5 Hybrid Vs. 5 Wood

nutdriver

Reaction score
Hello all... I am still a fairly new senior golfer and recently upgraded my first set of used/ancient clubs following a PXG full bag fitting. For my initial purchase, I went with the PXG 0211X hybrid irons, 6,7,8,9, PW, SW and the 0211 PXG driver. I am definitely hitting better and have been happy with these new clubs so far. They seem very forgiving. During my fitting, I was generally hitting the PXB 5 Wood somewhat better than the 5 Hybrid. I have not purchased a 5 Wood or a 5 Hybrid yet in part because I did not have a good grasp of why I would select one over the other.

So, what are the benefits and or limitations of a 5 Hybrid vs a 5 Wood?

They are pretty different clubs. The 5 hybrid is designed to replace your 5 iron both in loft and length generally speaking. The 5 wood is going to be both longer and lower loft and would be closer to fitting in right before your 3 iron or hybrid.

My 3 hybrid could replace my 5 wood for distance, but a 5 hybrid would fill an iron slot, usually the 5 iron.

You need both of course!

I’m 54 years old and I have both in the bag now.

My current 25 degree 5 hybrid takes the place of my 4 iron. It goes further than my 5 iron by a good 15 yards. It is my 185-190 yard club.

My current 5 wood is adjustable and is currently set at 17.5 degrees. It is really more like a 4 wood. It is easier to hit than a 3 wood and generally goes the same distance for me which is about 225 yards.

Both are going to be replaced soon when I receive my new Cobra golf clubs as part of the Morgan Cup. I will be playing the LTDx 24 degree 5 Hybrid and the LTDx 15 degree 3 wood lofted up to 16.5 degrees.

If you have not tried a 7 wood I would strongly recommend it. It is the club between my 5 wood and 5 hybrid. The 7 wood goes further than the 5 hybrid, it is my 200-210 yard club and is easier to hit off the deck than the 5 wood. I will also be putting a Cobra LTDx 7 wood in the bag.

The 7 wood is like magic for senior golfers. Many of the guys in our Men’s Golf Association play a 7 wood now.

Yes I’ve recently gone to a 7- wood for a 200-210 shot. Quite a reliable club.

Thanks all for this excellent feedback and advice! Very helpful. I will definitely also look at the 7 Wood. Most likely I will end up with at least a couple more clubs. I want to play more to see where my holes are for distance.

Back