Search results for query: *

1. 5150

2022 Season Stats - Post Yours Here...

We've reached the "official" end of the season here in St. Louis... not that I won't play any more this year, but I can't post any more rounds. Below are my stats for the year. A few disclaimers: I played it down religiously with very few exceptions (most of which occurred in the last 4...
  2. 5150

5150's Mental Game Thread

@JB feel free to move this if you think it would fit better elsewhere... We talk a lot on THP about the mechanics, equipment and courses, which is great. I'd be interested in chatting with others who are focusing in hard on the mental aspects of the game. I'm 45 y/o, in reasonably good...
  3. 5150

Please don’t talk to my ball…

…it doesn’t listen to you. Minor pet peeve: when others immediately start telling my ball what to do after I hit it. “Climb!” “Get left!” “Go!” It’s fine now and then… but in the last few weeks I’ve played with a few guys who either gave the ball instructions OR assessed my swing/shot...
  4. 5150

First hole birdie... and then...

Had the front 9 to myself yesterday at dusk; just enough time for a quick 9. 430y straightforward par 4. Driver, center cut, got a good rollout, ended up next to the 150 marker. That's a bomb for me. Alrighty then. Let's roll. Pin was short, playing 135y. Trouble short. Smooth 8i should...
  5. 5150

AZ Trip 2021 - Mountain, Desert and Stadium Golf, in that order

Just sharing some pics and thoughts on my AZ golf vacation this past week… I played a fun member/guest up at Forest Highlands. This was my second time playing up there and it was fantastic (again). Highlands has two great Weiskopf designs - Canyon and Meadow. Canyon is the top-rated course...
  6. 5150

Desert Golf (Rattlesnake Content)

The guys caught this one by the caddy shack here at Wekopa in Scottsdale today. Stay in the short grass… or just take a drop if you hit it in the desert, haha.
  7. 5150

PHX Area - Looking to play week of September 27

Arizona THPers... I'll be playing at a member/guest in Flagstaff Sept 21-25 and am looking to get in a few more rounds in the PHX area early in the week of the Monday the 27th. I've played the courses below in the area and would be glad to do so again, but am always interested in...
  8. 5150

The Sober Golf Thread

I like a beer or 3 and consider a good scotch (neat, or maybe with one ice cube) to be one of the great pleasures in life. But I think I need to be done with drinking on the course. I’ve been playing solid golf lately - consistently in the mid 80s with gusts to the low 80s. Most of my rounds...
  9. 5150

Best Ball / Alt Shot / Scramble

Played a fun hybrid match today with 3 friends: 2 person teams Stableford scoring Holes 1-6: Best ball Holes 7-12: Alt shot Holes 13-18: 2 man scramble It was fun switching up the format every 6 holes and Stableford really speeds the round up since we just picked up once we got to double...
  10. 5150

2021 Goals

Looking ahead... My USGA cap is currently at 15.9. I'd like to get to (and stay) in single digits - so, get <10 and finish 2021 there. My all-time low is a 6.3, so I know I can get there. Take my 9-hole league cap from 7 down to 3. Finish in the top 3 in our club championship. I firmly...
  11. 5150

What Did You Learn About Your Golf Game This Year?

I think I learned a few things, in no particular order... curious what you all learned this year. Cheers, and happy holidays everyone! I VERY MUCH prefer walking to riding in a cart, and will do so anytime the course allows AND it's not super hot out. Golf used to be an excuse to drink for...
  12. 5150

You know you’re a Golfaholic when...

...you walk 18 holes in 37 degree weather, just to get one more round in before the temperature REALLY drops.
  13. 5150

Dallas (Southlake/Keller area)

I’ll be in Dallas the last week of September. Have to help my dad move on Thursday Oct 1, but I’m free Fri/Sat/Sunday to play a round or two. Any recommendations in the area? I tend to prefer courses that AREN’T surrounded by homes, but that’s not a big deal :) I’d be happy to tee it up with...
  14. 5150

Practicing on the green while waving us up

Had a new one today. Played a great local track on a beautiful 80 degree afternoon. We arrived on the first tee to find a 5-some playing from the tips. They looked like serious golfers and, from watching their tee shots, it was clear they belonged at the tips. No argument from me on that -...
  15. 5150

Drilled by an errant driver shot

We were on 9 tee. The hole plays next to 18. 18 tee plays basically adjacent to 9 tee, although it’s behind it by 40-50 yards. Somewhat of a safety issue from a design perspective, but it would take a REALLY bad tee shot on 18 to hit someone on 9. Well, the guys on 18 found a way. Someone...
  16. 5150

Use your core muscles

Just sharing a tip that has been VERY helpful for me lately... It’s a simple tip that I’ve read a few places and am kinda bummed I didn’t come across it sooner: Your core muscles (abdominals, etc) play a big role in keeping you stable while you swing. I’ve been working to make a habit of...
  17. 5150

Rant from a Random Single

Played a resort course Tuesday as a single... got paired with another single and a twosome, had a nice time albeit a slow round (5.5 hours), but it's resort golf, so I expected it to be slow. After some refreshment I went back out as a single for another 18; playing from the white (middle)...
  18. 5150

What are you learning from the game?

Mrs. 5150 and I were chatting about this last night. She’s getting her masters in psychology right now so we have a lot of deep conversations, haha. She mentioned according to a theory she was studying that people tend to compete for one of two reasons: to win, or to better themselves in some...
  19. 5150

First Round Since the Apocalypse!!!!1!1!!1!!

Courses opened up here in IL today and it’s 76 degrees and sunny WHOO-HOO! Played fairly well; we shot even par in a 2-man scramble. Felt great to get out and play. Hit a few bad shots but overall pretty good. Wedge game was dialed in.
  20. 5150

Golf Withdrawal

The stay-at-home order here in IL initially allowed golf courses to remain open with appropriate social distancing measures, but on the 26th the order was amended and golf courses were closed. I played on the 19th but haven’t played since. When the weather is warm I’m either on the course or...
Back