Alternative Approaches to Golf Conditioning and Feel

sangoram

Architectonically tuned
Reaction score
I was curious as to whether there are favorite alternative forms of exercise/training that forum members use specifically as adjuncts to improve their golf game and why they use them?
For example, does anyone use Tai Chi/Qi Gong, other martial arts, Feldenkreis, Yoga, ballet, archery, skeet shooting even other exercise programs (P90x, Insanity etc) or other sports, deep tissue massage etc to get themselves into better condition for golf?
I'm curious to see what folks that are quite into golf improvement are doing to enhance their games that goes beyond swing coaches, training aids/devices, new clubs, range time or short game work.

I personally have found aspects of Qi Gong, and Feldenkreis as well as stability ball work (with and without a club) to be useful for my game. I also started the Insanity series just yesterday and feel like it will get my body into better aerobic shape and simply stronger to maintain balance and position through the golf swing (but haven't done enough to see the effects yet).

I play better when I am riding the bike a lot. Balance, leg strength? I don't know but it helps.

I lift weights with a focus on on range of motion. Nothing revolutionary.

I run distance
if I'm prepped to run a marathon (26.2 miles), then walking 4 will not take much energy out of me

if anything, the golf swing is a core exercise that helps me become a stronger runner

A couple of years ago I did Power 90 - precursor to P90X - and loved it. Helped with my stamina. Two years later and my stamina was better after having lost 50 pounds, but have started to put some of it back on. Gonna be starting Power 90 again this monday, and starting some early morning yoga to supplement. I found that I really liked the stretching and calming aspects of the yoga part of the workout 3 times a week. The new one I'm starting is called A.M. Yoga with Rodney Yee. Will be moving onto P90X once I finish this 3 month program. But only going for lean, don't want to add bulk.

I have an 8 lb medicine ball that I like to toss around... Its good for simulating a controlled swing turn... and strengthens my wrists & hands.

I do insanity. Feel I'm not as tired after a round and just feel more in shape. Also my core is more stronger and my golf swing has benefited from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a gym instructor and pool lifeguard, I also teach classes and will often do a lot of the class while i'm teaching it. As a lifeguard I have to be a strong swimmer as we are tested regularly so i'm in the pool quite a bit. I try to only do heavy weights sessions if I know i'm not playing golf for a week or so as I find a couple of heavy weights sessions tends to limited my range of motion.

No real feedback on the golf issue, but I did the first 7 weeks of insanity and ended up bailing out. The impact just got to be too much. I wish you luck with it, but find it is a bit too much for the average just get in shape guy.

I finished my second run through of insanity last week. Highly recommend it.

Big fan of swimming, seems to help with core strength and overall conditioning. Thankfully, I enjoy it, so it's not a chore to head over to the gym and swim.

Conversely, I've tried various weight programs - with & without trainers - and while bored to tears, I was highly successful in screwing up any sense of timing in my swing.

Everyone is different, you'll have to find something that works for you.

No real feedback on the golf issue, but I did the first 7 weeks of insanity and ended up bailing out. The impact just got to be too much. I wish you luck with it, but find it is a bit too much for the average just get in shape guy.

I am doing the workout on a very spongy mat due to neck issues and wanting less impact and shock to my spine and joints... I am also focusing on the form and cardio aspects rather than the strain and power (since I want to loosen up and augment my feel) The end of the Plyometric series is kicking my butt right now, in a good way. I balance this with the gentle free form relaxing shi ba shi Qi Gong (18 pictures). I think I'm onto something with the combo of the two...

Back