he definitely swings faster than me.

Should I swing harder? My irons are the best part of my game but I only swing them at 65-70%. I would just assume based of loft no matter how hard I swing as the loft decreases the yardage would increase.

Should I swing harder? My irons are the best part of my game but I only swing them at 65-70%. I would just assume based of loft no matter how hard I swing as the loft decreases the yardage would increase.
Sorry. Not how it really works. As clubs get longer, contact always for every player no matter how skilled gets more and more critical to create launch conditions. If your clubs are bunching up. It means 1. You either lack to the speed to create launch conditions or 2. Strike quality is not good enough to create separation. Long irons are hard man. It’s a common issue. Even on solid strikes you may not be elevating them enough. Remember gravity is constant and the ball is always going to go further in the air then on the ground.

So, the best thing to do is improvise, adapt and overcome. Choose clubs that are designed with thicker soles to improve launch and make contact easier. With technology to create faster ball speeds with the same input. This way the ball gets more airborn and has more carry..

Unless I am missing something this is what is happening and needed based on the info as I see it. I am not trying to bash you. I have as much speed as anyone and still I look for help in this same area to creat launch.

Yes. This. My longest iron is a 6 iron. Then 5h,7W,Heavenwood. Loft and weight pushed back is your friend. Trust me. All about carry distance. Roll will vary. Carry will not.

Just got fit for his new irons. Literally took them out the box
The sucky thing about almost all fittings. They are done with a 7 iron. Most almost never hit long irons. Do you hit the 7 irons relatively good. The set shows up and the person is like “what the hell” I can’t hit this 5 iron I was fit for. Well, you were really fit for a 7 iron and hoped it worked for the whole set.

I am sure some fitters account for this but it can be hard depending on fitting carts and what is available.

Back