Search results for query: *

1. McRock

Eggs. How do you like them?

I just ate some eggs with my boys, fried eggs. I asked them how they liked the fried eggs (neither had ever eaten such a delicacy). Both liked, but were suprised by the texture versus the saltiness. My preferred eggs, in this order 1. Sausage fried 2. Bacon fried 3. Deviled eggs Anyways. Who...
  2. McRock

Iowa 2019 Unofficial Gathering

I believe the last time we hosted an unofficial gathering in Iowa, it was 2016. 2017 saw Iowa host a Regional Rivalry (which team #ShowMePrairie won, in case anyone forgot). And then there was nothing in 2018, how did that happen? We are in the initial stages of setting it up. In particular...
  3. McRock

Do You Eat a Mid-Round Meal from the Course?

I don't have a clubhouse at my course. So when I go elsewhere to play golf, often times I'll pick up something at the turn to eat, like a hamburger or a brat. But then, I get kind of groggy from eating and lose focus. So sometimes I stick to just a candy bar or something to get me by. Do you...
  4. McRock

Avoiding the Big Number vs. Playing Conservative

I was thinking last night that some people talk about how they play conservative. Then I was thinking of a topic several years ago that I think talked about avoiding the big numbers (big score on a single hole). It just got me thinking, I try to avoid big numbers, and I make decisions to avoid...
  5. McRock

Steel or Graphite, which do you prefer in irons?

As I look forward this year, and realize that new irons are becoming more and more likely, I find myself pondering what shafts to get for them. I don't know anywhere else that has such a high population of golfers who have tried, or are actively gaming graphite shafts in their irons. So THP...
  6. McRock

LPGA dress code?

What say you? Some of this stuff makes sense, some seems incredibly vague. I'll admit, there are some outfits that look downright ridiculous (I'm looking at you Michelle Wie). That said, its not like the PGA Tour doesn't have its share of 'wildly' dressed individuals (John Daly)...
  7. McRock

Do you order salmon (or other fish) at a steakhouse?

Ive had lots of good steak. To the point that I only order it at a select few places. So at many "average" steakhouses, I tend to order the salmon. (Never found the perfect salmon). What about you? Do you order the salmon at a steakhouse? ~Rock
  8. McRock

What Makes a Players Iron more Workable?

The other day, I was thinking about why people (and in particular, club companies) say that a more compact iron head, the players iron, results in more workability? Why is that? I play M3s now, and I can work them left and right, up and down. I played player's irons before that (muscle...
  9. McRock

WTB: 2007 Taylormade Burner Driver, 10.5*, Reg or Stiff Flex stock shaft

Just as the title says, I'm hopeful someone out there has an old, 2007 Taylormade Burner Driver laying around. Want 10.5* head. I want the standard head (meaning not the "draw" head). I also prefer that it have the stock, REAX shaft in it in regular or stiff, but if you have the driver and...
  10. McRock

What are you thinking, play it safe, or trust your shot?

This actually could apply to just about any golf shot, but I'll provide a scenario. You are 140 yards out in the fairway, slightly elevated (not more than a couple of feet), and the lie is flat. You are looking at a green that is 40 yards deep and only 20 yards wide. Pin is in the front...
  11. McRock

Thoughts and Prayers for my Area. Tornado.

Like much of the Midwest, strong storms and tornadoes swept across the region. One of those tornadoes hit a city near me pretty hard, causing extensive damage, including to the school. No reports of any major injuries that I've heard. This is going to be pretty hard for such a small town...
  12. McRock

How Do You Choose What Wood Shaft to Get?

There is a sizeable group of people on THP that seem to know what they are looking for when purchasing a graphite shaft for their woods. Whether it be a driver or fairway wood, I see these threads of new shafts coming out, and its like there are people knowledgeable just by reading the...
  13. McRock

How Do You Play to Win?

Poll time. During competition, what is your mindset to win? Are you aggressive, conservative, or something else? ~Rock
  14. McRock

What are you thinking with this shot?

Let's say you are in a competition. I don't care if its with your buddies on the course or something more formal, but a competition that is not a scramble. You are 2 shots down with 5 holes left, including the one you are on. You know that you can make up the 2 shots later if your competition...
  15. McRock

What One Improvement do you Wish Your Course would make? Why?

Let's assume money is not an issue. What one improvement do you think your home course could make that would drastically improve your experience at the course? Could be new greens, maybe redo the bunkers? Make greens quicker, slower, maybe have a bar in the clubhouse. New greens mower, gps...
  16. McRock

What's the Craziest Shot You Ever Pulled Off?

Sometimes, you just have to try something crazy. It's probably a casual round (or at least casual competition among friends), and there's your ball, you have no idea how to get it to green, but then that one crazy idea pops into your head. Sure, you have never attempted anything like that in...
  17. McRock

Are You a Ghostbuster, or a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

I'm a ghostbuster. They were cool, suave, smart, and they carried unlicensed nuclear accelerators on their back. It doesn't get a whole lot more cool than that. Also, they live in fire station, whereas turtles live in a sewer. I'd like to think it's pretty open and shut, but I'll open it up...
  18. McRock

How Often Do You Switch Your Ball Out, and What Do You Do With the Old One?

Some people, me included, subscribe to the theory that a ball is good until you lose it. Others say every 9 holes. Others say when they see a scuff. I've had a silly problem of getting lots of pine sap on a couple of balls, and so I had to toss them since I wasn't able to get them 'sticky'...
  19. McRock

Have You Ever Been Hit by a Golf Ball? (or saw someone get hit?)

Just what it says, share your stories about you, someone you were with, something you saw down the course, or maybe just some close calls. It was two years ago, early spring golf, grass wasn't even green yet. So I was walking, and some dad and his kids were out playing. No biggie. It's an...
  20. McRock

Do You Use One Wedge from Inside 50 yards, or Multiple Wedges?

I love the short game. Always have. It's just one area where I think that with creativity and practice, one can create some pretty amazing shots with the right wedge in their hand. For years, I used one wedge from about 75 yards and in. Some people will play a single wedge from all distances...
Back