Lefty playing right hand golf??

evry1lovdj

Reaction score
Ok I don’t know if it’s me but I’m about to give up. Shots so inconsistent. To this day I don’t know the feel or the proper release to do a push draw… anyone lefty having same issue?

Lefty with the same problem. Although I’m not giving up playing left-handed, just accepting the fact that I’ll never hit a draw.

I'm a lefty. Golf righty. Actually play most sports righty. Can play tennis with either hand and switch hit for softball. I also play guitar righty. There's just far more flexibility and information on the righty side of things.

I’m a lefty playing right-handed.

I don’t think it has helped. My theory is that when throwing a ball left-handed all my life, my body has become accustomed to the necessary weight shift. Had I learned golf left-handed, weight shift may have come more naturally.

Improper - or lack of - weight shift continues to be my nemesis in the golf swing.

I’m a lefty who plays righty. The people who got me into it are all right handed so that’s how I learned. I don’t really mind one way or another, I’m usually pretty decent with either side depending on the activity.

Im left handed in everything apart from golf which I play right handed. I don’t think it’s hindered me. Lowest I got was 9. I’m not a particularly big hitter, my iron play is pretty crap and I don’t release through the ball that well, but I think that’s more to being self taught than playing with my non dominant side. If Phil Mickelson can become one of the best players in the world playing the wrong way round, there’s no reason why anyone can’t play to a half decent standard.

I’m a lefty playing right-handed.

I don’t think it has helped. My theory is that when throwing a ball left-handed all my life, my body has become accustomed to the necessary weight shift. Had I learned golf left-handed, weight shift may have come more naturally.

Improper - or lack of - weight shift continues to be my nemesis in the golf swing.

Hey @JonMA1 - read a lot of your posts and didn't realise you were a lefty playing right handed. I'm not but my first ever coach was a natural left hander who learnt left handed and then taught himself to play right handed as he couldn't afford new left hand clubs and right handed were more readily available 2nd hand. He went on to play on the lower US tours right handed. He was interesting as I was learning with a left hander and this guy could demo the swing either handed which was fun to watch and the results were equally as good....

I have read many times that the dominant arm in golf should be the lead arm and not the trail arm so you guys who are naturally left handed playing right handed should be easier - but I accept the weight shift might feel strange. All I can say is - I am now learning to play with swing FEELS and not swing THOUGHTS. Though this is harder to begin with until I can make myself aware of the feel we are looking for, it is starting to pay dividends in terms of consistency of strike etc.

A

Cross dominant but had a stroke that took out the coordination on my right side.
Right hand world so I learn how to do everything again with my right side.
But I can do anything with my left, including butchering meat with razor sharp knives.
More strength on my right. Better fine motion on my left.

Studied this years ago. I decided that the left eye dominance and right hand clubs had an advantage.
May want to look into that. Eye dominance. I have a very consistent swing.
Lately I've been doing yard projects until I'm tired, and then swinging driver to send foam practice balls across the yard.
Trying to get a consistent tempo no matter what.

Later I found that right hand clubs were much easier to find.
I have some wedges that aren't common as right have clubs, like my ladies flex 56/8M Vokey.
It is nice to buy stuff like that off the shelf and not have to put together something myself.

All I can say is - I am now learning to play with swing FEELS and not swing THOUGHTS
I’ve made that transition as well. I still have swing thoughts but I no longer take video or do any mirror work to try to hit certain positions.
As for the weight shift, I will sometimes achieve it and I’ll know it by how I finish. I just can’t control it naturally without a lot of thought and effort. Something I don’t want to do while playing golf.

As for the weight shift, I will sometimes achieve it and I’ll know it by how I finish. I just can’t control it naturally without a lot of thought and effort. Something I don’t want to do while playing golf.

It's hard to create that move as it's not an easy FEEL for me. Lots of swings without the ball just focused on feeling the first move as a weight shift into the lead foot. I've found that practicing 1/2 swings with a wedge with the weight starting on the lead foot helps to get that feeling.

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

I'm a lefty that plays righty, but I also started swinging a club at age ~5 so I can't say I felt very established as a left handed person.

The one thing I think was a huge benefit swinging onto my dominant side is that I never had an issue with flipping the wrists. In fact it's so unflippant that I struggle with launch & spin more than anything else. Whenever I do swing lefty (which happens like once a year for the lulz) I have very strong flip-tendencies and hook it a lot.

Back