GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE

AboutGolf’s Ben Witter Given Exemption Into World Long Drive Championship Qualifier

MAUMEE, OHIO—Ben Witter, aboutGolf’s Director of Golf, who is fighting cancer for the third time, has been awarded an exemption to compete in the RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship qualifying in Mesquite, Nevada beginning on Friday, October 23 and running through Friday, October 30.

Witter, a 45-year-old PGA Professional and Trick-Shot Artist with a specialty in power training, will be exempt in both the Open and Senior divisions of the RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship qualifying. Witter also will participate at the Oct. 30 grand opening of the RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship finals, where, after being introduced to the crowd, he will conduct a 15-minute trick-shot show. It will be aired on ESPN on Christmas day.

“The Long Drivers Association gave me an exemption partly because of the news of my recent health challenges and partly because of my history in the sport,” says Witter, who placed 13th in the 1999 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship after being the RE/MAX District 13 Long Drive Champion. He also was the 1984 and 1985 NCAA Long Drive Champion while attending Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where he was a three-time All-American.

Witter hasn’t lost his upbeat outlook or sense of humor despite his recent diagnosis of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the left lower mandible. Witter, who is seeking alternative medical and non-medical treatments, has beaten lung cancer after being diagnosed in 2005, resulting in a partial removal of his left lung through a thorocotomy. In March 1988, while playing mini-tours, Witter’s dream of becoming a PGA Tour star was derailed after his first bout with adenoid cystic carcinoma, which resulted in a partial maxillectomy of the left hard palate, followed by radiation treatment and several reconstructive surgeries.

Witter’s trick-shot routine actually was born during his initial cancer recovery.

“I began doing tricks in the hospital room to pass the time during treatments after my mother gave me a golf ball and a wedge to help me with my attitude and direction in life,” says Witter, whose lengthy stay at Houston’s MD Anderson Cancer Center resulted in the medical staff becoming Witter’s first audience.

During the ensuing 21 years, Witter—who became aboutGolf’s Director of Golf in 2005 and represents the company in his golf shows and appearances, and assists with aboutGolf growth and development—has added a new shot or stunt each year and remains in peak physical condition, despite his two subsequent battles with cancer. Witter still competes and entertains internationally and has placed third in the World Golf Trick Shot Championship.

Witter’s mastery of the golf swing’s physical form has enabled him to become one of the world’s best and most highly sought-after trick-shot artists. His amazing Power Golf Trick Shot Show is a combination of instructional subject matter, mind-boggling balance, uncanny eye-hand coordination and feats of athletic agility unmatched in the world of golf by even the most gifted tour players.

aboutGolf is the key component of Witter’s learning center, Ben’s POWER GOLF Learning Center, at Fairview Golf Course in Lebanon, Pa. The learning center features a highly advanced aboutGolf indoor simulator and launch monitor.

“I’ve used the aboutGolf simulator and launch monitor with hundreds of my students and I can confidently say that I’m 110 percent certain that I made the right investment,” Witter says.

Witter’s teaching philosophy and instructional beliefs are based on the same concepts he routinely demonstrates in his trick-shot show, where he uses sound fundamental principles to illustrate how function follows form in nearly every application. His blend of talent, knowledge and experience have made Witter one of the game’s most uniquely qualified and sought-after PGA Professionals.

“Ben, considering what he’s had to overcome with three bouts of cancer, has accomplished far more in life and golf than anyone. Ben is a role model for all of us,” says Bill Bales, aboutGolf’s CEO.

Witter—who has been featured in Sports Illustrated, GOLF Magazine and Ripley’s Believe It Or Not—has also created the award-winning instructional DVD series, “Rip It 300 Yards: The Power Golf Training System.” To learn more, visit Ben Witter's Ultimate Power Golf Trick Shot Show or call 717-273-3411.

aboutGolf is a 20-year-old Maumee, Ohio-based company that has been dedicated to golf for its entire history. aboutGolf is the world leader in indoor golf simulator technology, producing PGA TOUR Simulators, 3Trak launch monitors and Henry-Griffitts Custom Fitting. Historically, aboutGolf also produced Microsoft Golf, Greg Norman Ultimate Challenge Golf and World Tours, which is the world's most-widely-distributed golf simulation. aboutGolf® is a registered trademark of aboutGolf Limited, Maumee, Ohio.

Back